Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-21-2015, 04:24 AM   #1

so what about camping stirs the inner child in you ?

I grew up camping at a lake with my family and those were some of the most fun filled and crazy times in my life. I think at times I am trying to recreate the fun and awe filled childish moments that happened naturally when I was a kid. I just finished a book called "In a pit with a lion on a snowy day" by Mark Batterson and it really struck me when he talks about becoming conformist in society and trying to be like everyone else. Have we become boring in our older years and lost the zest we had a children to explore the things out there that God created for our enjoyment? Do we worry more about what others think about us and what we have or what we do than what wild things we have yet to discover in the nature that we so long to get out to? When I go into some campgrounds it seems more like a subdivision with a bunch of robots trying to mimic some time in their past and not doing a very good job at it. I hope this camping season we can all take a look at the world God created with fresh eyes and shed the worries of being embarrassed of what someone else would think if we act a little childish again. Lets all try to imagine the world as a child sees it, without boundaries or rules that restrict us from being the fun loving people we were made to be. Let go of some of your inhibitions and have some fun and not just superficial fun but belly laugh fun with our children and friends. I guarantee you and your kids will remember it and treasure it for the rest of their lives. Don't be scared to look a little foolish at times, at the least it will make your kids laugh and it might just awaken something inside you that has been lost for a long time.
Old 03-21-2015, 05:01 AM   #2

I never camped as a kid. Not once. So for me, camping is just enjoying the here and now with my wife and kids. Not trying to relive or recreate past experiences. My wife did grow up camping so it may be different for her... Either way, we as a family really enjoy our time camping... In fact my sons make huge Lego trucks and campers all the time and pretend their Lego people camp. It's neat. They make Lego fifth wheel campers and dually's though and want to know when we are upgrading lol.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:45 AM   #3

For me, camping was my first way of being somewhat independent. I camped in a tent in the backyard when I was 7; moved to the woods and lakes by the house when I got older, and when I was able to drive, camping opened up the whole state of Florida for me.

Got married, had a child, and we camped in a TT. Son's moved away, but the wife and I still camp, all for the same reasons, an opertunity to get away from the daily life and simply relax.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:34 AM   #4

I never camped with my Parents, but they did rent a cottage on a few occasions. It was when I was around 18 Years old when the camping bug hit. I've loved it ever since.
At that age my Friends and I would simply head out pretty much when we felt like it...find some off the beaten path places to throw up tents and have a Fire for cooking. Then over time as we got married and had kids things morphed to the point where me and the guys would make a yearly camping trip with our kids. That lasted the better part of 10 years. My Wife and Kids have always loved camping and still do. We already have over 30 nights booked for this upcoming season. We'll be out on the East Coast for 3 weeks alone. :-)

What gets the kid going in me. Hmmm, a handful of Caesars and an excellent meal. Food has always tasted great when cooked outdoors. I am all about R&R now and seeing new places.
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:48 PM   #5

I'm with you.
brettster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:11 PM   #6

For me I grew up tent camping in the Blue Ridge Pkwy area and trailer camped in Myrtle Beach (Lakewood) in the summers months while on some beach vacations. Now we enjoy taking our girls camping in the Jayco as much as we can hopefully to build some good memories to reflect on. One of the things I think the kiddies and others in the park get a kick out of are my sidewalk chalk drawings that kinda brings out the kid in me some.

From this weekend (Easter at JellyStone) and last years..

exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:34 PM   #7

I grew up tent camping and some of my best memories of my Dad was sitting around a campfire and loving the great outdoors....
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 09:10 AM   #8

Many camping trips with my family growing up. Late night fishing on the river brings me right back to being 8-12. Dad would have to work sometimes and being on the rotating shifts, he would get back around 10-11 at night. We would wait up for him and take the boat out to fish in the moonlight. I remember having to row out a ways before we could start the motor (5hp) for consideration sake of the other campers. Taking eels off the line by flashlight. Sigh.....need to call my dad.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:55 AM   #9

I saw pretty much all of Canada and parts of the US in a 1992 Coleman Pop-up with double beds. It was small and cozy, but my parents and brother and I camped up in the mountains of Montana while it snowed overnight, with so many blankets on me I could barely roll over, all the way to being parked on the ocean in PEI, Mount Rushmore a couple times, etc. Great memories.

Now that I'm 30 and have a wife and dog and recently a little girl of my own, I want to have those same bonding experiences and campfire magic that I remember as a kid.

I also tend to always be on the go and busy doing stuff at home, so camping is forced removal from the tasks of life and makes me relax a bit. Lots of walks around the campground checking out other peoples' set ups, etc.
Old 07-15-2015, 01:43 PM   #10

Just thinking about going starts the fire. packing up and hooking to the camper fuels the fire getting there and getting set up starts the festivities. All of the above get the DW so nervous she needs a relaxer. She hates the drive most of all. I think it makes it worse for her when I am smiling while driving and the camper is bouncing all over.

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:03 PM   #11

Not so much 'inner child' as 'peaceful soul'.

Didn't camp much as a kid. Maybe a dozen times in 20 years.

Then my son got into Boy Scouts and I jumped in as an Assistant Scout Master and discovered how much fun planning for and helping execute a weekend of roughing it was.

Currently we own a very private patch of land just outside of Adirondack Park. We do extended weekends with the only item on the agenda is visiting with the active members of the 'homeowner's association'.

Hours spent tending the fire. It is quite the Zen experience to toast the perfect marshmallow. Going to bed when we feel like it. Waking to birdsong. Getting up and fixing breakfast at whatever o'clock. On a couple of trips up, we've spent the entire time on the private lands.

I still enjoy the technical aspects of making sure the trailer is ready for the trip, stocking the pantry and loading the fridge.

But once we get there, the rest of the world does not exist...

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote