Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-30-2013, 09:45 PM   #1

Satellite trickery

As an avid sports watching family we love watching our ball games outside by the fire. Does everyone use their satellite the "lawful" way. If not what's your little secert
hoehn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:58 AM   #2

Curious to know of any secrets myself.
imaynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:17 AM   #3

If you are referring to pirating the satellite signals with bootlegged authorization cards and modified receivers I don't think anyone here would admit to any such activity. The moderators would likely take down any posting that condoned illegal activity.

However, taking a satellite receiver that you have a subscription for from your home and connecting it to a portable dish and using it in your camper/camp site is easy to do. I do that myself.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:54 AM   #4

Before the NATL BROADCAST came out with their digital TV broadcast signals I used to carry my legal subscription DIRECTV bedroom SAT RCVR and portable SAT DISH with me all the time on my camping trips with the blessings of DIRECTV. This was all legal with DIRECTV and actually had to use them several times to reset my system in order to view it. It seems alot of the time I would lose my profile when I unplugged the SAT RCVR so when I got setup at a campground back in the woods somewhere I would have to call DIRECTV or log into DIRECTV over the Internet and reset my BEDROOM SAT RCVR.

The first time this happened to me I had a bit of trouble trying to identify my SAT RCVR as I didnt have any of my DIRECTV account INFO on me at the time. After that incident I have now posted all of my account info to the SAT RCVR with acct number-phone numbers-card number-etc which has not been a problem since then getting my access card setup again.

The only thing I would lose when moving any distance from my original ZIP CODE location is that I would no longer receive my LOCAL STATIONs that was part of my SAT TV package. Prior to four to five back before DIRECTV started killing local TV stations outside your assigned ZIP CODE area I was able to watch our local TV stations anywhere we was at. Even at Wichita Mtns WildLife Refuge near Medicine Park, OKLA

Was kinda neat watching DIRECTV in the woods running off my batteries.

Then NATL BROADCAST came along with their very nice digital TV screen format which I usually pickup 6-36 digital channels from local towns using my OTA BATWING antenna just about everywhere I would go here on the East side of the US which was all in full screen- full high definition TV format. Granted this was only the National Broadcast channels ABC-CBS-NBC-FOX-PBS station and if I wanted to see something that was on the CABLE STATION lineup I would have to use the Internet and downstream them. All of this is for FREE to the general public... Sure beats watching CABLE TV at camp grounds...

All stated here based on my experiences only

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:46 AM   #5

We are a little different than most, since we fulltime and do not have a S&B House, we have a Dish Network Package and a dual channel receiver in our 5th Wheel.
Since many times we are in areas with trees, I just us a Tripod with the HD Dish on it.
Setup time for the Tripod / HD Dish is typically about 5 minutes.

Since we do not have a S&B House, we can get DNS (Distant Network Service).
When we are within approx. 250 miles of our billing zip code (Our Daughters address in Florida) we get the local channels for that zip code.
When we are more than 250 approx. miles from our billing zip code we do not get the local channels.
(I know, we could call Dish every time we move and give them our new Zip Code location, but if we need local news or weather, we just put up the antenna.)

With the DNS Service, we get the 4 major network feeds from New York, and the 4 major network feeds from San Francisco any where in the country we go.
Plus, if we miss a show on the East Coast, just wait a few hours and it will be rebroadcast on the West Coast
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote