Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-20-2016, 11:29 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
Nothing wrong with that.

I pulled an auction win 25' TT home with my sedan and the wrong coupling (TT 2 5/16 vs. 1 7/8 on the car) held together with heavy-duty zip ties.
no matter how smart or educated a person is they still do Dumb and Stupid things even when they know that they are Dumb and Stupid. Just shows they don't care about their safety or the safety of others
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 12:39 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedrck46 View Post
no matter how smart or educated a person is they still do Dumb and Stupid things even when they know that they are Dumb and Stupid. Just shows they don't care about their safety or the safety of others
These events are often preceded by "Hold my beer and watch this."

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 01:39 PM   #23

We all make our jokes, but i think this is a serious issue. Especially in this day and age, How many people go to pick up their new camper in a Midsize SUV that is "Rated for it" and blow a transmission or cant tow over 40mph with it. Sure they should do their research first, but to i would say a vast majority towing is something they trust when a salesman / dealership / Manufacturer who has been "Doing it for 40 years" tells them its ok.
Jm9301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 02:34 PM   #24

Opposite situation here. When I bought my Jay Flight SLX 165RB 2 years ago I was determined that I was going to tow it with my Dodge Grand Caravan. Salesman and other dealer staff did their best to tell me - very kindly - that this was not a formula for success. However, they graciously installed the hitch and brake controller on it for me.

Making a long story short, yeah, it worked. But the poor car was screaming "Don't do this to me!!!" Before we took any long trips I wisely bought a very nice 2010 F150. Problem solved. And now I'm happily towing a new Jay Feather 23RLSW.

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 05:05 PM   #25

Get the salesman to sign some sort of legal doc and if it doesn't work he can send you his pay check for the next 20 years
tshirtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:12 PM   #26

I have to say that where I bought mine about 10 days ago, the dealership's manager, salesman, and their service manager quizzed me about my tow vehicle, thoroughly. I actually got the impression they were truly concerned and honestly wanting to make sure I had enough vehicle to pull it...
Old 08-14-2016, 05:48 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
I have to say that where I bought mine about 10 days ago, the dealership's manager, salesman, and their service manager quizzed me about my tow vehicle, thoroughly. I actually got the impression they were truly concerned and honestly wanting to make sure I had enough vehicle to pull it...
I had the same experience schrederman. My salesman initially told me that the Whitehawk 28DSBH was too much trailer for my 2013 F150. We then went to Ford's website with all of the info on my truck and verified the trailer is within my trucks capabilities. My salesman stated they like to take the advertised tow ratings from the manufacturer and subtract 1000 lbs from that number. They then compare that number to the GVWR of the trailer. I still had a 1000 lb cushion using their formula.

They did not discuss payload of the truck with me at all, but I had already ran the numbers myself to make sure I was within the limits of my truck.
Campbellizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:36 AM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshirtman View Post
Get the salesman to sign some sort of legal doc and if it doesn't work he can send you his pay check for the next 20 years
Good luck with that!

The best way is to get advice from the manufacturer of the tow vehicle and trusted/ knowledgeable users.

There are many knowledgeable salesman in rv dealerships but in the end, it's your decision how to protect you and your family.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote