Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Life > Campfire Chat
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2013, 11:20 PM   #1

Poor customer service - Campground Experience

Started a two night camp at Golden Ears provincial park today. Kids playing in the forest, nice dinner with friends and family. Then the chaos...kids stumbled on to a yellow jacket nest in a log. Kids were stung parents were stung rushing to get kids. 2 kids and 2 adults, including myself received multiple stings. Wasps followed us into the trailer when we brought the kids in...one more sting. Kids were done. I went to the camp booth to request a refund for the following day and explained why. The staff member started to refuse, didn't appear to care that we had a wasp nest in our campsite. Or that kids were stung multiple times. It's not their fault we were stung, and I wasn't asking for today's money back. It wasn't till another staff member over heard us talking and told the staff i wad talking to that we requesting the refund for the next day and not today. She was still very rude but refunded our next day fee. All the other staff I dealt with we're very pleasant and professional, including the staff member that came to spray the wasps and in turn was also stung. Still it is the one rude staff that I will remember this day. Now I'm sitting back trying to figure a way to stop the burning in my legs...at least the children were able to fall asleep.
3firetrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:57 AM   #2

You don’t say how young your kids are…….maybe they are quite young.
When I was about 10 years old and our family was on a camping trip, I was the kid who was stung about a dozen times by yellow jacket bees. For me it was a life lesson in perseverance and persistence, and learning first aid for bee stings. Make a paste with baking soda and water then apply the paste to the sting area. Yes, it works. My parents did not shorten the camping trip, and we had a great time overall.
Regardless, you and your kids will remember the bee sting event for many years, and it will make a great camp fire story.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:47 AM   #3

We have had several unpleasant experiences over the years to do with camp staff, but the worst was in a state park in Missouri when I asked for a refund due to the fact that the bathrooms where so full of mould that it was literally growing like fur on every wall. Not to mention that the floors and other surfaces were also were completely filthy, including a used sanitary pad floating in the bottom of the shower AFTER the cleaning person came out of the building having supposedly cleaned it. I had honestly never encountered such an awful situation in a camp bathroom. Our trailer at that time did not have a bathroom and so the mouldy bathroom was the only option. The staff was refusing to give our money back (same request, please refund future days, I will still pay for today). Well anyway, I have learned a few things over the years and simply said.. O.K. ... thats fine, I will be sending photos to the health department about the state of this camp. At which point a supervisor was called and money finally refunded.
Fast forward .... I now own a Jay-flight 28 ft bunkhouse complete with its own bathroom and shower.... I guess I was permanently effected by that experience..lol

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:11 PM   #4

My son is 5 has allergies and of course I left his medication at home. I got an earful from my wife which was well deserved. He ended up being perfectly fine, me on the hand, I'm on immune suppressant medication which makes me susceptible to infection. I'm ok, but have had a much worse time of the stings then my son. The baking soda is a great idea. Thigh I did have a medical kit, I will be much more prepared for stings and will remember my sons allergy medications from now on. The other children faired very well. One of them was stung on the forehead, but he is just fine. As for the customer service I emailed my concerns and received an immediate response from the private contractor that runs the campground. Hopefully the staff member was just having a bad day and won't speak to anyone like was my case.
Ladywendolyn, that bathroom experience in Missouri sounded awful!
3firetrucks is offline   Reply With Quote