Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-05-2010, 07:23 AM   #1

New Driver

Well we are in Elkhart In. the home of the RV's.
We attended a Gypsy Journal Rally a great time alot of good rving information from cooking to air pressure moitoring for tires to Bloging. Dennis Hill's Driving school was also here. Marti (the wife) talked about pulling the rig. Well she doesn't like driving the dually. We figured this is a good idea so yesterday was School Time.
First is hook up (that was hard as we have the sidewinder pin box) you must be perfectly lined up (keep in mind that I can't talk as per the teacher OK) Well after several tries I interjected and hooked it up.
Well we are off Marti driving WOW I was impressed too. They lay out a back up course with cones. They do not believe in driving forward to correct (not me) Marti had the trailer do things that I need to practice on too. Then on to the streets and the highway.
Well some four hours plus later we are back at our pull thur site. Frank the teacher asks "pull in or back in" Marti replys Back In ....WHAT... Ok I can't talk but I'm watching with a little coaching she was parked (on my tire tracks too.
Well I should say that Frank did let me drive once Then asked me for my drivers licence I have a CDL. Hey I did learn some stuff too. Money well spent too for both of us. Who says you can't teach an old dog a new trick.
Well I guess next winter I will have a relief driver (a good thing) Texas and Alaska. Hope I didn't bore you all.
Wayne
Http://yogi154.blogspot.com/
yogi154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:38 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi154 View Post
Well we are in Elkhart In. the home of the RV's.
We attended a Gypsy Journal Rally a great time alot of good rving information from cooking to air pressure moitoring for tires to Bloging. Dennis Hill's Driving school was also here. Marti (the wife) talked about pulling the rig. Well she doesn't like driving the dually. We figured this is a good idea so yesterday was School Time.
First is hook up (that was hard as we have the sidewinder pin box) you must be perfectly lined up (keep in mind that I can't talk as per the teacher OK) Well after several tries I interjected and hooked it up.
Well we are off Marti driving WOW I was impressed too. They lay out a back up course with cones. They do not believe in driving forward to correct (not me) Marti had the trailer do things that I need to practice on too. Then on to the streets and the highway.
Well some four hours plus later we are back at our pull thur site. Frank the teacher asks "pull in or back in" Marti replys Back In ....WHAT... Ok I can't talk but I'm watching with a little coaching she was parked (on my tire tracks too.
Well I should say that Frank did let me drive once Then asked me for my drivers licence I have a CDL. Hey I did learn some stuff too. Money well spent too for both of us. Who says you can't teach an old dog a new trick.
Well I guess next winter I will have a relief driver (a good thing) Texas and Alaska. Hope I didn't bore you all.
Wayne
I just read something in a book on RVs about these rally things where they have classes. My husband and I never had a trailer before and sure would love to take a class. We are in NY and just buying a trailer. The camping season is soon to be over, so, hopefully, next year we will find a rally near us.
Sabina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:49 PM   #3

Hi Sebini
Well next week there a big rally in Hershey Pa I think it's a week long rally.
You can also look at other sites on the net, like Escappees and Good Sam both have fourms like this for some good info.
Good Luck with your search. We looked for 5 yrs till the time came right for our first 5th wheel, then 4 months to get the right Jayco. Take your time cause it's your money, and some (most) salepeople are dogs!! After the sale it's your problem. My Jayco dealer wasn't that way (lucky me)

Wayne
Http://yogi154.blogspot.com/
yogi154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:29 PM   #4

Man I'd love to attend a course...and get my wife to learn to pull the trailer as well. I'd tried to teach her once, but made her so nervous it didn't go so well, ha! A second driver would be fantastic along some of our trips!

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:46 AM   #5

Awesome
You Go Girl!
Sounds like a great idea to attend a class in driving the TT.
2012 f250 diesel

mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:15 AM   #6

Husbands Teaching Wives to Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMonk View Post
Man I'd love to attend a course...and get my wife to learn to pull the trailer as well. I'd tried to teach her once, but made her so nervous it didn't go so well, ha! A second driver would be fantastic along some of our trips!
For some reason, I don't think husbands are usually good at teaching their wives to drive. All my friends will tell you that. I had been driving an automatic for many years but I wanted to learn to drive a stick when I was 49 years young. My husband tried but it seemed I made him too nervous. He was sure I was going to ruin the new Nissan. I gave up until my oldest son, who is much more patient, took me out a few times. I actually did learn and drove that little Nissan with its stick shift for many years. It lasted and ran well for over 200,000 miles until someone hit and wrecked it (sob) while my husband was driving. Fortunately no one was hurt badly except for my wonderful little Nissan.
Sabina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:46 AM   #7

My wife will NOT drive my truck no matter what I say. I have given up on her helping me back my unit into place. She does not get that I have to see her in my mirrors. I also have two radios but she can not understand that you have to push on the switch before you talk!!!! It looks like this post has turned into a wife hate post. I'm glad my wife does not use a computer or you know where I will be.
Albertaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:29 PM   #8

I think the Driving Course is as Excellent Idea .... As mentioned, even the best can learn a thing or two ...
Old 09-07-2010, 08:00 AM   #9

When I was in my early twenties, we bought a West Wight Potter sail boat from someone who one it on a game show (so cheap we later sold it at a profit ). Neither Don or I had pulled a tt before, so we went out to a parking lot and practiced backing, turning, etc. We learned team work with a walkie talkie's to do backing (our rule is to never back without a pair of eyes back there). The next year, I was hired as a bus driver in our city to help pay bills while going to school. Went through some training, then got my license. When we eventually bought our first large tt, the experience paid off for both of us. I love to drive, and Don would rather kick back, nap, play on computer, so I do 95-100% of driving on our travel trips. But like McMonk, I would really appreciate having a second driver on the longer trips.
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:08 PM   #10

LOL...oh my, Albertaguy - same, same here! We were camping years ago with my folks & my wife was trying to guide me back...My dad took a picture between giggles...poor girl has one hand pointed up, the other down and no clear direction which way to take the trailer! She doesn't see it as such a hoot! I suppose the worst part of it all is that we were darn near in a wide-open-prairie-field, but she was determined to guide me back 'somewhere'!

We picked up some radio's to help and I've learned to interpret the 'clicks' and cut-off audio directions as she hits the button a bit late...ah, well....

Actually, I have to say I've gotten quite good at figuring out what she wants me to do with the back-end of the trailer as I'm reversing, and she's gotten quite good at guiding - it's all about teamwork, patience and learning!

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote