Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Life > Campfire Chat
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2017, 03:59 AM   #1

July weather WARNING for the Northeast

In fairness to my fellow campers, I feel obligated to warn you not to plan any significant outings in the northeast for July, particularly in the Lake George / Saratoga region of NY and surrounding areas. You see, I am using up some extra vacation time this year to enjoy long weekends camping for the entire month of July. In perfect Murphy's Law fashion, this will most assuredly unleash a wrath from the heavens every Thursday through Monday in July the likes of which we have not seen since the days of Noah. For those already having made plans, I offer my sincerest apologies. For others fortunate enough to be waiting until August for such adventures, I can only say, "You're welcome" in advance. It will now surely be the most beautiful weather ever recorded for the region at that time if only to further prove the power of the curse of the weather gods...

May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer valid input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut myself down whenever I get too in love with my own misconceived brilliance.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 04:07 AM   #2

Haha that's funny
Were going to Rogers Rock in August
Tom
Tg310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 04:37 AM   #3

Thanks for the heads up! We will make our annual trek to Lake George RV Park 1st week of August and then back up to Warrensburg for yard sale weekend. It would be greatly appreciated if you could please leave the area during those times.

BTW I am currently at Frosty Acres in Duanesburg and its poured 2 of the past 3 days. Are you lurking someplace close? Heading out today and would like to at least leave dry so again if you wouldn't mind leaving...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:55 AM   #4

If that's your brother that lives in Bellingham, WA. would you ask him to please MOVE!!!
Thanks in advance, Tunce
Old 06-08-2017, 01:42 PM   #5

Daughter called the other day and asked DW if we were camping. DW said yes and asked why. Because it's raining she said.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:03 PM   #6

Ha, I know the feeling! Lake George is gorgeous, I remember going up there as a kid. Some day I hope to take my family up there to visit, my mom grew up in Albany.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:27 PM   #7

LOL!! We have a reputation for making it rain when we take the camper out (or go camping before we had the camper). For MANY years, it would literally rain EVERY time we went out. Since we got the camper, we tend to go out more, so it doesn't rain EVERY time, just ALMOST EVERY time! LOL!!

People are constantly asking me to camp in their yard!

My favorite anecdote along this line happened a couple years ago when we went camping with the family. My dad brought his boat, so he was running trips out on the lake and asked if I wanted to go along on one of them. I said "nah. You know it's going to rain, right?" He looked at the blue-bird sky and scoffed at me and mumbled something about "no rain in the forecast". I said "I know, thanks for the offer, but I'll stay here and stay dry for now, maybe later." He shook his head and hauled off for the boat ramp. About 45 minutes later, while it was raining, he comes rolling back around in the boat on the trailer looking like a drowned rat. I simply waved from under the awning where I was relaxing with a cold beer, dry and happy. My smile said "I told you so!" LOL!!

We've gotten used to it. I keep a set of rain gear in the trailer permanently.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:52 PM   #8

Sorry all, I will likely be camping in the NorthEast region in August, 2 weeks at Charleston Lake just North of Watertown already booked, and probably at least a weekend or two in the Adirondacks. I tend to carry SparkDr's black cloud as well. Perhaps everyone should just write off the entire summer in this region... Maybe Watkins Glen and the Finger Lakes instead?
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 03:50 PM   #9

Well, New York is not New England, so I guess Our plans are safe.....��������
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:42 PM   #10

Well, don't count on June to be any better in that area cuz we will be there then.

And as a direct descendant of THAT particular Murphy...

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkDr View Post
In fairness to my fellow campers, I feel obligated to warn you not to plan any significant outings in the northeast for July, particularly in the Lake George / Saratoga region of NY and surrounding areas. You see, I am using up some extra vacation time this year to enjoy long weekends camping for the entire month of July. In perfect Murphy's Law fashion, this will most assuredly unleash a wrath from the heavens every Thursday through Monday in July the likes of which we have not seen since the days of Noah. For those already having made plans, I offer my sincerest apologies. For others fortunate enough to be waiting until August for such adventures, I can only say, "You're welcome" in advance. It will now surely be the most beautiful weather ever recorded for the region at that time if only to further prove the power of the curse of the weather gods...
Are you also to blame for the high water levels in the St. Lawrence River? My annual July camping/boating trip to the Thousand Islands isn't looking too good!
Old 06-08-2017, 06:19 PM   #12

Murff

Old 06-08-2017, 06:22 PM   #13

...and when traveling:

Murff

Old 06-08-2017, 06:24 PM   #14

I've camped so many times in Lake George RV Park over the last 35 years I forgot how many times.

The weather around Lake George in July and August can be wicked with popup thunder storms that move in and out very quickly, with heavy rain and hail. As fast as they come in, they move out just as fast.

In July of 1983 while camping in Lake George RV Park, a severe thunder storm rolled through the campground. The winds were so high it took down a tree that fell across a popup two sites away. There were kids inside the popup and fortunately no one was hurt. The popup was destroyed.

I keep a NOAA weather radio in our trailer with the alarm setup for severe weather alerts.

2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 5.7 Hemi 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE
2009 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 256RKS
2007 Jayflight 20BH
1997 Fleetwood Cheyenne PUP
1984 Rockwood 1080 - PUP 1969 Coleman PUP
gcloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkDr View Post
Whew that was close. We will be there end of June to July 1st.
Aardvarkjff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 03:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkjff View Post
Whew that was close. We will be there end of June to July 1st.
Sorry to disappoint you....June 30 through July 4 is my 1st long weekend.

May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer valid input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut myself down whenever I get too in love with my own misconceived brilliance.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote