Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-15-2012, 09:18 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

No Walmart camping here......

The following link is a list of Walmart stores that prohibit RV camping..., might save that 2am knock on the door

http://www.walmartatlas.com/no-park-walmarts

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:05 AM   #2

Your're 2AM comment reminds me of a story....

I was doing a cross country in my truck (no trailer) on one trip and had pulled into a ARKANSAS rest area. Was down for the sleep count big time and I woke up for some reason...

There was RED/BLUE lights all around me - cops standing all around me with guns drawn - and here I am just waking up....

I said to myself this isn't going to be good.... One officer was standing on my passenger side so I rolled down that window and he says are you going to need to back out?.... Of course there was no way I could take with four of five trooper cars there.

Apparently they had the guy in the car next too me spread eagle on the ground and was going through all his stuff inside the car... Scared the crap out of me for sure.....

I told the officer "only if I am in any danger"... He said "you will be just fine - just stay put"...

So I watched them finally haul this guy off in the police car and in just a little bit a wrecker shows up and drags off the car he was in...

After things all got quiet again I eased out on the road again and did another couple hundred miles hehe... Was very much wide awake...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:52 AM   #3

It appears that the states that are in the business of mining seem to have the longest list of NO OVERNIGHT stays. By mining I am referring to mining pocket books and wallets of seasonal visitors. Local campgrounds don't like any freebies. Thanks for the information.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:39 PM   #4

Hi Rustic Eagle, thanks for the link, I just checked it out and will bookmark it for future reference. thanks again
ewald628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:00 PM   #5

Awesome link! Thank you. I have bookmarked it as well for future reference. I'll take my business on down the road in exchange for a place to rest, or just in support of another camper needing a place to rest.
Banglee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:50 PM   #6

I guess that list iss of Wal-marts I will not shop at. Our local store is not on the list and you use to see at least 2-4 campers per night there. I haven't seen any there in a long time. Maybe I'll go there Friday night just for giggles and see what happens since I am still hooked to the truck..:hihi:

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:05 PM   #7

My shop is only a block from our Walmart here in Gilmer and I walked over there the other day and there is now a sign "No overnight Rv or truck parking".there were 2 RV's that had overnighted next to the sign.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNChelle View Post
I guess that list iss of Wal-marts I will not shop at. Our local store is not on the list and you use to see at least 2-4 campers per night there. I haven't seen any there in a long time. Maybe I'll go there Friday night just for giggles and see what happens since I am still hooked to the truck..:hihi:
Not that I am a big Walmart fan, but my guess in many cases the no overnight rules are based on local ordinances so I would not fault the store entirely.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:16 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tafische View Post
snip.......my guess in many cases the no overnight rules are based on local ordinances....snip
That is the case where I live.., and was on the books long before Walmart built in our area.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:30 PM   #10

WalMart has a company policy that leaves the decision whether to allow or not allow RV'ers overnight parking to the local managers based on availability of parking, access and local laws. WalMart also allows managers who have had problems with RV'ers to close their lots as well.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:46 PM   #11

What really gets me in areas that local law prohibits over night parking at stores, Wal-Mart, Cabelas, LL Bean, etc, but the campgrounds do not stay open all year long. So no campgrounds and no lots to park in.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:04 AM   #12

I find it strange that a local law/ordinance could prohibit overnite parking (NOT set-up camping) in a privately owned parking lot. Walmart IS a privately owned entity and therefore it should be up to them exclusively as to whether or not overnite parking is permitted.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnchuck100 View Post
I find it strange that a local law/ordinance could prohibit overnite parking (NOT set-up camping) in a privately owned parking lot. Walmart IS a privately owned entity and therefore it should be up to them exclusively as to whether or not overnite parking is permitted.
The problem there is, when Wal-mart goes before a city to be an approved business and most likely is asking for a tax credit, the municipality sets forth it's rules to follow to be able to get the credits from the city. Our city has a Wal-mart super center and didn't give any tax breaks nor does it ban over night RV or truck parking. It does however have an ordinance against cars for sale in the parking lot and WILL tow cars with for sale signs in them and fine Wal-mart a ordinance violation for such.

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:53 AM   #14

My local Walmart is on the list, but I completely understand why. Its in East Orlando and is packed 24 hours a day. Everyday. There just isn't room for RVs.
Grunge Grown Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #15

Nova Scoita banned camping in parking lots completely (not just in Walmart) to help the campgrounds.

http://www.cornwaab.comxa.com/rv-report_1.pdf

Here is a quote from the above - and the reason why Wal-Mart wants RV'ers to stay overnight in their parking lot (considering it costs them nothing for you to do so).

"From a business perspective RVers have proven to be profitable Wal-Mart customers. By one account each RV-night spent at a Wal-Mart store on average increases store revenue by $29 (U.S.). The marginal cost to Wal-Mart of providing a parking space is most often zero. The example of Wal-Mart is being followed by a few other retailers in various areas of Canada and the United States."
Marabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:31 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
Not that I am a big Walmart fan, but my guess in many cases the no overnight rules are based on local ordinances so I would not fault the store entirely.
That is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1971 View Post
WalMart has a company policy that leaves the decision whether to allow or not allow RV'ers overnight parking to the local managers based on availability of parking, access and local laws. WalMart also allows managers who have had problems with RV'ers to close their lots as well.
That is true also if there are no laws or ordinances that stop parking it is up to the local mgr. to allow it or not and trust me they do not want to stop anybody from stopping and parking on their property but sometimes it is neccesary. In some cases you can thank your fellow RVer's for the " No over night parking" signs because believe it or not some people will empty their black water tanks right out into the parking lots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnchuck100 View Post
If there are laws and ordinances on the books private propery or not the local LEO can come in and make you leave after writing you and sometimes the store a big ticket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNChelle View Post
The problem there is, when Wal-mart goes before a city to be an approved business and most likely is asking for a tax credit, the municipality sets forth it's rules to follow to be able to get the credits from the city. Our city has a Wal-mart super center and didn't give any tax breaks nor does it ban over night RV or truck parking. It does however have an ordinance against cars for sale in the parking lot and WILL tow cars with for sale signs in them and fine Wal-mart a ordinance violation for such.
That is true also.
THABULL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:28 PM   #17

You think this is bad. Go to rv.net and do a search on Van Horn, Texas. No overnight parking is allowed anywhere, even truck stops, courtesy of the RV park operators who thought they should get the money for overnighting. The town has been unofficially boycotted by the RVers. I won't even stop there for gas or a sandwich.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:20 PM   #18

Could it be, that local laws banning overnight parking, have more to do with the perception (valid or not) of crime associated with the overnight parking? It seems some interstate rest areas are another example of this.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:59 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by THABULL View Post
That is true.

Snip...... In some cases you can thank your fellow RVer's for the " No over night parking" signs because believe it or not some people will empty their black water tanks right out into the parking lots......Snip
I'm willing to bet, it was not the RVer who did the dumping, but rather some passerby during the night who was looking for jollies (a prank), and pulled the dump valve on the RV.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:50 AM   #20
Site Team

This about covers all the bases.
copied from another forum.
---------------------------
Here I sit on Wal Mart’s lot
Kinda tired, feeling shot.
Lots of drivin’, body’s crampin’
Thank God for this freebee campin’.
Lots of conflict in my head
Go to Wall-Mart; go to bed?
Dried up food I ate before
Cheap, hot chicken in the store,
Wife is cranky, she did yell,
Go get a chicken, or go to (Target?)

Six dollar chickens can’t be beat
Milk and donuts for a treat.
Don’t forget the beer and wine,
chips and salsa, would be fine.
Get some canned food for the cat
and a brand new bathroom mat.
A couple towels, a bar of soap,
A nice big bottle of minty Scope.
The old TV is really crappy,
get a new one, make it snappy.
Buy a Cosmo magazine,
Orders from the Wal-Mart queen.

So off I go to get my dinner,
Who’s the loser, who’s the winner?
Lots of stuff, I know I need it
Six buck chicken, who can beat it.
Two big baskets, bags and boxes,
I wonder just how far Fort Knox is.
I feel just like a lottery winner,
$800 for a chicken dinner?
Take a tip from camping scholars,
KOA – just 50 dollars.

Not my poem, but its good.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote