Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-04-2016, 07:18 PM   #1

My Honda EU2000i Died Last Night

Yep, and I though they were bulletproof. It was running fine, and all of a sudden there was no power output. Engine still runs, and the green light was on indicating that it had output, but it didn't. I'll tear into it and fix it one of these days. Could be the rotor or the stator. Or it could be simply a loose or disconnected wire (I hope).

I found a shop manual online, and it has troubleshooting specifics and tells what to test, what voltages should be at different points, etc. I'll figure it out.

I drove a hundred miles up to Grand Junction, CO today and bought a new one. It's purring along outside right now. When I get the old one fixed, I'll be able to tether them and run my air conditioner. I won't have to escape the heat anymore!
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:23 PM   #2

How old is the one that's giving you trouble? Never had any trouble out of ours except carburetors when we let them sit too long.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:50 PM   #3
Site Team

I have had mine for 11 years and it has always done the job until last week. We tried to use it while boondocking in a parking lot. Long story but my truck broke down. The generator would run for 3 or 4 minutes and shut down.

I dropped it off at a shop Monday. Hope it's not serious. If it's toast, I will likely buy a Champion from Costco as they look affordable and the price is right.
I should know if a few days.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
How old is the one that's giving you trouble? Never had any trouble out of ours except carburetors when we let them sit too long.
It's a little over 5 years old, but it's been used a lot. It probably has over 5000 hours run time on it.

Oil changed every 100 hours, plugs changed every 300-400 hours. Air filters cleaned at every oil change. Engine runs like a champ. Whenever it was stored for more than a couple months, I drained all gas from tank and carb, and squirted an ounce of oil into the combustion chamber to protect the cyl from corrosion. Even cleaned the spark arrestor once.

Anyway, things break, some sooner than others. No problem. Actually, fixing it will be a fun challenge for me. And I was joking about the "bulletproof" comment. Parts go bad, even on the best equipment.

One thing I have been doing, though, that might have contributed to the failure is that I've been starting it up under load. I've kept it plugged into the shore power cord continously, and just start it up. I know the converter starts pulling a load immediately to charge the batteries. Anyway, from now on I'm going to shut off the main breaker before starting the Honda.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:00 PM   #5

I almost put it up for sale a couple months ago. I figured I could get $600-$700 dollars for it, then I'd buy a new one. Should've trusted my gut.

The new one has a 3 year warranty, so I think I'll sell it just before the warranty is up and buy a new one.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:07 PM   #6
Site Team

Even though mine is 11 years old, it has very low mileage. I have serviced it and run it for a half hour monthly. I guess it has less than 150 hours on it.

I read on the net that if the Inverter goes, it's not worth repairing.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 03-04-2016, 09:52 PM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Generator/Inverter's should not be started with a load attached, also don't stop under load or run out of gas under load. My son in-law burnt 3 of them by running out of gas under load (a/c running). Expensive way of learning.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:30 PM   #8

Smoker, maybe you'll get lucky and it'll be a failed output breaker! Especially since the output indicator says all is well.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
Generator/Inverter's should not be started with a load attached, also don't stop under load or run out of gas under load. My son in-law burnt 3 of them by running out of gas under load (a/c running). Expensive way of learning.
Thanks Aljo

Tomorrow I'm going to the hardware store and buy a length of 10 gauge cable, a switch box, a 20 amp switch, a plug and a receptacle, put them together and make a switching pigtail. It would be an obvious reminder to disconnect load before starting and shutting off the generator. Might even mount a small 120 vac indicator light on it so its visible at night.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:59 AM   #10

I got my 2KW Honda in 2008 and it still runs great - starts of the second pull on the rope everytime... It sits secured in the tail gate corner of my truck and keeps sloshing the gasoline around in it I suppose...

Like NORTY1 reported above I started it up on one trip and it only ran for a couple of minutes and then would shut down... I dumped the gas and played with for awhile and no good results. Then a guy walks up and says having troubles HUH... I said yup... He looked at it for a minute and said "try it now..."

Fired right up and kept running. All he did was move the lever in the fuel cap which was in the wrong position for run. It was in the OFF position...

easy fix... He told me "that will be $50 thank you..." haha We drank some good camp fire coffee and chatted awhile...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:00 AM   #11
Site Team

Thanks, yes that is a common mistake but also the first thing they tell you to look for. Mine runs fine but if you put a 300w light on it shuts off in 3 minutes. It could be the carb, I hope!

Another common error is to turn the switch on the cap the wrong direction, then it can get dicey cause on is off and off is on!
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 03-05-2016, 04:23 PM   #12

Fixed It!

I took all the panels off and really dug into the wiring. I found that at the 120 VAC output plug on the inverter itself, the red and white wires had broken off. At least one had broken off completely, and when I first jiggled the wires, both came free.

I removed the metal crimp connectors from the plastic plug, soldered a length of wire to each one, and re-inserted both into the plug. I attached the red and white wires to the jumper wires, and SUCCESS! Works perfectly again.

If I can find some of the metal inserts that broke, I'll get some to fix it right. Otherwise, I might have to order an output pigtail from Honda.

I'm a happy camper! Literally!

I added some Stabil gas treatment to the new generator, and will store it until I need to use my air conditioner. Still have to construct a tethering kit.
Old 03-05-2016, 04:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I have had mine for 11 years and it has always done the job until last week. We tried to use it while boondocking in a parking lot. Long story but my truck broke down. The generator would run for 3 or 4 minutes and shut down.

I dropped it off at a shop Monday. Hope it's not serious. If it's toast, I will likely buy a Champion from Costco as they look affordable and the price is right.
I should know if a few days.
For what it's worth, had a generator that had the same symptoms as yours. Would run three or four minutes and die. Turned out to be the spark plug. Heat would short the electrode.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 04:52 PM   #14

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Smokerbill; Great you found the problem that was an easy fix for you. There's always a bit vibration in engines. Which can make wires to break. Those Honda engines are good for at least 30 years when well taken care off.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:39 PM   #15

I also put together my switching pigtail today. I had a heavy duty extension cord I made from 10-3 cable, a 20 amp plug and a 4 inch galvanized box. The cover plate had cutouts for a duplex outlet.

I bought a new plate than accepted both a duplex outlet and a switch. Bought a heavy duty 20 amp switch, and with a little electrical configuration, I can now shut the outlets off with a flick of the switch.

From now on I'll turn make sure the outlet is OFF before starting or stopping the generator. It's better this way than wearing out the main breaker on the converter, or plugging/unplugging the cord to the generator while running, causing arcing and damaging the receptacle.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:19 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ela1948 View Post
For what it's worth, had a generator that had the same symptoms as yours. Would run three or four minutes and die. Turned out to be the spark plug. Heat would short the electrode.
I'm hoping it's a simple fix. Still no word. I want a genny but sure don't need to buy one right now!
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 03-06-2016, 07:41 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post

Anyway, things break, some sooner than others. No problem. Actually, fixing it will be a fun challenge for me. And I was joking about the "bulletproof" comment. Parts go bad, even on the best equipment.

One thing I have been doing, though, that might have contributed to the failure is that I've been starting it up under load. I've kept it plugged into the shore power cord continously, and just start it up. I know the converter starts pulling a load immediately to charge the batteries. Anyway, from now on I'm going to shut off the main breaker before starting the Honda.
What a great attitude to take. I love your attitude, just wish I had your talents. The world would be a much better place if we all were like that! Including the smoking talents!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:06 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
What a great attitude to take. I love your attitude, just wish I had your talents. The world would be a much better place if we all were like that! Including the smoking talents!
Thanks Joe. Equipment failure rarely upsets me, since it can be expected. On the other hand, human failure can really bother me. I've learned that the abilities of repair techs can vary greatly. Some do a great job, and others just cause more problems- and cost. And that's why I do all I can to be able to repair and maintain anything I own.

It's been a long time since I smoked any ribs or briskets. I need to bring a smoker with me next winter when I head south again.

I was checking out parallel kits for the Honda generators, and learned that if you have a "Companion" model generator (which I do have), all that's needed is a three-cable setup- a pair for coupling the AC power, and a ground wire. All I need to do is find the appropriate connectors and I'll be able to make a home-spun parallel cable kit for just a few bucks.