Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-16-2016, 11:01 PM   #21

I look back 15 years and more and when we camped by tent or pop up. We decided on a Thursday to go and left after work on Friday. Drove 2-3 hours and easily had our pick of many sites at any of our favorite state parks. Forward to to today, and now we better have reservations at least a month in advance for a non-holiday weekend.
What is interesting is that RV sales are up, but the number of people in camping is pretty static, just over 4 million of us, looking at the statistics back to 2005. if fact there are less of us than 10 years ago when the peak was about 4.5 million people. I suppose there are more couples instead of families getting into camping?

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:32 PM   #22

tslarson,

I also wonder how many RVs are being retired and replaced. I just haven't met that many completely new to camping folks out there in campgrounds - although a few have joined here so I know they are there.

During the down economy since 2008, a lot of people just kept using the old rig. Now that the economy has recovered slightly, many are upgrading (we did). The rig I just sold earlier this year could probably be resold, but I had a friend who had a rig the dealer wouldn't take on trade - my friend gave it to the Kidney Foundation. I suspect they dismantle them, sell the appliances and other usable parts like wheels, sell the steel for scrap metal and put the rest in a landfill.

That begs the question - where are the junkyards for old RV's :-).
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 06:34 AM   #23

You are so fortunate
suzieshome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 07:30 AM   #24
Site Team

According to the reported waiting times for RV service on many forums my thinking is there are more units out there then ever. I spoke with an RV service manager last month and he said there was a considerable wait time at their dealership for service (no matter where you bought it) simply because they only have so many techs to do the job. And he said the large number of ''newbie RVers'' that do not yet understand how things operate are part of that bottleneck since many of their issues are user error related. Now how much some of their RV`s are actually being used is another question. I know many folks who have boats and they never leave the dock, they thought they wanted one until they got it.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:00 AM   #25
Site Team

Another thing that adds to the problem, is that years ago the HWH was the highest tech thing on the rig.

Now days they are loaded with high tech electronics and gizmos that in addition to being hard to figure out, are also to technical for the average person to comprehend.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 11:59 AM   #26

I'm on my 3rd TT and each of the previous ones were sold to people just getting into RVing. My son-in-law and daughter got the first one and have since sold it to someone else, just getting into RVing. The second one sold to a lady and gentleman here in Weatherford that are brand new to RVing. Like my daughter, not everyone stays in it. Like me... some just get deeper and deeper........ Aaaaaahhhhh!!!!!
Old 12-18-2016, 12:20 PM   #27

We just got back into TT this year after a long absence raising kids. After over 9 weeks and about 6000 miles in the TT this year I agree with most of the comments. We Prefer the National, State and County Park. It seems more of the people go to the sites with Full hookups. I didn't do my homework and google the site before we went, but I took the 4.5+ rating as good, the staff was, but the site and hourly trains right next to the park weren't (and "free WiFi" didn't reach). We ended up sandwiched in between some permanent TTs, the staff "helped" me back in, I couldn't open my awning on my door side and if I could open my window on my slide side I could almost reach the next trailer. The good point was I don't know how, but that TT was put in backwards so their door opened the other way. Noted never to go back to that RV Resort.
Old 12-18-2016, 12:37 PM   #28

Sites like this are going to be gaining in popularity if the trend continues. I plan on trying out private property next year.
https://www.boondockerswelcome.com/hostlocations

It reminds me a little bit of bed and breakfast places which I'm not really a fan of. Typically when we go camping, I don't want to spend more than a couple minutes interacting with others of my species...

I use camping to reverse some of the burnout I get from my job, the less people I have to interact with during that time, the better. I'm kind of an introvert though.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote