Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-27-2017, 08:54 AM   #1

Drone anyone?

I've always loved and have owned RC toys. I currently have a couple of RC helicopters. Just standard non GPS versions that are fun to fly, but are easy to crash!

I'm thinking about getting a drone. The units they have now are nothing short of amazing. Some of the newer features include GPS, obstacle avoidance, return home features, 4k cameras, waypoints, follow me, 3 to 4 mile range. The footage you can see on Youtube is really spectacular. I'd love to get one for some shoreline aerial photography down on cape cod.

Does anyone here fly drones? Any suggestions or awesome experiences to share?
Old 02-27-2017, 09:36 AM   #2

Hey there!

I too have a bit of an R/C big. It comes and goes though. None currently. However, back in July 2015 the Phantom 3 Pro came out and I was all over it! Check out the long distance flight around 1:33

I started with a Blade QX350AP which was a little cheaper. Notice the picture quality isn't quite as clear as the Phantom. Only kept it 2-3 weeks before upgrading.

This photo was published on lots of sites and even the newspaper. Corvette Invasion 2015

Then when I sold that, I bought the XMAXX

If I were to do it again, I would stick to DJI products. The only reason I sold the P3P was because I wouldn't stop spending money/time on it! I'm a perfectionist and want to do everything I can to make the best result. That meant I bought a dedicated iPad mini with cell service to take advantage of the waypoints and so on. Then I bought a better computer so that I could process the huge files. Then I bought software to edit photos and videos. Then I watched videos on accessories, how to's, and learned to edit video (somewhat)

I was spending more time trying to perfect it, than I was enjoying it. Oh, and the FAA regulations were still in up in the air. So, it depends on what you hope to get out of it. They are fun. They are expensive (depending) but they are enjoyable.

Hope that helps at least somewhat!
TMatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:45 AM   #3

Boys with toys! Awesome! They are pricey, but then again, so is my RC helicopter addiction. I definitely plan on going DJI. I think I've narrowed it down between the Mavic and the P4 pro.
For hobbyist use and travel, I really like the portability of the Mavic, but the P4 pro features are incredible! Thanks for your input!
Old 02-27-2017, 10:29 AM   #4

Have a few myself, and we fly them regularly for work. I will say make sure you read up on restriction's in your planned area of flight, and follow them closely. The industry up here in Canada is becoming more and more regulated due to anyone being able to go buy a Phantom 4 and fly it within 13k of an airport, causing near misses and large fines. Also up here any national parks are no fly zones without written consent from the park manager (not likely), and again this can result in a nice fine.

Don't let me discourage you, they are great fun and can lead to some excellent photo's / video that would be otherwise unobtainable. But i try to encourage everyone who expresses and interest in drones to Read up the local laws and fly accordingly, it's the people who don't do this that lead to more regulation and less ability to just have fun flying around.
Jm9301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:08 AM   #5

Many that have participated in RC for many years blame drones for bringing unwanted attention from the FAA... It's not the drones but the drown owners that do not think/care about what they're doing. Flying these in the wrong places, around large crowds of people, around airports, etc is just not a well-thought-out thing to do. I personally don't condemn them or their owners. They're just having fun, the same as I am when I have one of my RC gliders at 2,000' or higher. But please, think first...
Old 02-27-2017, 12:12 PM   #6

Yes.. points well taken. I've already began studying FAA materials/guidelines/maps regarding UAV rules and regulations. Use of any hobby aircraft requires paying close attention to the rules and regulations of the FAA as well as local municipalities. These vehicles are no joke. Spend 10 minutes on youtube and you'll see many videos in which the operator has zero regard for the rules and regulations. This is exactly why the FAA had to crack down.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:18 PM   #7
Site Team

I have a BLADE 400 3d chopper. I also use the FAA's B4UFLY App, it is in the App store or Google.

The city lets you fly the drones in the park about 3 block from my house.

I am getting a perturbed with the kids that fly their drones over my house (others also) with their cameras, but wait they have not been around for quite some time.... maybe someone took them out. Can only hope. Unfortunately, the FAA has taking one out with a gun as a MAJOR crime yet.... I assume a VERY HIGH POWERED kids cork rifle or paint ball gun counts also counts as a weapon... so I may have to build a signal jammer, probably the FCC would have something to say about that. But... the more expensive ones are programmed to return to their point of departure if the LIVE radio signal is lost.

I also put my address on the FAA's "NO DRONE ZONE", but you still can not shoot it down.... bummer...

Ahhh, maybe a toy water propelled kids rocket, with a guidance system, 4 of them mounted on a RC mobile ANTI-DRONE mobile tank (scaled down of course)

I guarantee you will see "ANTI DRONE VEHICLES (flying type)" on the market soon, they already have drones with guns on them (although not legal)...

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:34 PM   #8

How are they going to know who shot it down Don??
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:43 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasum View Post
How are they going to know who shot it down Don??
See this is why we need this forum.... now I need to design and build a backyard ANTI-DRONE radar defense system

Don
Old 02-27-2017, 02:47 PM   #10

if you really wanted to take a creepers drone out, a Net launcher would be the way to do it.
Jm9301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:47 PM   #11

I have a Parrot Bebop 2 that I fly. It is an amazing drone for a very good price. I plan to take it on our next trip with th RV. Lots of amazing features.
Centerline WDH
Hazman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:56 PM   #12

I have had the DJI Phantom 3 for about 15 months, and we take it everywhere we go in the Seneca. There is nothing better to capture the beautiful places we visit. It is extremely easy to fly in comparison to a typical RC-Heli (have a Blade 450 too)

Here is one of the videos taken - (this is the low res version - as JOF won't take large files) http://www.steve-edmunds.com/JOF/Gorge16.wmv
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:57 PM   #13

I know most of the comments are tongue in cheek but the FAA does consider drones to be aircraft and it's a Federal offense to shoot at them, let alone actually hit them (no matter how richly they sometimes deserve it). Added to that, it is against the law to discharge a firearm in most cities and towns.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:25 PM   #14

That's why they make pellet guns.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:02 PM   #15

There was a guy in Texas that shot one down. Come to find out it wasn't even above his property. The guy just didn't like the idea of a drone flying around. As I recall, he was arrested, fined and had to pony up $1500 to the owner of the drone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2017, 05:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
There was a guy in Texas that shot one down. Come to find out it wasn't even above his property. The guy just didn't like the idea of a drone flying around. As I recall, he was arrested, fined and had to pony up $1500 to the owner of the drone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just because I'm in Texas doesn't mean I did it! LOL!!
Old 02-27-2017, 06:50 PM   #17

I have to admit, I find them very interesting, which I blame on being male. I just cannot justify having one. If I had a "reason" for having one, ok, but just wanting to fly around taking video, cannot justify the time and expense.
Having retired from a wildland fire career, I have to say, they are a concern. Anymore you can't have a fire in the urban interface and not have drones. The responding agencies put their aircraft on the ground and watch the fire if a drone is in the area.
I did see an article online last summer of a drone gun, designed to jam radio controls. I advocate all initial attack aircraft having that technology onboard to "shoot'em down".
I may start a flame war, but unlicensed radio became a problem, requiring licenses. May be that is the future of drone hobbyists. I'd hope not, but the few can ruin it for the many.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:57 PM   #18

Being a Commercial Pilot and Flight Instructor. I am fully aware of the Drone regulations. I also fly a small drone. And it is fun. AND, I do have a UAS Certificate.
Be aware of the FAA Requirements as they do go after folks and fine is heavy.
The fine for flying a drone recklessly vary wildly: Some hobbyists have settled with the FAA for as little as $400, while others, such as the man who crashed his drone on the White House lawn, have paid as much as $5,500. More commonly, the FAA fines people between $1,100 and $2,200 and, if it receives pushback, offers to settle for much less. Commercial operators have been fined as much as $1.9 million.

See below:
A person operating a small UAS must either hold a remote pilot airman certificate with a small UAS rating or be under the direct supervision of a person who does hold a remote pilot certificate (remote pilot in command).
• To qualify for a remote pilot certificate, a person must:
o Demonstrate aeronautical knowledge by either:
Passing an initial aeronautical knowledge test at an FAA-approved knowledge testing center; or
Hold a part 61 pilot certificate other than student pilot, complete a flight review within the previous 24 months, and complete a small UAS online training course provided by the FAA.
o Be vetted by the Transportation Security Administration.
o Be at least 16 years old.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:05 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
It is extremely easy to fly in comparison to a typical RC-Heli (have a Blade 450 too)
My first 10-15 hours behind the sick of a Huey closely parallels that of someone trying to fly the Blade 400 from scratch... but it all worked out.

Don
Old 02-27-2017, 07:10 PM   #20

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
I bought a Phantom 3 Standard right after Christmas ..... was on sale here in Canada for $499. I've only used it a few times ( 60 degrees in February, can u believe it), but i cannot remember flying anything that was as easy to fly as this.... mainly because of the onboard GPS. Whats nice is, if it gets out of range, or the battery gets low, it will come right back to where it lifted off. The camera on the standard is not 4K like it's more expensive brothers, but is still HD, and takes great pictures and videos. My primary reason of ownership is to fly it and take photos and videos of nature etc, plus my brother has one and it gives us something to do together. They aren't a bad thing to have ..... they are actually fun to fly ..... so this talk about shooting them down is rediculous. Ya, if its hovering aroung your back yard thats fine, thats your privacy, but if its flying by, let it be, because a good person could be on the other end of that remote!