Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Life > Campfire Chat
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2015, 03:49 AM   #1

Hey Janet H...How about JOF Tech here?

To anyone who reads this thread:

Janet H came up with a great idea on another forum site to assist those in need of a technical answer to a question without getting a "go search" or "its been asked before" type answer. She created a new banner title that is added to volunteers who would provide answers to those who ask on this forum.

This way, those who dislike reading through threads that ask commonly asked questions can simply move on without posting, and those who volunteer can provide a friendly answer. It's been very useful on the other site, and unfriendly posts have gone down to almost non existent.

A title of "JOF Tech" could be placed below the members name, identifying them as a member that will help whenever possible.

I'll toss my name into that hat.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 04:39 AM   #2

I think it would be a great idea. Something that needs to be addressed or at least considered in its implementation:

Good information vs Bad information

It is interesting to observe the responses to issues with the various RV systems. Be it refrigeration, propane, electrical, plumbing, entertainment or towing systems.

So many of these spark differing opinions and even controversy. The ones that are of most concern are those where the information is based on what the responder has heard somewhere rather than based on actual experience or facts and a solid understanding of the system in question.

Then, to add to the confusion, a thread with a large number of responses will contain both accurate and incorrect information. How can the originator of the thread know what to believe?

To those making a response based on a good understanding of the system involved it does get frustrating, sometimes to the point of being argumentative, when his information is refuted by someone who is passing along bad information due to a limited understanding of the system.

Don't misunderstand. I have no doubt everyone who offers advice does so with a sincere belief they are providing accurate information.

If only there were some way to identify members who are really knowledgeable on a particular RV system. I have no idea how something like that could be implemented. To long time members it probably becomes apparent after a while who the most knowledgeable members are in specific areas. But that isn't much help to the guy who just bought his first RV and joined the site.

As one of our members, RVhiker, uses in his signature: "There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct." Determining what is and what is not can be daunting task for the newbie.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:38 AM   #3

I would volunteer for that! I have owned a TT for 10 years and a popup for 9 years before that. I do most of the work on my TT - and mods as well. I have a good understanding of most all systems - and I teach heavy equipment service technicians for a living (major manufacturer). Not bragging, just putting my credentials out there.

Sounds like a great idea!

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:20 AM   #4

I'll volunteer as well. Refrigeration and A/C are my specialties. Plumbing and water heaters as well.
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote