Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-04-2012, 09:21 PM   #1

PLEASE REMEMBER: sunscrren and proper clothing

A lesson I learned the hard way last month. My doctor was concerned about a spot on my head and suggested that he check it out. A week later I found out that I have Melanoma. Not only skin cancer, but the absolute most dangerous kind of skin cancer!!

No doubt a result of many, many years of exposure without proper precautions. I've been sporting a bald head for many years and my time in the Marines and as a LEO have put me outside a lot. The day after I got the news I was meeting with surgeons and four days later I was in surgery. They removed a large area off the top of my head, a spot off the back of my neck, and the corresponding lymph nodes from behind my left ear.

About five days later at a check-up with the surgeon, I learned that it appears that all of my cancer has been removed with no signs that it has spread!!! AMAZING news news after the weirdest and scariest week of my life.

Bottom line is that you will not see me out anymore without suncreen and proper clothing. Please take care of yourselves as well. I missed a camping trip because of all this and that really burns me up! lol.
3Pillons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:18 PM   #2

Wow. Thanks for reminding us all to be carefully. Glad your doctor was on the ball! Good news on the results. I am sure camping will be all the more meaningfull to you. Take care!
Phar0e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:55 AM   #3
Site Team

I had a similar experience. I invested in a good wide brim hat, Tilley http://www.tilley.com/, that I wear anytime I am outside, along with plenty of sunscreen.

Also after having a few removed, they suggested I come in every 6 months for a check for more problems.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:38 PM   #4

Congratulations Bryan!... and keep up with the check ups. My boss/owner at a Landscape Company I worked for had skin cancer and is doing well. Advice well heeded for all of us. Hang in there. Sincerely, Cheetahflip!..diagnosed Testicular cancer Jan 2001 age 27- to date 2012 age 38 and now father of 3. Met with doctor for a work physical...4 days later found myself in an operating room...missed a 4 day weekend trip to a cabin rental in Gatlinburg, TN(asked doctor if we could postpone surgery)
Reese Strait Line Trunnion Dual Cam WD
Tekonsha P3
cheetahflip is offline   Reply With Quote