Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Life > Campfire Chat
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2017, 10:37 AM   #1

Looking For 60 Gal Air Compressor Suggestions

Starting to shop for a new air compressor, 60 gal 220v, oil lubed, and would like some suggestions. Not interested in spending a ton ($1k+), but want one that is going to last. Have considered the ~$4-500 models at Home Depot/ Lowes/ TSC, but would like a little more cfm's than they have if the slightly higher output isn't much more money.

Have found an Ingersoll Rand SS4L5, 14cfm @ 90psi, 135 psi max for $700 at TSC. The reviews seem mixed though on it. Is IR still as good as they once were?

Tool usage will range from impacts & die grinders to possibly a paint gun & sanders at times.

My current compressor is showing its age, a Porter Cable 26g upright oil less model. Cant complain to much considering it's 17yrs old!!!

TY!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:23 AM   #2

Either the Ingersoll Rand or Campbell Hausfeld. My grandfather had CH in his garage for years. Not sure what capacity. I used a Porter Cable a friend let me borrow when I was building my addition. Worked great.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:24 PM   #3

What about Quincy? I think lowes had them. That's a majority of what we used offshore, of course on a ginormous scale. Quincy and IR are my first picks.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:26 PM   #4

TY for the feedback!!!

Overall my PC has done pretty good the last 17yrs. Looking at the urgent 60gal model it's a little less output than the comparable Kobalt. 10.5 vs 11.4 think it is. The CH is rated the same as the PC, and both of those are a little more than the Kobalt.

I have heard good things about Quincy, but without spending a ton the air output is comparable to the PC & CH. The IR has the highest output at $700 vs $500 for the Kobalt (which is made by the Coleman group from what I found, possibly the same as CH). I think if I can get TSC to accept a Lowes coupon again, the IR may be the winner!!!! That was how I decided to buy my Hobart welder at TSC instead of the comparable Lincoln from Lowes or HD.

TY again!!!

Old 04-19-2017, 09:10 PM   #5

Post a review please if you get it. I've had a spot under our shop stair case (built as a compressor room) for a huge upright 220v compressor since 2003 I think. Just never finished that project. Now you've got my fever up again. I really need something that can keep up with my air die grinders and spot blaster.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:26 AM   #6

John,

Will do!!!

I will post up even if I end up with the Kobalt over the IR, when I do buy a new compressor. The Kobalt is second choice based on output and reviews as of right now.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:33 AM   #7

Considering a new one for my machine shop and these guys seem to have a lot to choose from and their pricing is good:

https://www.powerequipmentdirect.com...rs-direct.html

Quincy is a good brand, this one looks like it might work for you:

https://www.powerequipmentdirect.com...or/p12330.html

Best,
Steve
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:28 PM   #8

Steve,

TY for the links!!! I have been on their website before, it hadn't really looked at the compressors yet.

Guess my question about that Quincy is how is an aluminum pump w/ ci sleeve hold up vs complete ci pump assembly? Then again maybe some of the others that are listed only as ci are a hybrid as well.

Anyone have any info or knowledge of Puma air compressors?

TY!!!

Old 04-20-2017, 05:14 PM   #9

Steve,

"Guess my question about that Quincy is how is an aluminum pump w/ ci sleeve hold up vs complete ci pump assembly? Then again maybe some of the others that are listed only as ci are a hybrid as well.

Anyone have any info or knowledge of Puma air compressors?"

Well Quincy has a good reputation. Aluminum sleeved with cast iron is common in the high performance car motor world, motorcycles, and other small engines. The aluminum block would dissipate heat better hopefully making it last longer?

Best,
Steve
Old 04-21-2017, 01:54 PM   #10

Steve,

Didn't think of the comparison to the auto industry.... TY!!!

Stopped in at the local Farm & Home store. They currently have a Powermate 60g 3.7hp, 155psi max, 11.5cfm @ 90psi for $430. Plus the mgr said he would accept the Lowes 10% mover coupon, bringing the price down to ~$390+ tax. Any thoughts? From what I am finding the Kobalt is made by the Coleman Group also.

Just trying to find the best value without spending a ton.

TY!!!

Old 04-21-2017, 03:25 PM   #11

This link might help, it's a bit old, but?

Battle of the low cost ($400) 60-gallon 240v compressors -- help me decide - The Garage Journal Board

I'm not an expert, but 155 on a single stage compressor is questionable, and I doubt that the Powermate at that price is 2 stage? For home use I would think the Powermate would work fine as would the ones that were listed on the link above.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:33 PM   #12

I would choose Quincy or IR. But, I also spent 10+ years helping design air compressors with both of those companies. Both are of similar quality and reliability.
Biggest Weber fan in the world.
Bucko06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 01:11 PM   #13

Steve,

TY for the link! Hadn't found that yet. Was interesting even though it is older.

Buck,

Still would really like the IR from TSC for $700. Output is more than I will probably even need, though even the Kobalt would probably be enough as well. Just trying to find as much info as possible.

I did find out the Kobalt is made by CH, not the same as the PM. I stopped at HD to look at the Husky, and from what I could gather it is a PM product also, not a CH product.

Really it is between the Kobalt, and the IR at this point. Maybe I should hold off a little, and work some ot to help sell myself on the IR price vs the Kobalt.

Did see the IR pump is a China built unit now unfortunately.

TY again to all!!!

Old 05-01-2017, 08:54 PM   #14

Update,

I ended up pulling the trigger on the Kobalt model.

Did so based on the following:

Price- I know IR has a great reputation, but for the money and my use I feel the Kobalt should be plenty. It was $500, minus the 10% movers coupon. Then Lowes had the 11% mail in rebate gift card as well. So rough price was about $400 plus tax. The IR was $700 plus tax if TSC wouldn't accept the movers coupon.

Made by CH. Campbell Hausfeld has been around for a long time as well. And so I would believe parts should be available for a while as well.

3yr warranty vs 2 yr warranty on the IR. Hopefully I will never need to find out how a warranty issue is handled!!!

I haven't picked up the compressor yet. Was going to yesterday, but it was raining on & off, so will wait for a nice day this week that I know I have help to unload the beast.

TY again for all the suggestions!!!