Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-07-2014, 04:24 AM   #1
Site Team

Firewood anyone?

Gotta get one of these babies to keep up the camping firewood supply.

Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 07:18 AM   #2

They certainly sell alot of firewood all over the country at the food stores... When in Gatlinburg TN camping we notice firewood is available every where for sale at the food chains... This is a pretty good income I imagine for some of the locals. Something like this will take away some of the local income I reckon...

We live here in VA in a housing area that is somewhat wooded and only have a fireplace for heat supplemented with electric heaters. I have to build up my wood pile every winter. Getting harder and harder every year finding firewood to cut and stack..

Good exercise for me in my 70's
Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:18 AM   #3

"A man who cuts his own firewood is twice warmed". To heck with that phrase.....that machine is a lot more fun than my axe and splitter.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:22 AM   #4

Hi Roy. I don't know what happens in your area, but lots of the wood that is made available at grocery stores, quick stop gas stations, state parks, etc. up in our neck of the woods is done by operators who have equipment like this. And they either get their wood from loggers (wood that the pulp mill doesn't want) or they have their own pretty sophisticated logging equipment for harvest.

Other than those people cutting and splitting firewood for their own use, there are very few operators who go into the woods with a chain saw and a pickup truck these days.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:22 AM   #5

99% of the places we visit have firewood restrictions in place making it illegal to transport firewood from outside the immediate area. All of this as a result of one or more invasive insects or such. What this has done is enhance the income opportunity for campground hosts and local merchants. My personal opinion is that a lot of this is "PC" related and overkill that is just one more invasion of personal usage rights. Most rV'ers aren't going to transport half a truck load of firewood a couple hundred or more miles to a vacation site. Weight and space make this self limiting. My main complaint is not the restrictions but rather the $$ gouging that goes on with a small bundle of green wood costing anywhere from$5 to as high as $10. As a result I routinely pack enough firewood for a couple fires using scrap building materials or a few well seasoned pieces from wood harvested from my own property. I also added a small electric chainsaw to my truck box and use it to cut up limbs and deadfall that I collect when we roadtrip once we get to our destination. By using my honda gen i can even cut up bigger deadfall along Natl forest roads and public rightaways. Its pretty easy to find if you keep your eyes open. Usually I end up with more than I can burn and my neighbor gets a windfall when we head home.

Hate to give up all my tricks, but in resort areas where there is a lot of building, I target construction sites close to the CG. I do it right and stop by and talk to the contractor about harvesting scrap from their dumpster. I have never been told no. Its a bad idea to show up after they go home and sneek around the building site. One trip is often all it takes to build up a supply for a weeks use. I have often found contractors who will hide good scrap for me to pick up later so that others don't get it first.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey02 View Post
Hi Roy. I don't know what happens in your area, but lots of the wood that is made available at grocery stores, quick stop gas stations, state parks, etc. up in our neck of the woods is done by operators who have equipment like this. And they either get their wood from loggers (wood that the pulp mill doesn't want) or they have their own pretty sophisticated logging equipment for harvest.

Other than those people cutting and splitting firewood for their own use, there are very few operators who go into the woods with a chain saw and a pickup truck these days.
Truth is that a lot of the commercially available "bundles" in groceries and gas stations is from scrap and slabs from sawmills. Could be good campwood if it has a little seasoning but much of it is "green". If you must pick up a couple bundles of seasoned stuff [you can tell] and then do some scrounging of your own.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Truth is that a lot of the commercially available "bundles" in groceries and gas stations is from scrap and slabs from sawmills. Could be good campwood if it has a little seasoning but much of it is "green". If you must pick up a couple bundles of seasoned stuff [you can tell] and then do some scrounging of your own.
I don't disagree with you there, although I think the customer is wising up. A few years ago, a lot of gas stations and state parks were selling sawmill waste slabs. Some if these were so thin that they were pretty much all bark with hardly any wood. They were really just kindling bundles and when lit, it was poof and they were gone. There must have been lots of complaints and subsequent loss of sales, because most gas stations and state parks now sell actual split firewood bundles, although the parks often still sell green stuff that doesn't burn.
Old 11-07-2014, 12:17 PM   #8

"A man who cuts his own firewood is twice warmed"

Seems like every thing associated with firewood has something to do with heat hehe...

I always carry enough firewood for the first fire just in case we get in late and don't know where the firewood pick up place is located..

We got to have our firepit going when camping - Sure is nice for the wife and me sitting around the fire visiting with each other. I do the same thing here at the house all the time sitting outside around the patio... Wouldn't have it any other way...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 12:34 PM   #9

I ended this spring with 6 rows 24 foot each !!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20140425_063608_507 (Small).jpg  
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 01:51 PM   #10

Nice 33! I have about 3 cords split and seasoned, did it before my daughter was born because I anticipated a disturbance to my ability to find time!

Just had a local tree guy drop off a MASSIVE maple tree that had been cut to 10-12' lengths. Spent the last week cutting it all up and splitting what I can. Some of this stuff is 30" in diameter and the old maul is just bouncing now. Gonna have to break down and rent a splitter for a day. Sure would be nice to have a machine like that though.

Couple years ago a saw a video for a Bobcat that had some type of cutting and splitting attachment on it. Good times! I could watch those videos all day... especially if that meant I didn't have to go out and split/stack wood!!!
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 07:57 PM   #11

I don't have one of those but I do have 21 cords of hardwood stacked to keep my house warm for the next three to 4 years! Yes firewood does warm you more than once and my back hurts every time I think of getting out the splitter lol
Old 11-07-2014, 11:42 PM   #12

In NY state it is illegal to take firewood across county lines. I am not sure why.
Maxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 04:23 AM   #13
Site Team

Firewood anyone?

When we camp with a group, each person brings enough for a few fires. We have one going all weekend. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415614998.917926.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	209.2 KB
ID:	15844
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:06 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxi View Post
In NY state it is illegal to take firewood across county lines. I am not sure why.
Isn't everything illegal in NY? We were entering the Big Park in upstate NY and stopped just outside the boundary at a small lot where they were carving wood bears etc. We bought a bear and also talked to him about firewood. He told us to take what we wanted from his scrap pile outback. Just told us to cover it in the back of our truck since it was illegal to transport it the distance to the campground we were heading to.

My advice is to be creative and discrete.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:26 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Isn't everything illegal in NY? We were entering the Big Park in upstate NY and stopped just outside the boundary at a small lot where they were carving wood bears etc. We bought a bear and also talked to him about firewood. He told us to take what we wanted from his scrap pile outback. Just told us to cover it in the back of our truck since it was illegal to transport it the distance to the campground we were heading to.

My advice is to be creative and discrete.
Stand back, I'll wager you are going to be in for some vitriolic responses