Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-04-2013, 12:15 PM   #1

Firewood

This is perhaps a rookie question, but where do you get your firewood from and/or how do you get it to your campsite? I'm not sure about the rest of the country, but here in NY we have the 50mile rule so I tend to look for kiln dried wood if I'm bringing it.
Some of the places we visit offer firewood at a reasonable price and deliver it directly to your campsite, which I gladly pay for. But most places don't offer any wood or delivery options. If we try to bring wood, it never seems to be enough. And right now, I'm not even sure the best way to purchase wood without getting an entire cord dumped off (and then where would I put it??)

We have a MH, so we do not have a TV to use after dropping off the TT.

Kris
LkptRvPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:19 PM   #2
Site Team

This is an ever increasing problem especially in the state parks here that are trying to control the spread of the "emerald ash borer" insect. They also limit where firewood can be transported from. The private CG`s here have no such policy. I always seem to have access to firewood from my property or freinds, but in some parks strict on the policy the only real option is to buy the little $5 packages that they sell which honestly will not last very long or as you say bring in kiln dried lumber scraps from construction sites. I see your dilemma in a MH, not sure how you could get wood if there are no local delivery options or vendors nearby. I guess I`m not much help on the issue other then tell you that you are not alone.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:16 PM   #3

Most places we go to always have wood for sale at the camp store. Some places have the honor system sells for .50 a log... You drop money in one of those steel pipes...

I usually bring in enough for the first fire in case we get in late and dont know where to get any. Then we get wood at the camp site for the rest of the time...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

When I carried wood, O would go the the local lumber yard/mill. They made custom woodwork and doors.
If you went at lunch time, you could roll all their scrap bins from each machine area and get great off cut materials.
Nowadays, I buy a case of fireplace logs at WallyMart. Easy to carry 10-12 and they burn for 3 hours.
Not a roaring fire, but a nice romantic fire for me and the wife.
If I stubble across some firewood, they make great fire starters :-)

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougtoms01 View Post
Nowadays, I buy a case of fireplace logs at WallyMart. Easy to carry 10-12 and they burn for 3 hours.
Not a roaring fire, but a nice romantic fire for me and the wife.
If I stubble across some firewood, they make great fire starters :-)

Doug
Great idea.

Number of Nights Camping - 2013 26RKS
2014 - 18, 2013 - 11, 2012 - 11
Number of Nights Camping - 2012 17Z
2012 - 10, 2011 - 13

Countless nights as kids and young adults in a pop-up, hardside TT and several tents!
campingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:35 AM   #6

Doug - that is a great idea. I have used the large fireplace logs before, but usually only when its raining or damp and I need the extra oomph to get things going. Have you ever used 2 or 3 (or more) at once? I wonder what that would look like. As a firestarter, I usually use the 'ole lint and wax in an egg carton trick I learned in Boy Scouts.

But the people who do bring their wood (or at least a little to get you started), where do you get it? Do you have a wood pile in the back yard or do you make a special trip to get some for each trip?

Kris
Old 04-05-2013, 06:26 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Kris,
2-3 logs would make a pretty good fire. At about $3 a piece, would still be cheaper than $5 for 6 pieces I see at a lot of CG stores.

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:36 AM   #8

I have a place close by that makes wooden pallets. They sell their scrap pieces for $10 a truck load. It is nice dried oak also.
Locky66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:39 AM   #9

Doug,
I will definitely try that.
Only 2 weeks till my first outing at Fourmile Creek State Park. Can't wait!

Thanks,
Kris
Old 04-05-2013, 07:59 AM   #10

Collect wood scraps from local construction projects... they are usually happy to avoid the cost of having to haul them away.. just be willing to sign something saying they are not liable if you get hurt on the site..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:41 AM   #11

We bring a box of cut up pallet pieces usually to get the fire up and going and a box of split dried oak logs from home. Never had any issues with bringing in wood from outside the CG.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:45 AM   #12

Getting firewood does seem to be a hassle. And the packs of wood they sell at the camp store never seem to burn, either! We spent a week up north last summer and bought a ton of wood our first day - none of which burned. Now we know better to buy a little and test it out first. I like the idea of bringing along a few fireplace logs. Nice insurance to know you'll have a fire that first night.

For starting the fire, we always carry a box of "Kindle Candles" from Yankee Candle. One candle and some little branches/paper will have a roaring fire in no time. We've used them for years without fail. It really eliminates the hassle! Plus, it makes the cupboard inside the camper smell nice.

Karen, Scott, our daughers (6 and 9), and Finley (Finn) the wonder lab.

2013 Jayco Jayfeather X23B
2001 Viking 2485ST pop up
southpaw211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:27 AM   #13

Well, I work for a lumber mill where we kiln dry lumber. I get all the board ends I would ever want and then some. We have a 6x6 metal box that they go into so when I take them I pick out the pieces that are between 8 & 20 inches long. I have a cargo carrier with a metal cage on the back of my camper than I load it into. I can fit enough to burn Friday night when we get there and all day & night Saturday. Plus, the main campground we go to have huge piles of wood. You just need a chainsaw to cut your own and it is all free. I usually cut my tailgate full to mix with the board ends and it makes a great fire. The boards ends burn fast and hot with not much ash, so I try to mix some of the cg stock to make it last. Lots of times I end up bringing some board ends back with me and use them the next time.

We use the fireplace starter logs to get the fire going. We get ours from Walmart for 50 cents each and break them up into thirds just to get the fire going.

2013 Jayco 29rlds
Jay Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:19 PM   #14

The "buy your wood at the campground" program is a pet peeve of mine. I am a professional forester and completely understand the idea of preventing the spread of invasive and destructive species. However, I also understand when I am getting ripped off. And paying ridiculously high prices for 1/2 inch thick slab aspen slab wood, or green wood that won't burn makes no sense. I don't have a problem paying a decent price for decent wood. These state parks advertise for contracts for someone to supply them with this wood. So why don't they put some STANDARDS into the contract. Like the wood must be dry, it must be at least xx inches thick, it must be of the following species (no aspen, box elder, etc). I can't help but think they are more concerned with increasing their revenue rather than stopping the spread of invasive species. We have stayed at some campgrounds at state parks in a neighboring state that actually provide good firewood for a fair price. I wish my state would take a hint. We voice our concerns at every campground where they sell crappy wood, although it appears to be disregarded.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:10 PM   #15

We are lucky here in Idaho, most of the camping I do is boondocking. In the National Forests we can harvest all the firewood we need by finding fallen trees, we are not allowed to cut trees down but anything lying on the ground is free. Also, I have a pickup and after we get camp set up, next order of business is to gather firewood. It doesn't take much and we can have a couple of days wood in about 20-30 minutes, usually withing a half mile of our camp. Most often we have enough left over that we can leave 7 or 8 good pieces of wood for the next guy that finds our spot.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:26 PM   #16

In NH most CG and SP you cannot bring in your own wood due to the bug that's killing off the trees. A pallet from the CG cost 45.00 hard wood 60.00, wood is ok but I miss bringing in the lumber from the condos being built, nice and dry and clean.
buffalobillsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:30 PM   #17

I sometimes get the firewood from the CG. But I often ask the office where I can get wood locally too. Our DNR has a link to DNR approved firewood suppliers. I often look at the site a few days before we go. In my case I usually drop of the TT then go to the DNR approved vendor’s location to pick it up. Usually it is very good wood at an ok price.

As for fire starters I have a small quantity of birch bark, homemade egg crate fire starters, and I always have a handful of old candles, and an old newspaper or two in the TT. Between all that I can get anything to burn. The key with bad wood (green or wet) is to get the fire going and make sure you get it hot enough. Once it is HOT, usually it will burn fairly decently.

I would like to try the fireplace logs, but have not found them locally at a good price.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:31 PM   #18

We have a endless supply of pallets at work which work out good for us as we use them for winter time backyard fires in the pit when hanging out with the neighbors. I usually split up my oak wood to pretty small sizes to dry faster and is easier to transport to the CG.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:56 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LkptRvPilot View Post
This is perhaps a rookie question, but where do you get your firewood from and/or how do you get it to your campsite? I'm not sure about the rest of the country, but here in NY we have the 50mile rule so I tend to look for kiln dried wood if I'm bringing it.
Some of the places we visit offer firewood at a reasonable price and deliver it directly to your campsite, which I gladly pay for. But most places don't offer any wood or delivery options. If we try to bring wood, it never seems to be enough. And right now, I'm not even sure the best way to purchase wood without getting an entire cord dumped off (and then where would I put it??)

We have a MH, so we do not have a TV to use after dropping off the TT.

Kris

we got wood outside of the area we were camping in the last time...but even though it was only 15 miles away NY DEC said we should have purchased it thru them or got a receipt...the funny thing is there are ppl who sell it up and down the camp road and they just have you leave the money and the DEC said they are mad a them that they don't give a receipt or anything....it is the middle of nowhere (newcomb) ...we realize there is a problem and respect it but they still trust no one lol

2007 Jay Feather Sport 218

2007 Honda Ridgeline
jaycojones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:59 PM   #20

another thing we do is drive thru the campsites daily...and pick up wood people leave behind...i know we left a ton and actually told some people checking in to stop by our site to grab it

2007 Jay Feather Sport 218

2007 Honda Ridgeline
jaycojones is offline   Reply With Quote