Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-07-2015, 12:46 PM   #1

Propane water heater cost efficiency

Is it more cost efficient to leave my propane water heater on all the time or to turn it on before i need to use hot water? Its getting to be that time of season just wanted to hear some input on the subject. Thx
Cdunham30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 01:25 PM   #2

The small cost savings wouldn't be worth it to me as I'd forget to turn it back on soon enough before I needed it for my shower
Old 11-07-2015, 01:53 PM   #3

We spend three to five months a year in our fifth wheel in the winter ( Texas and Arizona ) when you stay by the month you pay the electric so we would use propane for the water heater. Three years ago I started turning the water heater off at night and whenever we didn't think we would need it . We would save a good 25% a month in propane. What got us thinking about it was laying in bed one night and would hear it kicking on several times to maintain the heat. More than you would think when you listen for it . It doesn't take much to heat up from dead cold because the tanks are relatively small.
Clayton4971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 03:06 PM   #4

Are you on an electric site? If so then just use the electricity that your already paying for by renting the site. Only time we use propane for the HWH is when we are about to take several showers.

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 05:17 PM   #5

Mine has no temp control, so it needs to run a lot at hi factory setting. However, it does take quite a while to cool down. We turn it off at nite, its still warm in the morning, and flip on both elect and gas for a real quick temp rise.
arkhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 05:31 PM   #6

i will bet you spend more money to pull your trailer 20 miles, than you will spend in 1 week leaving the water heater on 24/7.
rjackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, water heater