Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-27-2015, 09:27 AM   #21

I have tried numerous times to use the search function to find info regarding my redundent questions (TV mounts, leveling) and have found the search function to not be user friendly. I get oodles of threads, but few have the subject as a header. This can be daunting to a newb like myself. Telling me to do a search is fustrating. I tried that already, so now I ask for help. Throwing a link at me would be so helpful.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:30 AM   #22

Some folks don't know how to do a specific search and it is easier for them to just ask for help. Here is my point, do a search of lets say kitchen faucet leak. You will get so many threads with each word in your search phrase, but if you do your search in with quotation marks ie.."kitchen faucet leak" you only get results of threads with that specific phrase. I realize it's frustrating to see the same question answered over and over, but maybe a little knowledge might help. Just my 2 cent worth.
2013 F150 Super Crew 3.5, 3:31
2004 f150 Super Crew 5.4, 3:73 traded
silverark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:52 AM   #23

All the responses to my concern truly validate why JOF is a great online community. Nobody has flamed me, yet, and it appears most folks appreciate the genuine good nature of the membership. I love to refer new RV owners to our community because I know they will be respected and given an opportunity to learn much faster than if they used the trial and error method of yester-year.

Let me expand briefly about why the occasional snippy suggestion to to search old content bothers me -- it's because the people and technology change; and with that the suggestions, answers, & thoughts do too. It is the natural attrition of membership over time that keeps this community current.

There are a handful of topics that cause the flame wars and snippy remarks on the other sites; batteries, generator, solar, tow vehicle, WD hitch , gas vs diesel, etc. Every RV forum on the net us full of these threads, but these topics are always evolving.

Think about Solar, RV application has come a long way in a short time and we are very blessed to have some extremely knowledgable members who stay current and respond with more current data.

The same thing for tow vehicles; 10 years ago, before I was interested in this stuff, I assume the same 1500 vs 2500 or diesel vs gas TV discussion was happening. But now we have 1500 class diesels or EcoBoost with 2500 class payloads. There are new things to talk about.

As membership and technology evolves I think we should encourage new threads about well discussed topics so we all have the ability to learn from those of us who stay current or might have different point of view.

Most importantly I want to thank all of you for making this a great forum -- now let's just be aware of what we have and don't let it slide down that slippery slope so many other online communities have.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:14 AM   #24

This is the only forum I visit on a regular basis. It's not only because the information is vast and very informative, it's because of the sense of community displayed here. I've perused other forums on a host of other topics, and not a single one of them is as civil and helpful and friendly as this one.

Yeah, it would be nice if everyone conducted a detailed search before they asked a question, but sometimes it just doesn't happen. I don't think that means we should chastise them. Rather I think (and have observed much of this) if there are other threads on the topic, users should provide a brief answer and then link the original discussion. This way is much more helpful IMO because it re-exposes the information to be updated, and it re-exposes members to the content. Something I thought a year ago could have changed (and quite honestly, I'm not sure I would agree with a lot of what I posted a year ago) based on my experience, or technology, or whatever.

I agree that those of us who frequent this space often should work hard to keep it a friendly and welcoming place. I think it's a little slice of awesome and I genuinely hope it stays that way!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:01 AM   #25

Do you think it would be nice if everyone conducted a detailed search before they asked a question??

W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:22 AM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
This is the only forum I visit on a regular basis. It's not only because the information is vast and very informative, it's because of the sense of community displayed here. I've perused other forums on a host of other topics, and not a single one of them is as civil and helpful and friendly as this one.

Yeah, it would be nice if everyone conducted a detailed search before they asked a question, but sometimes it just doesn't happen. I don't think that means we should chastise them. Rather I think (and have observed much of this) if there are other threads on the topic, users should provide a brief answer and then link the original discussion. This way is much more helpful IMO because it re-exposes the information to be updated, and it re-exposes members to the content. Something I thought a year ago could have changed (and quite honestly, I'm not sure I would agree with a lot of what I posted a year ago) based on my experience, or technology, or whatever.

I agree that those of us who frequent this space often should work hard to keep it a friendly and welcoming place. I think it's a little slice of awesome and I genuinely hope it stays that way!
Agreed. I provide links to related threads when possible for newbies.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:30 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverark View Post
Some folks don't know how to do a specific search and it is easier for them to just ask for help. Here is my point, do a search of lets say kitchen faucet leak. You will get so many threads with each word in your search phrase, but if you do your search in with quotation marks ie.."kitchen faucet leak" you only get results of threads with that specific phrase. I realize it's frustrating to see the same question answered over and over, but maybe a little knowledge might help. Just my 2 cent worth.
I may be thinking of another forum, but I also think these things run pretty much the same way. When you start a thread you're given the opportunity to add "tags" which then makes searching more precise.
Next thread started should check that.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:31 AM   #28

A search may find the answer to your question, if you have the patience. Some topics have few threads and posts. Others have many and then can be difficult to find an answer. Personally, I try a search first, and if I find an answer I think is plausible, I try to use that advice. But sometimes it doesn't fit.

And some subjects, like "Will my truck tow this trailer" can be very daunting. The chances that your particular trailer and tow vehicle combination are addressed are slim - and if they exist, you could spend weeks finding those posts!

For example: If your question is about TV/Trailer combination, I suggest you Google your TV, like "2012 Ford F-250 6.2L Specs." That will get you the needed numbers for figuring the payload and towing capacities of your TV. Then Google "2013 Jayco Eagle 328RLTS", and that will yield the weights and other specs regarding your trailer that you need. If those searches don't answer your questions, someone here can give you advice using your numbers.

That should also help get more answers. I don't mind doing that when I reply, if I have time. But some folks who have a lot of experience may pass on replying because it requires doing some homework to give good advice.

Just my humble opinion.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 12:26 PM   #29

I see both sides of this issue. Number one, what could be wrong with seasoned, experienced members answering a question, or giving advice to even a simple, basic question that gets asked frequently, especially from the newbies that have obviously just joined JOF. If you don't want to, there is no requirement that we, as members have to respond to any questions or requests if you don't want to. Rather than answer with "look it up on the search" why not offer an answer and add to also check the search as there may be varied other opinions on that question. Being a newbie once, and even to this day, asking an obviously simple question and then getting a positive response makes me feel good as I am sure others feel as well. I also feel that the search, if used correctly can be an excellent tool to find the best answer to your question, although I realize it can be a little complicated to maneuver through sometimes.

If I want to be flamed or belittled, there are a couple other RV forums that will do that to me with delight. I still feel that 99% of the members here are friendly and helpful and enjoy this forum without any drama. Historically, JOF has always been member friendly and the rare occasion that someone gets a little testy or combative, the moderators will take care of the problem when they see it or if you notify them.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:09 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1971 View Post
I see both sides of this issue. Number one, what could be wrong with seasoned, experienced members answering a question, or giving advice to even a simple, basic question that gets asked frequently, especially from the newbies that have obviously just joined JOF. If you don't want to, there is no requirement that we, as members have to respond to any questions or requests if you don't want to. Rather than answer with "look it up on the search" why not offer an answer and add to also check the search as there may be varied other opinions on that question. Being a newbie once, and even to this day, asking an obviously simple question and then getting a positive response makes me feel good as I am sure others feel as well. I also feel that the search, if used correctly can be an excellent tool to find the best answer to your question, although I realize it can be a little complicated to maneuver through sometimes.

If I want to be flamed or belittled, there are a couple other RV forums that will do that to me with delight. I still feel that 99% of the members here are friendly and helpful and enjoy this forum without any drama. Historically, JOF has always been member friendly and the rare occasion that someone gets a little testy or combative, the moderators will take care of the problem when they see it or if you notify them.
I agree. I usually give a polite answer, then include links for folks if they want to become more familiar. My point was just to help folks avoid the flaming - and to give them a little info on how to search the site and use the internet to find answers to their questions.

I love this site because there are a lot of folks like me, who have years of experience. And sometimes, I have questions to problems I am having. It's a great community and there are usually a number of people who will jump in and try to help.

I was once a Newbie myself, so I appreciate all the knowledge here. I am a training instructor for a large manufacturer and I teach dealer techs on the service side of the industry. So it's just in my nature to try and help someone troubleshoot and find an answer to their problem. And with my background, I usually do most of my maintenance and repair work - both my trailer and my TV, except when it comes to warranty stuff.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 02:20 PM   #31

Like all of the other old guys on here when I get up each morning and get my coffee going then the usually the first two places I goto on the computer in the RV NET and here.

I most always try to answer things as they relate to my short comings... I also like to include alot of photos from google search. ALot of the users only give real short answers which I have never understood. Then they will say up front this in going to be a long answer or something like that. It is like they are paying for their word count or something. I don't think there is any rules written anyway saying you MUST GIVE SHORT answers.. I think the more info that is passed along the better.

Giving short comments makes it real hard to understand exactly what is being asked. Then you got three or four talking among themselves trying to decide what the OP is really asking. Just where do you go when someone says "My DC quit..."

Most of the questions are on the same subject. mostly BATTERIES and trailer weights.

One guy will ask that question and then just a few threads up the roll is another guy asking the same thing... Maybe that bother folks???

My problem sometimes is I don't read far enough into the question and miss important things. Then I give a somewhat silly answer haha...

Being retired and somewhat limited on what we can do anymore I like coming here and following the discussions...

When someone gets irate with me I usually just delete my comments and go do something else for awhile...

You can expect alot of the NEW MEMBERS asking silly things but when a OLD TIMER does it makes you wonder where they have been for the past 15 years...

Then you have the big pedigree that guys that have done things for a living for the past 50 years. They get all excited in the ends and outs of everything. I just prefer the simple ways of fixing things... Doesn't bother me a bit if my battery boost charge is at 14.2VDC verses 14.4VDC... We will get the correct results - may just take a few minutes more...

Oh well it all just makes good readings material I reckon...

I know how to make it back-off-the-road with my setup as I have been doing it for the past 5-6 years. Does this relate to all the questions - who knows...

I also try not to get involved in the bigger trailer and motorhomes. They are all a bit strange to me on how things are done. Sometimes the problems relate to each system.

I'm also hung-up on the RV TRAVELERS and the RV CAMPERS. There seems to be a difference...

I am also hung up on using generators. Everyone wants one and everywhere we go camping the management won't let us use ours when we want to. They have all these rules to contend with. But the same generator questions keep coming and coming... I am missing the boat somewhere I reckon... I think the motorhome type RV'ers get away with running their generators more then us dudes that have one in the back of the truck. There is also something different about where you live I think. East Side or West Side of the USA.

Oh well... Coffee cup gone dry...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 03:10 PM   #32

I have been a member here since 2011 and in that time I have seen a consistency of members doing their best to help other members. from time to time a few prickly people have come and gone but for the most part I believe that I would be happy to have any of the jayco forum members as next door neighbors in a campground! I hope that the friendliness of this forum continues and that everyone strives to have a mutual respect for everyone else. thanks to all the great members of this site and kudos to the moderators!!
Old 05-27-2015, 05:08 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
snip...... but in the last few months I have started to detect a change in tone.....snip
Clubhouse,

I think with JOF's smaller membership size (compared to the larger RV forums) it doesn't take to much "spoilage" for the active JOF membership to pick up on it. This seems to happen in cycles and sometimes works itself out..., but I know the MODS (been there) will chime in both behind and within threads with some friendly member guidance. Sometimes it's a case of someone carrying over some 'wild-west' posting habits from other forums and hasn't caught on to the JOF friendly posting environment.

As mentioned earlier and I know you are aware of.., the "Report Post" feature is an effective way for the general JOF membership to alert MODS of any posting concerns.

But I agree, it doesn't take much effort for one to come across in a positive, informative, and non-offensive manner..., even within threads with different opinions being discussed.

I would like to believe that the JOF family friendly environment is still very much part of it's Mission Statement.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 05:32 PM   #34
Site Team

I would hope that no one responds to a new member asking for help with "why don't you search before you ask" It's a lot of trouble to register on a forum and even more trouble to post a question. I assume that someone has already searched and come up empty for one reason or another.

Every forum has it's own vibe and we aim to keep this one friendly and helpful so please report problems you see and for pete's sake - help out the newbies. It's tough to be clueless
Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 05:36 PM   #35

I don't see the "use the search" comment as being too offensive. There is usually some explanation along with it. What I do find irritating is people commenting "Welcome to the forum, try using the search function". That is one way to turn off a new member. If you are not providing an answer, or at least usefull advice, don't comment.
notaz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:51 PM   #36

I see no problem in telling people to use the search function. Many people are unfamiliar with forums and the function and its a much easier way to help them quickly find a lot of info. For instance front cap fading issues. This is a new thread that seems to be started weekly. Why should the group continue to repeat itself with the same info repeatedly when the search function will show them numerous threads and replies? I personally would appreciate someone telling me about the function if I was unfamiliar with it.

UPC
Old 05-27-2015, 06:57 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverark View Post
The " " tip is interesting. I was not aware of that. Perhaps we could have something lie a search tips and techniques page. Does this forum do any stickies?

UPC
Old 05-27-2015, 07:17 PM   #38
Site Team

The forum search function is well... lame. It's a key word search only and punctuation will break any searches. I've just set up a google custom search that may help a little - it's been added to my signature and I'll post it elsewhere. It takes you to a custom google page that will only search this site.
Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:43 PM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Agreed. I provide links to related threads when possible for newbies.
I will spend quite a bit of time finding several threads that are relevant and link them so the newbie can find good info. I don't often have the answers but I'm on here so much that I know there's been a thread that will assist them.

Also, as somebody else mentioned...if you feel like somebody is not being social/polite please click the triangle and "report a post". We deal with more behind the scenes than you would ever imagine.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:45 PM   #40

The Navigator and I are not social media type of people. This is the only forum we read and participate in. I generally log in later in the evening and look at the Today's posts, reading the ones that interest me and post answers if I think I can be helpful. I look forward to seeing responses from people we have come to know over the years, as if they were a neighbour or friend and I miss them if they haven't been heard from for a while. Here's hoping all is well with them. The new members keep the site current and like me, find new information daily from the other members. If I suggest a search, it's because I am technically challenged with regard to my computer abilities.
So today I learned to use quotations with my search subject and Janet's link for the Google search caused me to figure out how to add it to my reading list on the I pad.
When someone jumps all over the person asking the question I figure they are "just not ready for people yet" or they are eating some urine soaked cornflakes and move on. It's never nice to have to deal with the meanies of the world, so thanks to the moderators for the behind the scene action. It keeps this forum in good shape, positive, friendly and family.
Thanks to those contributors that provide the technically involved diagrams, step by step answers. It's like a dedicated call centre.
After 37 years of "camping", when things go well I get nervous!
4" Magnaflow, Banks Air Intake
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs
DMRGMC is offline   Reply With Quote