Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-18-2015, 05:56 AM   #1

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!

I've been hosting at Michigan State Parks for 2 months, now. I'm Currently at Clear Lake State Park near Atlanta, MI. The sites here have electricity, but no water or sewer. The Host Site has full hook-ups.

Yesterday, a couple pulled into the spot diagonally behind me with a rather large trailer (SOB). As I was cleaning my grill for dinner, the lady came up to me and explained that this was there first time without full hook-ups, and they forgot to fill with fresh water before they set up their rig. She asked if they could use my water line to fill their tanks. Being a nice guy (and trying to be a good Host), I agreed and walked her over to my water hook-up. I explained that the green hose coming off my "Y"-connection was my black tank flush line, so it was turned off. She could remove my hose, connect their water hose, and fill their holding tank. After a couple of minutes, I checked to see if everything was going OK. She had connected another "Y" to my "Y" and was proceeding to hook up to their "city water" connection. I politely told her that she could fill her FW holding tank, but (since she hadn't paid for full hook-ups) I couldn't allow her to use my connection for "city water". As they proceeded to fill their FW holding tank, I left to make my evening Campground Walk. When I returned about 1/2 hour later, their (30-something) son came over to thank me for letting them fill up with water.

As we were chatting, I heard the sound of splashing water, looked underneath my trailer, and saw water gushing from the bottom of my Eagle in the neighborhood of the Black Tank. Rushing over to the water connection, I discovered that they had turned on the black tank flush side of my "Y". I turned it off, and went inside the trailer to find the toilet overflowing and water all over the bathroom floor. Fortunately, I had dumped my tanks and did a thorough flushing that morning, so their wasn't any "stink" - just a lot of water. It took me about 30 minutes to mop it all up, set the fan on the floor to dry things out, then I poked a couple of holes in the underbody panel to allow the water to drain from the underbelly. (I was careful not to poke any holes in the black tank itself - just the corrugated panel.)

This morning, everything is dry and the water has stopped dripping from the holes in the underbody panel. The son apologized, and I'm sure he told his mother about the fatal hook-up, but she has still not come over to apologize. This morning, I see they also parked their truck in the space across the road, rather than in their space. Looks like their going to turn out to be the kind of people who think the world owes them something.

So, do you all think I should tell her she flooded my trailer and get their insurance info (in case I need to have the floor replaced)? Or should I just blow it off and hope no permanent damage was done?
Old 09-18-2015, 06:38 AM   #2

I would definitely say something unless your insurance will cover any damage that may occur, but then you have the deductible to pay.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:43 AM   #3

I would not hesitate at all to get their insurance information. Better to have it and not need it than the other way around. Ask yourself how others would react if the shoe was on the other foot & protect your own interests.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 06:46 AM   #4

Just to say up front. This has nothing to do with being a hard***.. Pure reality... Accidents happen so no fault, BUT that is what insurance is for.. I think you should at least get their insurance information and document everything as much as possible.. It would have been good to have taken pictures as well.. Also find out what the filing deadline is. Explain to them what happened, and that while you don't expect anything to come out of it, you still need to make sure your covered in 3 months if something starts to rot..

If they try to be jerks about it, then I would get law enforcement involved.. Only to have a registered complaint for damages if you ever have to file...

Like I said at the start, this isn't about being mean, rude or anything, just covering your rear end in the event you have damage that your not aware of yet..

*** Hey.. Was it a Jayco?? You can give them this site and they can post their "Bonehead Moment".... Just saying....***

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:11 AM   #5

Not that you asked...

I would be very concerned that the insulation under your trailer has been soaked with water. The belly cloth keeps air from circulating to dry the areas out, so there is a real probability that you can have problems with mold or mildew. Maybe it will just all dry out and be fine?

It certainly would be good to get some sort of documentation of the incident. Without that it would come down to who did and said what.

No good deed goes unpunished does seem to kick in once in a while.

vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:55 AM   #6

I had a similar situation, while packing at the end of a trip I was flushing my black water tanks and over flowed as you did. We cleaned up everything and dried it out. About a month later we went out for a last trip before winterizing it and from across the trailer I could see the floor was buckled. So I investigated it and found the plywood delaminated and was soft like a loaf of bread around the toilet.

Well I sold the trailer very cheap to a contractor who was going to repair it and ended up buying a newer unit a few years old.

To answer you - I would get a police report(since you see they're true colors shining through) and insurance info, stating just in case. Because time will only tell you if any damage is there (flooring & mold). Good luck, my misfortune turn out better since I was forced to upgrade to a new unit.
grizzlypower2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 08:32 AM   #7

Will police write a report on this? Seems like a civil, not a criminal matter. I'd ask her to exchange insurance info.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 08:45 AM   #8

Brownie,

First of all, it was nice meeting you up at NHL. Personally, I would get their insurance info. Maybe you won't need it but maybe you will. It may have just been a simple mistake but it could cost you a lot of money. Water repairs are pricey. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

UPC
Old 09-18-2015, 08:53 AM   #9

That stinks! I would definitely get their insurance info.

I guess you've already learned the lesson the hard way, but I would have been right with them while they were getting their water. No way I'm letting someone I don't know fiddle with my connections. Of course, I would have done it under the guise that I was trying to be helpful, but my real motivation would be my complete distrust in their knowledge, abilities or propensity to follow detailed instructions. Honest mistakes happen, it's understandable, but if you had been involved in the process, the likelihood of that particular mistake happening would have been diminished if not eliminated. Talk about lucky having just cleaned the tank! WHEW! That could've been A LOT worse!

I've learned that lesson the hard way a time or two as well. Even if you ask them "do you know what you're doing?" you should still observe until they've demonstrated their proficiency. Even then, I would be hesitant to turn my back; I've just been bitten a few too many times by stuff like that.

As for them not approaching you with their apology, I would guess they're absolutely mortified; I would be. I would have helped you clean up the mess, and I would be out finding a REALLY nice gift for you as an apology, and I would gladly hand over my insurance information to you along with my contact information so I could help any way I could down the road. But then I guess I'm a bit of a rare bird these days.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 10:14 AM   #10

I'm an agent, and I'm not sure this is an insurance issue other than claiming against their homeowners personal liability. It wouldn't be a covered loss under trailer insurance unless they have a TRUE RV policy that has personal liability like a homeowners policy vs. just adding a trailer to an existing auto policy. Those (auto policy) just give liability while its being towed and physical damage for a collision or a comp claim (fire, theft, vandelism, etc). They weren't driving, they were on the ground. I always advise my clients to get a specialized policy vs just adding to existing auto as the coverage provided are usually not sufficient. I'd for sure get their name and address from their drivers license and get tag numbers so you can find them later. Good luck.
Cumming, Georgia
Go Dawgs!
Amosmoses33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 11:43 AM   #11

Depending on the laws in the state you are in there may be criminal liability here. In NY this would depened on damage costs. One could argue that the "accident" was reckless and if the damage was enough a criminal charge could be brought against the offender.

If not then this would be a civil matter and there would be no police involvement. If this was the case then you could try to talk to them about it. They do not have to give you any information they do not want to. You may be stuck with filing a claim with your insurance company and forward the license plate info to them so they can try to pursue civil reimbursements.

Situations like this can get complex in short time.

TV = 2006 F-350 CC DRW 6.0
TT = 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
TT = 2007 Jayco Jay Flight 27bh - SOLD
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 01:14 PM   #12

I'd get their info...no doubt. And, I'd make a claim. Better safe than sorry.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 01:26 PM   #13

Lesson learned, add a 1/4 turn shutoff valve at the waste tank connection, so that the next person does not do the same thing. Or some kids running through camp in the middle of the night.

good luck

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 01:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Lesson learned, add a 1/4 turn shutoff valve at the waste tank connection, so that the next person does not do the same thing. Or some kids running through camp in the middle of the night.

good luck
I wouldn't keep the hose connected unless when cleaning.
Cumming, Georgia
Go Dawgs!
Amosmoses33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 02:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amosmoses33 View Post
That matches my bit of 20/20 hindsight.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 06:05 PM   #16
Site Team

You were just trying to be a good neighbor. I think you need to document what happened and get their contact info and insurance just in case. They may not want or have to give it IMO.

I would not have left anyone manipulating my water hook ups without supervision and any claim may bring that up. They had your permission to fiddle with the valves.

Sure sorry it happened.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 04:04 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amosmoses33 View Post
I almost left mine connected while at a CG a couple of weeks ago, but decided not to for this very reason. More concerned about my own stupidity than anything else though.

Sorry to hear about your issues Brownie and hopefully everything works out
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:35 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Brownie,

Wow, water overflow under most conditions inside a TT can't have a good outcome..., sorry to hear that you are having to deal with this.

I would at least have your State Park Ranger supervisor write up an incident report, and have the Ranger get your neighbor's driver's license info noted on the report. I would then contact "your" insurance company advising them what took place due to the potential of hidden water damage (see what they have to say).

Oh, have the Ranger advise your neighbor of moving their truck.

Brownie, if you recall my BIL had a similar situation with his black tank flusher last year with the water overflowing into his bathroom, but his Rockwood had a water flusher pleasure relief valve under his bathroom sink that diverted the incoming flusher water into the TT, thus avoiding any "black tank" back-flush getting into the TT. I would of thought the newer Jayco's like yours would have this feature

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 09:24 AM   #19

I want to thank everyone who took the time to reply . A lot of good info & advice - as always on the JOF.

Turns out, it was the SIL that did the reconnect; and he's the one I was talking with when I discovered the flood. So he's also the one that apologized. The lady (MIL) did come over and apologize the next day, as well, and offered to help with clean-up in any way they could. I did get the SIL's drivers license/address/phone # before they left, but hope I don't need to contact him. So far, everything has dried out and no odors are present. Only time will tell.

Thanks, again, for all the advise. I think I will ad another shut-off where the hose goes into the black tank flush . . . JUST IN CASE!
Old 09-23-2015, 05:19 AM   #20

This was a good thread for me to read through; it taught me to make sure I stay put if I were to allow anyone to "borrow" any type of connection at my camp site until they are done with the "borrow".

It was sad to see you had to suffer a potential (and likely) damage to your camper because you were a nice guy. Sure hope this does not end up costing you as well.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote