Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #1

Good Sams Pressure

I need some help with the issue of Good Sams Club membership.
We are new to RVing but have camped in popups and tents for years.
I have been getting at least every month since purchasing our first Rv membership requests from Good Sams...not sure if this is a good deal or not.
Never camped at Good Sams since they always seemed high priced but the latest membership gives discounts even at Campers World....could someone just give us some input on this membership with Good Sams.

thanks
johndiwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:52 PM   #2

Sorry, can't personally help you there as we had Good Sam once after we bought our little Casita but used it only once. We have had a reciprocal campground membership for years and just use that as we travel from state to state. From what we hear, those that aren't affiliated with a membership opportunity appreciate Good Sam for camping at a discount rate. There are quite a few campgrounds that are Good Sam. If we didn't have the membership we have, we would use the Good Sam
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:20 PM   #3

Good Sam sends tons of trash mail but they are a good organization. If you sign up for the 3 years it runs about $16 a year. Since most private camp grounds cost about $30 a night (approx) with the Good Sam 10% discount if you stay in a Good Sam camp ground for 5 days it would pay for your membership. Plus you will get a discount from Camping World and Flying J. I think it is worth the money if you are an active camper.
Curt class V hitch
Reese trunion WD with dual cam
AC6CV/7 ex-W8RUR since 1954

Wyotraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:06 AM   #4

If you travel allot in your RV Good Sams road side assistants is good. $79.00 year I think. If you have a breakdown they will tow both TV and TT where AAA will not .
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:00 AM   #5

We are members of Camping World's Presidents Club as we made a purchase that justified buying the membership. This week we got an email stating that the Presidents Club and Good Sam have been combined. Our membership has been changed to a Good Sam. They say that all of the benefits of each club carry through to the new membership at no additional cost.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:58 AM   #6

I too am a member of the Good Sam Club and as I recall, when you sign up, you can opt out of the mailings. Their forum on RV.net is good (but not as good as the JOF ;-)

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:04 AM   #7

I don't know if opting out helps any. I haven't camped for over 10 years after we gave up full timing it. Even when I didn't belong to Good Sam during that time I received lots of trash mail. They aren't much different than the other companies that send trash mail. I STILL LIKE GOOD SAM!!! I just rejoined and they gave me my old old old membership number back. Amazing!!!!! Here is a thought. When they send you the literature about the $79 road service ask them if they tow horse trailers or stock trailers. NOPE!! I had to get other road service for that towing. Not AAA. They don't tow anything but rice rockets. I still have my Good Sam GMAC auto insurance and they tow anything and everything and re-imburse you later. I throw the Good Sam trash mail away along with all the trash mail I get from AARP. Fortunately we can still have a burn barrel in Wyoming. Fill it up with trash mail every couple of days.
Curt class V hitch
Reese trunion WD with dual cam
AC6CV/7 ex-W8RUR since 1954

Wyotraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyotraveler View Post
I don't know if opting out helps any. I haven't camped for over 10 years after we gave up full timing it. Even when I didn't belong to Good Sam during that time I received lots of trash mail. They aren't much different than the other companies that send trash mail. I STILL LIKE GOOD SAM!!! I just rejoined and they gave me my old old old membership number back. Amazing!!!!! Here is a thought. When they send you the literature about the $79 road service ask them if they tow horse trailers or stock trailers. NOPE!! I had to get other road service for that towing. Not AAA. They don't tow anything but rice rockets. I still have my Good Sam GMAC auto insurance and they tow anything and everything and re-imburse you later. I throw the Good Sam trash mail away along with all the trash mail I get from AARP. Fortunately we can still have a burn barrel in Wyoming. Fill it up with trash mail every couple of days.
Here's a site where you can opt out and it does help.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/cons...dit/cre17.shtm

I used it several years ago and my junk mail reduced dramatically. Unfortunately, as the years go by, you join something and start getting new junk mail. I killed AARP and joined AMAC... much less junk and I feel they represent my views better.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:42 AM   #9

AAA does tow your trailer if you have the RV Plus membership. It also includes 100 free miles of towing
Prodigy Brakes
robo59097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndiwill View Post
I need some help with the issue of Good Sams Club membership.
We are new to RVing but have camped in popups and tents for years.
I have been getting at least every month since purchasing our first Rv membership requests from Good Sams...not sure if this is a good deal or not.
Never camped at Good Sams since they always seemed high priced but the latest membership gives discounts even at Campers World....could someone just give us some input on this membership with Good Sams.

thanks
If you camp at CG's that offer a Good Sam discount (most CG's do), just figure up your average number of trips and factor in the discount. Chances are, like me, you will pay for the membership fairly fast with those discounts alone. I get enough discounts yearly that cover my membership cost, and now that they upgraded you also get to use that same card to get President's Club prices at Camping World.

It is not a gamble if you camp at places that honor the discount. A couple of trips (maybe even one trip if a week stay) and it will pay for itself.
CampingGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:12 AM   #11

I got one of those cheap camping world discount club cards when I needed to buy something in the store....I think it was like $12......so a few days ago I get a new membership to Good Sam....apparently they have merged the CW club and Good Sam.....

Not sure if it really gives me anything....looks like a slight discount at Some Campgrounds....then there are a bunch of pay add-ons.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote