Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-24-2016, 07:29 AM   #1

For Readers: Project Guttenberg

I do a lot of reading while on my travels. Beats watching the boob tube most of the time, and in some places (like where I am now) there's no OTA television signal available.

A couple months ago I rediscovered Project Guttenberg ( Free ebooks by Project Gutenberg - Gutenberg ) and have downloaded a LOT of books for free. I save them to my Macbook in Epub format, plus I downloaded an Epub reader add-on for Firefox ( https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...on/epubreader/ ).

If you're not familiar with Project Guttenberg, it's a freely accessed collection of older copyright-expired books. There are many, many classics, lots of old sci-fi, and lots of just plain old fun reads. I've recently read a half-dozen books in the Tarzan series, E. R. Burroughs- I always thought "Tarzan" was a just single book, and not a whole series. Now I'm reading Great Expectations, Charles Dickens.

I'm sure a lot of you are aware of Guttenberg, but for those readers (and wanna-be readers) that aren't, this could come in handy for those rainy, dreary, windy, dusty days. Enjoy.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:09 AM   #2

Yea, this is a great website. Speaking of Burroughs, I've read the first 5 or so books in the Barsoom series after seeing the movie John Carter. Wow, those books are so much fun and hold up really well. Burroughs really had a quite an imagination and a great sense of humor!

Also read most of the Sherlock Holmes stuff.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Yea, this is a great website. Speaking of Burroughs, I've read the first 5 or so books in the Barsoom series after seeing the movie John Carter. Wow, those books are so much fun and hold up really well. Burroughs really had a quite an imagination and a great sense of humor!

Also read most of the Sherlock Holmes stuff.
Thanks for the tip DocBrown. I just downloaded those 5 books from Guttenberg. Tarzan has become a little stale for me after reading the first half-dozen of the series.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:19 AM   #4

Yea, same reason I haven't read any more of the Barsoom series!
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:18 PM   #5

Well DocBrown, I'm finally starting to read the 5 available Barsoom books. Up to chapter 3 of the first one (A Princess of Mars). So far, so good. Went through a jag of reading a few Charles Dickens books, but stopped halfway through David Copperfield. Lost my interest in that one.