Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-09-2015, 12:02 PM   #21
Site Team

Yes fix it up, 2004 was a good year for Silverados, I have two of them a 1500 and 2500.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:29 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvn71 View Post
Don't know who his insurance co is, but my insurance only makes me pay the deductible on a collision claim where I am at fault. Even though the other driver is uninsured, your insurance should pay your claim (in full) and then go after the other driver.
Florida is a "no fault" state; not sure if that has anything to do with it. Also, my son only has comp insurance, and did not carry uninsured motorist coverage. In a nutshell, he's screwed.

He filed a lean against the person who hit him, and basically it means they cannot obtain their drivers license (leagally) for 20 years, or until they settle the lean. However, since they were driving with a suspended license and no insurance in the first place, I doubt this will have any effect on their continuence to drive in the future.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:38 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of 49° View Post
I just finished with the insurance. $3,000 damage, including labor. They didn't write it off, and it was actually less than what I thought. I'll be talking to the body shop tomorrow. Hopefully they can get it into work on soon. I'll still have to pay my deductible while they do their accident investigation, but I'll get it back when they finish.

I pointed out the hitch to the estimator and he said that it looked okay, just the frame was bent where it mounts. It does say subject to inspection on the paperwork, so the body shop has final say on that.
Most folks that are involved in an accident that is not their fault are intitled to file for "Diminished Value". It depends on the age of the vehicle, but simply put, you ask for it, based on what your vehicle will now loose in its trade in or sold value. As an example, let's say your Kelly Blue book value (or comperable) states your vehicle is worth $10,000. If it has an accident reported against it (shows up in a carfax), the diminished value is now set at $8,000. You would be intitled to $2,000.00 dollars from the insurance company of the person that hit you.

As already stated, the insurance companies are out to make money, so they do not tell you this, nor do you have to accept the first diminished value they offer you, if you feel its too low. If interested in diminished value claims, read on from this link:

http://www.learnvest.com/knowledge-c...surance-claim/

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:11 AM   #24

I had never heard of "Diminished Value" claims with an insurance company, makes complete sense. Thanks for that tip and the supporting link.

'12 F250 Ford Super Crew
'15 Jayco Eagle 338RETS
thodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:57 AM   #25

If the hitch is ok, I would use it to tow the trailers that you need to tow, then have it fixed later.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:17 AM   #26

Got in an accident today

I have been rear ended three times and have demanded that the hitch be replaced each time. The insurance companies were happy to comply with my request each time.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:03 PM   #27

A bit of an update. The truck is mostly done now and I should be able to pick it up from the bodyshop on Friday. That's cutting it close because I have an appointment to get our old trailer out of storage on Saturday.

But earlier this week I got a call from the bodyshop. They're replacing the hitch, and is it okay if they put on a 5,500 lb hitch? DW answered the phone and said no, that's a 6,000 lb hitch, and we want it replaced with one with the same rating. And we need the truck back by Saturday. Well, they replied, we ordered a 5,500 lb hitch, and if you want a different one, you would have to get authorization from the insurance company.

I figured, isn't that your job? Already frustrated with this whole ordeal, I called the insurance company, explained the problem to them and they said it's their policy to replace parts with the same quality of parts. They said if the bodyshop can send them photos of the damaged hitch, it shouldn't be a problem to approve the replacement with a 6,000 lb hitch -- the hitch was listed as a "judgment item" on the estimate. I guess they just want proof that I wasn't trying to scam a free upgrade, and that it really did need replacing. I called the bodyshop back and told them that and they said they would get right on it.

I called them again today just to see how things were going and they said the truck is pretty much done, just waiting for the hitch to come in, but they would call me back. They did a little bit later and said they found a 6,000 lb hitch locally and were going to install it, and they would call me tomorrow when it's all done.

So here's hoping that it all goes to plan. We have to get the old trailer out of storage on Saturday to be able to make the trip to the dealer on Wednesday. Both of these are by appointment only and we really can't push them back any farther.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote