Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-03-2011, 12:44 PM   #1

Driving: "Close Calls"

My wife and I were looking for a place to park our fiver in a restaurant parking lot, which was really congested and, as we discovered, not designed to be trailer friendly. I very carefully maneuvered around the building and found a place at the edge of the parking lot big enough for us to park, giving us a way to leave, and not blocking anyone else. Good on me.

Wife says: Wow, that was really tight. That roof overhang came within inches of the side of the trailer.

I say: What roof overhang?

I expect that others have had close calls, due to another's error or, like the error above, a personal error.

Fess up - what close calls have you had? We all may learn from a recounting of them.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:13 PM   #2

I had a close one last year. We had gone to the office and registered and had to go around a circle to be able to back into our spot. This area of the campground isn't really meant to handle a 36' bumper pull camper so it is tight in good conditions. There was a guy that had I had to wait for him to back his 5th wheel in. I stayed back, gave him plenty of room and waited patiently. When he got situated (I was going to wait for him to unhook and everything) he came out and started motioning me by. I go through watching my mirrors closely so that I don't get the front of his 2500HD on the left and a tree on the right. Good on the left, good on the right. All of a sudden I happen to look up in the mirror. The tree that is on the right takes a sharp bend out over the road about 7' up or so. It is within an inch of the awning.:lightning: I jamb the brakes on and start to figure out how I'm going to get out of this. I then realize the wheels are past the tree so at this point the trailer is going to start swinging away from the tree. I then eased it through and pulled through the lot across from ours and able to back it in then. We like that campground, but didn't like that area because the lots were so small. So we've decided if that is the only area available, we will go to a different campground. Not fun to walk out the camper door and run into the camper in front of you.
jwstewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:37 PM   #3

After riding in Driver Education cars for 32 years and giving state driving tests for 8 years I decided that close dosen't count. An inch is as good as a mile.

Can't complain too much as it helped me retire several years earlier than I expected.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:56 PM   #4

Two weeks ago we were headed out to the CG. traffic slowed down, a lady came up in the fast lane, nearly hit the truck that was ahead of me in the fast lane. She swerved into my lane just missing me. She lost control and spun sideways about 4 feet in front of my bumper. At 60 MPH I did not have very much time to think. I slammed on the brakes and just missed here right rear quarter panel by about 1 foot. She did not hit a thing. Ended up at right angle to the interstate in the brake down lane. I keeped it straight and did not swerve to try to miss her or we both would have been out of control,but my tt would have put me upside down in the ditch. It took a few miles for my heart rate to return to normal. Just after it happened a fedex semi passed me, I looked at him and he gave me a thumbs up.
Added Bedroom light switch and outlet https://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=7582
dlfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:32 AM   #5

2 RV's ago I was checking in at a national park campground. I parked close enough to do the transaction from the seat (the way it was intended) but as I pulled forward the trailer hit the overhang from the roof... small scrape on the fiberglass but took out a foot of evestroughing. Girl in the booth told me just to keep going as it was almost a daily occurrence.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:18 AM   #6

We had another one this past weekend. This wasn't one like Oh, man that was close it was more like, oh wow, this is tight. We were pulling into the campground going up a hill and a turn to the left with a sharp drop off to the right. I had the right front tire of the truck right at the edge, I could feel the edge of the pavement. Coming down the hill was another truck and another long trailer. On the inside of the turn was a tall hill. He was as close as he could get. I was as wide as I could get, but yet our trailer was still over the yellow line a bit. We saw each other and without talking both knew exactly what needed to happen. He had to stop going down the hill and give me a chance to finish getting around the corner a bit more. I was finally able to get past him, but watching in the mirror we were pretty close. When we were clear, we both gave each other a wave in the mirror. Coming back down, I was pretty cautious on that curve, but made it w/o passing anyone.
jwstewar is offline   Reply With Quote