Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-26-2010, 01:44 PM   #1

Other Camping

In addition to RV camping I tent camp and backpack with the Boy Scouts. Wondered if anyone else here camps without their rv's.

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 03:15 PM   #2

You gotta be kidding camp without my Jayco.
hammerdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 03:30 PM   #3

Yup. Haven't done much here in Ontario, but we will be back into it once we move out west. There's plenty of trek-in/bike-in/walk-in sites all around the new place. The two youngest kids enjoy the sense of being 'away-from-it-all', even if it means spending time in the tent. After all, that's really what camping is, isn't it?

There's one place called the Sooke Potholes - it'll be about a 50km bike ride on well groomed, flat trail (Galloping Goose Trail) that ends at a wonderful campsite. It's a full day of biking, ending with a dip in a beautiful river, a camp-made meal and tonnes of laughter. Of course, after a day of biking, swimming and goofing around, by the time you have to crawl into the tent you're so tired you have no idea how uncomfortable it all is.....

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:14 PM   #4

We used to always tent camp , we have 3 kids , the first 2 are 19 and 21 , the last one is 8 . The first 2 always tent camped , they may have been in our first pop up once or twice , with the oldest now is in the Navy , the other collage and really cant find time to come with us .
When we go 'camping' now many mornings while having coffee I laugh and tell our youngest how good she has it , no 2 am hikes to the bath house , a/c , heat on chilly nights , running hot and cold water ... the list goes on .If I were to bring up the idea to my wife about sleeping in a tent now she would be off to the lawyer .
When our son comes home from over seas in a month we are all meeting him at Disney World so all of us can see how spoiled our Jayco has made us .
kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:20 PM   #5

Not no mo'!!!! No way LOL! I'm pretty comfortable with being comfortable in my new Jayco (but then again our kids are grown and we don't do boy/girls scouts anymore)
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:42 PM   #6

Come on now, folks, tent campin' with young grandkids is a rite of passage! Do we really want our TV watchin', electronic game playin', cell phone usin', social networkin', computer nerdy, air conditionin' dependent grandchildren to miss out on the joys of tent campin'? Now I ain't sayin' we have to take them tent campin' in the blazing heat of a Texas summer, no siree. But surely we can still manage a campin' trip in the fall or spring. If we don't expose them to the simple joys of communin' with nature without the distractions of "modern" life, who is gonna do it--probably not their parents and other people younger than us because they are consumed by electronic addiction, too.

I'm just sayin' . . . .
Old 06-27-2010, 03:44 PM   #7

LOL Sam! Ummmmm actually my son-in-law has a nice big tent! (Awwwwwwww, wutta relief, no pressure on me or Papa to tent camp!). But we do like to hike and play traditional games or do activities that we would if we were tent camping, *rubbing lower back* jes without the tent (hehehehe)
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 04:36 PM   #8

I use to hike into the back country, tent camp, etc all the time but alas, age and Mother Nature have joined forces to put a stop to such treks. My youngest son does camp with the scouts as he's one of the leaders in the troop his son is a member of. Bottom line, I'm an RV'er now though I haven't forgotten the tricks of the trade when it comes to tenting it and such.

By the way, my hat goes off to those that still venture out and "rough it" as many of us did in our youths.
RR Conductor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 05:54 PM   #9

I'll just watch from the Jayco. I grew-up tenting with No Water or potty we learned to ruff it. I also did my share of camping with Uncle Sam in a forien country too. Tent campers with the kids years ago, and Now the Designer. I stay with the Designer too. The old back can't take the hard ground.
Http://yogi154.blogspot.com/
yogi154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:34 AM   #10

I watch tent camping from my picture window.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:55 PM   #11

Boss...seems you and I are the minority here!

Did the Alaska loop in a tent once. In March/April. Now that was cold!

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
Old 06-28-2010, 08:55 PM   #12

Hmmm, guess I'm younger and tougher than I thought--or it could be I am just not as smart as the rest of you! Please don't bother to tell me which!!
Old 06-29-2010, 06:27 PM   #13

No, Sam, you hit the nail on the head! Our kids are not necessarily 'electronic-free' but it's certainly controlled. Dinnertime is at the table as a family for conversation. TV, if it's turned on, is saved for a couple hours on the weekend and they still need to ask permission to play Wii (not Wee, Wii)!

Your comments hold true - we've seen kids more often then not find themselves 'lost' when the plug is pulled and they need to either entertain themselves or (God Forbid) actually put in a decent day's work.

Although - to be fair ... I'm kinda hooked on my laptop......

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
Old 07-02-2010, 09:57 AM   #14

Been there, done that, don't wanna go back!
f00d30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:44 PM   #15

Well I just returned home from summer camp with the scouts. I spent a week in a wall tent with a wooden platform and an ancient army cot. I'll be trying out my new Jayco soon.

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 02:47 PM   #16
Site Team

Yep, with my boys in the Boy Scouts....
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 03:16 PM   #17

Well, since I am now electricity dependent (CPAP) I don't tent camp much anymore. I have been known to drag the Jayco to Boy Scout camp though...
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71
SMS1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 03:25 PM   #18

Ok, so this has been one of the funnier threads in a while.. Thanks everyone for the giggles reading your posts.

I'd like to think that I pretty much run in the majority here.. Mid 50's, tent camped for years now have an RV.. Been there done that sorta thing...

But I do agree, even though my boys are 17 now they have enjoyed the wonderful experience of setting up the camp and the tent, trying do it all with flashlight and lantern. Freezing our you know what's off on those cold mornings, etc, etc...

But last weekend we went out and it started raining about 2am all the way until around 11am.. We woke up around 10am, got up and popped a K-cup in the Kureig, turned on furnace and hopped back into bed and lounged around until about noon.. Wiped the fog off the inside window and watched the group of soaking wet, cold tent campers stuff their gear into the backs of their cars as fast as possible to get out of there... After a nice hot and hearty cooked breakfast we got up and spent a whopping 1/2 hour unhooking the power, water and sewer connections and hooked up the RV and headed on home..

Tent camping??? NAH... Not anymore......

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 04:02 PM   #19

Used to hike in and camp, then moved to car camping with a tent. With the new Greyhawk, no more tents for me!

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 04:28 PM   #20

The DW and I just made a swing that lasted 3 months thru the west. Started in Texas, Arizona, eastern side of the Sierras, Death Valley, Grand Canyon and spent the last three weeks exploring the big five National parks in Utah.
There is a lot more folks in the western half of the US that tent camp then I would have thought. I don't think it has much to do about wealth. You see many very affluent people that have the latest in hiking clothes or the some really fine bikes that want nothing to do with a generator or a 5th wheel camper. They are not snobs but look at camping entirely different then most of us. I personally prefer dry camping over full hookups. But I want to set in my recliner and lay down in my bed at night. A lot of camping spots in the West particularly National and state parks are not large enough to support 30 something foot campers. To each his own!!!
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote