Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-27-2017, 07:27 PM   #21

I like drones, but many (not all) of the people that are flying them are reckless and dangerous.

Everyone wants pictures of forest fires, and because of drone activity, there have been several fire fighting planes that have been grounded because they cannot predict the safety when the drones are flying

There have been several near miss accidents with EMS Flight helicopters and drones as well.

I am all for people having their toys, but please respect those whose life is endangered by the toys and avoid the problems

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:05 PM   #22
M&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
Being a Commercial Pilot and Flight Instructor. I am fully aware of the Drone regulations. I also fly a small drone. And it is fun. AND, I do have a UAS Certificate.
Be aware of the FAA Requirements as they do go after folks and fine is heavy.
The fine for flying a drone recklessly vary wildly: Some hobbyists have settled with the FAA for as little as $400, while others, such as the man who crashed his drone on the White House lawn, have paid as much as $5,500. More commonly, the FAA fines people between $1,100 and $2,200 and, if it receives pushback, offers to settle for much less. Commercial operators have been fined as much as $1.9 million.

See below:
A person operating a small UAS must either hold a remote pilot airman certificate with a small UAS rating or be under the direct supervision of a person who does hold a remote pilot certificate (remote pilot in command).
• To qualify for a remote pilot certificate, a person must:
o Demonstrate aeronautical knowledge by either:
Passing an initial aeronautical knowledge test at an FAA-approved knowledge testing center; or
Hold a part 61 pilot certificate other than student pilot, complete a flight review within the previous 24 months, and complete a small UAS online training course provided by the FAA.
o Be vetted by the Transportation Security Administration.
o Be at least 16 years old.
Additional fill from the bottom of Part 107:

Model Aircraft
• Part 107 does not apply to model aircraft that satisfy all of
the criteria specified in section 336 of Public Law 112-95.
• The rule codifies the FAA’s enforcement authority in part
101 by prohibiting model aircraft operators from endangering
the safety of the NAS.

Congress defined a "model aircraft" as a UAS that meets all of the following:
Is capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere
Is flown within visual line-of-sight of the person operating it
Is flown for hobby or recreational purposes

Operating under these rules, a remote pilot certificate is not required:

Fly in accordance with the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Public Law 112-95 Section 336). Under this rule, operators must:
Fly for hobby or recreational purposes only
Follow a community-based set of safety guidelines
Fly the UAS within visual line-of-sight
Give way to manned aircraft
Provide prior notification to the airport and air traffic control tower, if one is present, when flying within 5 miles of an airport
Fly UAS that weigh no more than 55 lbs. unless certified by a community-based organization
Register the aircraft (UAS over 0.55 lbs. and less than 55 lbs. can be registered online at registermyuas.faa.gov; UAS 55 lbs. or greater must be registered through the FAA's paper-based process)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I too have a UAS certificate, filed the day registration opened. My one quad (existed when the only "drones" were operated by various military agencies) was hand built and programmed and does not have all of the fancy features found on commercial offerings - I have to actually fly it. It sits and look pretty most of the time due to my self-perceived stigma. A dozen or so collective pitch helis and a couple fixed-wing are always on hand; those were learned well before multi-rotors became mainstream. To me, those are the most fun and relaxing. Plus raiding the local hobby store for parts.

That said, there are some really, really good videos the "drone" folks are producing and some would rival a Hollywood production. I also like the one where a guy remotely inspected his RV roof.

And Mustang65, you flew a Blade 400 from scratch and it "all worked out"? My hat is off to you! Fun days...
M&A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:09 PM   #23

I have a Phantom 3 Standard and really like it. I got a few extra batteries and a carrying case. (Cheaper if you buy them separately on amazon than if you buy the "Pro kit.)
Old 02-27-2017, 09:13 PM   #24

Drone anyone?

I can't tell you how many times I've rebuilt this Walkera, but that's half the fun. Good thing parts are readily available on eBay and the local hobby shop! It's been a couple of years since I've had this baby out, but I'm getting the itch again. I find this flybarless copter very difficult to fly in comparison to the ones I've owned with a fly bar!
Although I don't believe FAA 107 applies to hobbyists, I do plan on getting certified.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2017, 07:11 AM   #25

I started off "flying" with a TREX 600. Hovering would probably be a more appropriate term than flying. My buddy who has flown RC heli's since he was a kid could make his dance and we even strapped a GoPro to his before drones became affordable. But I now have a DJI Phantom 3 Pro and have just ordered the new DJI Spark. These I can actually fly and we have obtained some great footage from our RV travels. And I think the Spark will allow the same amazing quality and add the ability to be even more spontaneous.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:58 AM   #26

Appeals court strikes down FAA drone registration rule

Appeals court strikes down FAA drone registration rule - ABC News

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 08:05 AM   #27

My neighbor has one and it is fitted up big time with active camera. His house back yard is well covered with trees and only one way in to bring the drone back. He lands it right at his feet on his patio...

The part I dislike is the camera part of it. I sit in my yard all the time and of course can be seen from the folks walking down our street and all but when the drone comes over head to make it's landing I am quite sure I am in very large plain view... Just makes me upset alot.... Almost to the point of flipping him the bird... I have mentioned it to him a couple of time but this is the only way in for him I guess...

Taking it with on off-grid trips would be great watching the wild life and all but being around people in the private places would be a big problem with me...

I think there has been a new ruling out now about FAA not requiring them to be registered anymore... Something like that...

