Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-26-2015, 07:28 PM   #1

Is the JOF tone is changing?

When we first decided to move out of a tent to a TT I did a lot research online, like many of us. One of the things that really attracted me to the JOF was the genuine helpfulness of the members.

For the most part the JOF is still mainly frequented by helpful members who really want to help and exchange thoughts, but in the last few months I have started to detect a change in tone.

One of the things that I really hated about many of the other forums was all the snippy replies about using the "search" function

Anyone should be able to ask their question and expect genuine answers not rude responses. If you are one the few that think this is an acceptable response I woukd ask you to stop. If it really bothers you that much, simply pass over the thread and "search" for some original content to engage in. If you can't I suggest it's time to move on to a much larger, less helpful, and considerably ruder forum.

In the 3+ years I have hung around the JOF I only felt compelled to "Block" one member due to their continued argumentative responses. That is pretty good when comparing to many other forums. But in the past few months I have started to notice several more that may be added.

Again, JOF is still so much better than many other forums, but it's a slippery slope from genuine helpfulness to flame wars. I would hate to see that happen.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:03 PM   #2

I sure hope this forum stays as good as it is....I'm with you are snippy remarks...there are only a few that I see do this and as such this forum is far better then others...with too much trolling and flaming.

2013 F150 EXL Screw 5.0 4x4 3:55 locking ( not towing the above trailer with this truck)

Spending my children's inheritances on my toys!
sask934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:56 PM   #3

Just a thought Being that there is much information posted about problems I can understand that a response to a question should be followed with a answer and then if someone were to suggest to do a search for more information that should be acceptable. A lot of the information I have obtained has come from reading this forum and also doing a search for more information on a subject.

However I do agree about receiving snippy responses that just say do a search rather then getting an answer followed by a suggestion to also search for more information
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:57 PM   #4

Agreed Agreed Agreed. Seems to me that some of the snippy remarks are from people that haven't been on the forum to long that I noticed.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:23 PM   #5

I sure hope I never came off that way. I can't seem to use the search feature on my Kindle so I know on occasion I've suggested that folks search for the topic (since I can't provide a link myself).
I do still come here to read everyone's experiences and troubles. Great, friendly place.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:24 PM   #6

Just my.02

Moderators are here to help control content, either inappropriate or detrimental to the overall " tone" that is used, and in doing so, help to maintain the genuine and helpful nature that is a cornerstone of this open forum.

They may be sending private messages when appropriate, and we would not necessarily know that they are doing that.

I have noticed that a red triangle exclamation symbol is in the left corner of a thread, that if a JOF member needs to, can flag a post as being inappropriate.

By using that function, we can leave the policing to the moderators.

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:40 PM   #7

I like to answer questions when I can but I've been known to suggest a search when I think that person can obtain a quicker and very informative answer that I've seen posted in the past on that subject. And at the time ( I ) can't give them the best answer. If you ever think I'm being a smart *** just let me know! what I think might be funny might not be to others. After over 2000 posts and almost 2 years its like I'm just talking to one of the guys while were downing a cold one.
Tunce
Old 05-26-2015, 10:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
I like to answer questions when I can but I've been known to suggest a search when I think that person can obtain a quicker and very informative answer that I've seen posted in the past on that subject. And at the time ( I ) can't give them the best answer. If you ever think I'm being a smart *** just let me know! what I think might be funny might not be to others. ...snip
What he said ^^^ (I've been typing for a while, but he said it better...)
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
What he said ^^^ (I've been typing for a while, but he said it better...)
Thank you AZ, you've always been a gentleman and a scholar on this forum.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:29 PM   #10

It is basic common sense....most know when they are getting argumentative and past the line of good common decency.

I open threads and read them....if I have a suggestion or a response that is helpful, I reply, otherwise I do not. I love this forum as it is very helpful and that is the whole point.

2013 F150 EXL Screw 5.0 4x4 3:55 locking ( not towing the above trailer with this truck)

Spending my children's inheritances on my toys!
sask934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 05:39 AM   #11

Is the JOF tone is changing?

I have found that what someone writes and how they do it tells a lot about them . When someone comes across a little snippy or rude I go and read all their post. It tells me if its just a bad day or if that's who they are . Most of the members love helping out and their are no dumb questions . I have learned a lot here and hope to help when I can [emoji106]
Clayton4971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 05:55 AM   #12

I don't consider telling someone to search for information to be rude, in and of itself. There are some topics that have been beat to death, and if the person asking had taken 15 seconds to search for his question he would have found hundreds of replies that are immediately pertinent to his query.

Whenever I have a question, I search first. I like that immediate gratification. If you post a new thread, you have to wait for people to read it and slowly start replying.

It is general internet forum courtesy to first search for your question and see if you can find your topic has already been discussed.

Generally though, when I see a question that I know is already discussed at length, I just ignore it. I realize that some people get deeply offended at the suggestion that they search, so I try not to stir the pot and suggest they search. I won't be part of the problem, nor will I be part of the solution.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:01 AM   #13

I can truly say, this forum has saved my a$$ more than once. But I've seen (read) some of the sarcasm myself or what I THOUGHT is sarcasm. Most of the time, I think people read into the post too much and simply take it the wrong way. It's very hard to decypher the "attitude" someone has towards something without actually hearing it in person. Typed words are such a neutral thing if you think about it. Sometimes it's hard to "read" what the poster is trying to get across. Just take everything with a grain of salt and it'll work out fine.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to the psych ward!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:09 AM   #14

I, for one, don't see an issue with someone suggesting use of the search function. It isn't hard to do and there's a lot of good info in many of the older threads. That said, use tact and diplomacy with how you respond to people.

Seems like we live in society today where people are constantly offended by something these days. Don't assume that others are being mean or sarcastic because often times, they're not. You may just be reading it that way.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:11 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
Typed words are such a neutral thing
Very true. No inflection as in the spoken word.
rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick danger View Post
Very true. No inflection as in the spoken word.
What is that supposed to mean???

Just kidding
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:13 AM   #17

<rimshot>
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:43 AM   #18

I have, at times, gotten snippy responses when I've tried to help someone asking about their trailer or TV specs - and blasting me because I didn't do a web search to find out the particulars about their vehicles before I made suggestions. I usually reply back that they should do their homework first, so I can give an informed response, then I provide them links to the specs they need to solve their problem.

I suggest that for experienced members here, they not only provide a friendly, experienced answer, but also suggest the new member do a search - and provide them a link to the thread that addresses the problem. Not all "Newbies" are familiar with how to navigate the large volume of information here. But I must say that the majority of folks here are friendly and are truly helpful.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:31 AM   #19

One thing I have learned in all my years is that I know what I mean when I say something but I am amazed at how the other person translates it into something else.
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:59 AM   #20

I've seen it a few times here but I actually think there is a lot less of that going on than there was a couple of years ago. There used to be one member in particular who I have not seen post in a long time who used to jump all over people who didn't share his narrow viewpoint on how things should be done. I think the overall membership just doesn't put up with it so the climate here has stayed very friendly and helpful. Far better than some of the stuff that goes on on other forums.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote