Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-06-2013, 06:08 PM   #11
I love the flavor of a charcoal grill, however I have young girls, when they decide they are hungry it is time to cook and we usually dont have time to wait for charcoal. I have never cooked over a campfire, I will have to try it sometime.

slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:08 PM   #12
We carry charcoal for the dutch oven cooking and use gas for all other grilling. Our new White Hawk came with an RVQ which we promptly put away in the garage. We have two other propane grills that will work for years still while camping. Guess I'll end up selling the RVQ sometime.

Never live your life saying 'I could of, should of, would of'
2014 Jayco White Hawk 30DSRE
2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 LS
Z71 Extended Cab w/Longbed, 5.3 ltr

Coleman Tent, Flagstaff Pop-Up, Jayco Eagle, Flagstaff Pop-Up, RPM Toy Hauler, Jayco White Hawk - Our camping evolution
stjohneyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:42 PM   #13
Mostly we cook inside. I do use our gas grill several times a week. Campfires in our park are unusual. Lots of older people can't handle the smoke so people that have fires are not popular.
2011 Eagle 330RLTS with just about every option.
Dodge SRW 1 ton Cummins powered.

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:51 PM   #14
You can pry my weber 120 from my cold-dead-no-longer camping hands. That with the skillet add on for breakfast is 90% of the cooking. We've only got on pot in the camper atm for beans/rice/etc.
2016 Eagle 284BHBE
2015 Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn 6.7L Cummings

Retired: 2014 X23B
mitechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:19 PM   #15
I keep a small Weber in the camper and use a can type charcoal starter.it only takes a few minutes to get white coals.If you shut the top and bottom dampers when you are done cooking it will kill the coals fast and they can be used for the next cook by mixing with some fresh ones.I like the way you can use the dampers on the Weber to control the heat and speed of cooking.Every gas grill I have owned had bad flare ups,even the ones that claim no flair ups. I still cook breakfast on my 40 yr old Coleman white gas grill with a cast iron griddle.But then I still use my Coleman white gas double mantel lantern to,there's just something about the sound of those Coleman products that means camping to me.I'm thinking about getting an electric smoker for home, and to take camping to add another aspect to our cooking.

David S.
2010 298 RLS Eagle
99 Ford F-250
1 wife
1 Toy Fox Teror
1 Tiny Chi Chi Wa that rules all of the above.
rugerguy is offline   Reply With Quote