Just my thoughts....
Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 09:31 AM   #28

Drones, like other hobby vehicles, can be a lot of fun to own and operate. Just like motorcycles, 4x4's, and ATV's, drones may not be as much fun for your neighbors or fellow campers in a CG. The problem I have had is with drone hobbiest who think their fun is my fun, is that maybe I don't want my family weekend filmed by a stranger or interrupted by a stranger. On a houseboat outing last year we had 6 or 7 boats in a cove and were enjoying beach fires, swimming, and various water sports. One of houseboat owners brought out a 6' gas powered off shore racing style RC boat [no muffler] and proceeded to run it back and forth behind the houseboats at speeds approaching 75mph. The first couple passes were watched by all, but as it proceeded into the afternoon, after frequent refueling, the general mood changed to discussion on how to sink the da%m thing. After what seemed like hours, one of the engines suffered a irrepairable failure and we all got back to our relaxing day.

The same RC boat guy now has drones and to be honest he has helped a number of our friends list and sell their houseboat by supplying "fly by" videos and stills of the boat out on the lake. Boats look a whole lot more desireable away from the dock. He is now very respectiful of the rest of us and his drone flying is not a problem. He still has the 6' boat and its one of the first thing that my young grandsons ask for when they visit.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 09:58 AM   #29
Site Team

Low flying DRONES with cameras taking unapproved (by you) of you, your back yard....
Granted the newer ones have GPS installed and a program that does not allow them to fly over your designated "NO FLY ZONE", that you uploaded to the FCC's website. But what about those inexpensive or medium priced units that do not have GPS...

Just like cell phone (voice/text) JAMMERS (illegal here in the US, but you can still purchase them) a DRONE frequency jammer (also WOULD BE illegal here in the US) so what would you need. Since the major frequencies used are 900mH, 2.4mH and 5.8mH. You could just build a signal jammer that is more powerful than the transmitter's signals, OR intercept their signals, break down the data, extract the ID portion of the data, insert it into your HIJACKER code and of course a more powerful transmitter. Will only take a minute to capture the signal and convert it and take control (or just send crappy data to the drone using its own ID) and crash it into a tree or dive into the middle of the lake.

I guess I am just a GRUMPY OLD MAN, who considers others when he flies his drone.

Roy Braddy, being a RADIO man do you have the schematic for the jammer drawn up yet, or do I have to?

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 01:15 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
Roy Braddy, being a RADIO man do you have the schematic for the jammer drawn up yet, or do I have to?

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Have thought about that as well but this dude is Police College guy graduate so guess who would suffer first if he finds me jamming his video link hehe...

Its no big thing - He already knows where I pee on a tree in small woods behind my house. Also his Dad lives on the other side of me hehe doomed huh.... Of course I know where his dad pees on a Tree as well... We share a walking trail through both of our small woods area...

I'm kind surprised his Dad hasn't shot it down already hehe...

They both good neighbors and the dad lives by himself and has every tool known to man including multiple yard tractors and mowers... He thinks he is a Kansas farmer where he grew up at and wears different head gear and clothes depending what yard work he is doing... His dad doesn't watch any TV so that is a big plus for we Ham Radio guys...

I'm good just ranting I reckon.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:29 AM   #31

I own a Phantom 4 which I love to fly. When I fly, I only video my area and try not to bother other people. Like flying when everybody leaves the area. I really don't care to video what other people I don't know are doing, unless they ask me to take a picture or video. I'm more about the aerial view of the area and how my camper looks at the site. My drone is registered and my number is on it at all times.
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:44 AM   #32

I'm more of a fixed wing guy myself, although I have 2 little Verso drones (about the size of my hand) that I sometimes buzz around the campsite with.

I love my electric J3 Cub for camping. There's a float kit for it too that I may pick up.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:40 PM   #33

I need a drone... a mini drone with a camera that streams to my phone, staying a stationary distance from the rear of my trailer when I'm parking it and streaming video of the rear bumper and surroundings.

This is actually not hard to do, there's already a drone that would do this... why did I never consider until now that I needed this? LOL!

Backup cameras are so 2010...
ecksdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:46 PM   #34

I have 3 drones. 2 DJI's and a Yuneec Typhoon. But my favorite thing to fly is my avatar!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:54 PM   #35

It's currently illegal to capture/net a drone in the US. The FAA controls the airspace, not the homeowner. It sounds crude but it's true. That being said, you can't fly over congested areas such as stadiums, ball fields, etc. Must stay under 400' AGL. 5 mile restricted radius of airports unless you have permission from the ATC.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:56 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasum View Post
How are they going to know who shot it down Don??
With a 4K camera.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:03 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
See this is why we need this forum.... now I need to design and build a backyard ANTI-DRONE radar defense system

Don
Radio signal jammer.. drops them like a rock.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:52 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
Radio signal jammer.. drops them like a rock.

Not if you have returned to home point when radio signal is lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mod: Dimming awning
Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
SOMBATFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:02 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
I really don't care to video what other people I don't know are doing, unless they ask me to take a picture or video.
I totally agree; the last thing I wanna do is video a guy sipping a beer in his back yard.
I'm a registered FAA sUAS pilot and I only fly safely and in accordance with the law. I find more people are fascinated with the drone and want to see how it works. I was flying around Buck Hall campground and the Intercostal Waterway and I had several people that wanted pictures of their campers from the air so I emailed them the pic.

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 01:14 AM   #40

Hi, I recently got a Dronium One for a gift. I am a complete beginner, but to me it makes high quality videos and pics. Discovered a new hobby actually.
From my last trip to French Riviera: houses in Cannes

https://tranio.ru/france/provence-al...d_azur/cannes/