Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-30-2013, 03:59 PM   #1

stockpiling incandescent bulbs?

I got a good chuckle out of some comments from a recent article about the upcoming ban of 40 and 60 watt incandescent bulbs. I converted most of my house to CFL bulbs over the years and I want to convert those to LEDs when they come down in price or as the CFLs fail. There are still a ton of bulbs that are not going away to include 3 way bulbs, plant bulbs, appliance bulbs, rough service bulbs (for garage door openers) and high watt bulbs (150 and 200 for garages). CFL bulbs create less heat, use less energy and last a lot longer than incandescent bulbs.....why are some so reluctant to switch bulb types?
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:42 PM   #2

I agree. We bypassed the CFL route at our house and went straight to the LED's. The LED's are not as expensive as they were 3-4 yrs ago but they are higher than CFL's. Here in Michigan the energy company will give you the CFL's for free. I personally like the light from LED's. Lowes has recessed LED bulbs for $8.97. I just purchased them last week.
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:51 PM   #3

I have a mix of bulbs, Incandescent, CFL, and LED. There are a few spots I have not switched out yet. They are primarily where I read, and in fixtures where you can see the bulb. I think CFLs look ugly, and I do not like to read by them. The other thing I do not like about CFLs is the mercury in them, they are a hazardous waste item, and somewhat of a pain to properly get rid of. I have bought a few LEDs, but for accent lighting where I do not need a lot of light. I would like to buy the new 3M LED lights. They are awesome, they do an excellent job simulating incandescent bulbs, but the price is a bit scary.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #4

I've never been a fan of CFL's, although I have used them in the past.

I love the LED lights, and replaced all my 60 watt bulbs (and CFLs) with them once they became available for a reasonable price (under $10) at my local Costco, which was probably a year ago. I also replaced a couple of outside par 38 floods with LEDs equivalents as well. I expect continued improvement and price improvements on the higher watt bulbs when the corresponding incandescent bulbs finally get the ax.
perfpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:28 PM   #5

Ill tell you why people don't want to switch. It is because of the awful color and shape of most LED bulbs.. they give off cold and harsh light, and they look like pigtails. Some attempt has been made to improve them, but I think they are a long way from people loving them.

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:38 PM   #6

Most of my CFLs are in fixtures where you don't see the bulb so shape asthetics hasn't been an issue for me. Color is hit and miss although I recently bought some Ecosmart brand bulbs at Home Depot that has a cool white color. As for hazardous disposal, I'm not sure if they have any more mercury than the 4' tubes that most people have in their kitchens, garages or shops and most Home Depots have a collection box for CFL disposal.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:58 AM   #7

I am totally CFL here at the house except for outside sensor lights which are halogen... Been this way for a few years now... Haven't tried the LED 120VAC conversions yet for the house. I'm betting they will be another source for Radio Frequency Interference for my HAM RADIO... The regulated type in the RV Trailers sure did turn out to be RFI sources for me.

I too also had to chuckle when I saw the TV commercial of the elderly lady with a push cart full of incandescent bulbs. She is happy with her decision and that is all that matters...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:16 AM   #8

The problem for me is the fact that the government is telling the sheeple that they can't have a certain type of light bulb because the government thinks they are bad. Really?? The components in an incandescent lamp are not harmful. CFL's = mercury going into the landfills. Let's save the environment by closing all the coal fired plants and then we can flood the environment with mercury from our government mandated CFL's.

If they are so wonderful then why do you have to ban the competition in order to sell them? Let the market decide which which bulb is king.

Just wait until the government decides for you what type of vehicle (if any) they'll let you have. Let's say the government thinks that big trucks and motorhomes are bad for the nation because they gobbble up society's fuel. It's all fine and dandy until it hits close to home.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
The problem for me is the fact that the government is telling the sheeple that they can't have a certain type of light bulb because the government thinks they are bad. Really?? The components in an incandescent lamp are not harmful. CFL's = mercury going into the landfills. Let's save the environment by closing all the coal fired plants and then we can flood the environment with mercury from our government mandated CFL's.

If they are so wonderful then why do you have to ban the competition in order to sell them? Let the market decide which which bulb is king.

Just wait until the government decides for you what type of vehicle (if any) they'll let you have. Let's say the government thinks that big trucks and motorhomes are bad for the nation because they gobbble up society's fuel. It's all fine and dandy until it hits close to home.
x2.......Ain't it the truth.......
Old 12-31-2013, 06:54 AM   #10
Site Team

Still using incandescents at the Crab house....

Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:37 AM   #11

It is my understanding that light bulbs, if produced and sold only within the same state are exempt from the federal rules. Take a look at this....http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011...descent-bulbs/
This is one of many aspects that I enjoy about South Carolina. We attempt to fight back when we believe the federal government is wrong.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post

This is the most sensible post in this thread. Yes, I will stockpile and yes, I will use them as long as I can find one simply because I don't want some government stooge with a bad combover telling me what I can have and use in my own home. Hazmat disposal? Are you kidding me? If I do break one, it's going in the trash, just like any other florescent bulb containing mercury. Sorry if the tree huggers and the environmental whacks don't like that, but they don't pay my bills and they don't buy the products and materials I use. This whole thing along with the EPA idiots is just simply over the top. <rant off>
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:50 AM   #13

I find it funny that people are freaking out over the mercury content in CFLs not realizing that those 4' tube and U shaped florescent bulbs in millions of kitchens, shops, garages, retail locations and office areas also contain mercury. The bulbs have been around for decades and suddenly people panic over mercury? I'm with you Bob, I’d just throw a broken bulb away but I know most Home Depots collect bad bulbs. I'd also guess that people are more likely to get mercury poisoning from the fish and shrimp you eat that your local grocer imports from Vietnam or China than from a broken CFL.
From a TT owner's perspective, most of us know there are more efficient bulbs than an incandescent and some have replaced those with LEDs and we didn’t need the government to tell us that.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:51 AM   #14

I guess it's a bit of a tradeoff for me. I HATE it when the slovernment tells me what I can't do. At the same time, I don't want to give my money to the utility company. I made the switch to CFL years ago for 2 reasons: 1) lower energy bills 2) I live in S. Texas, so anything that produces heat in the summer has got to go.

I really don't like that the CFLs contain mercury, and so I'm very much looking forward to LEDs coming down in price somewhat so I can convince DW that they're better. But I've never had a CFL fail unless it was physically broken, and I hate to throw something out that is working just fine. So I guess I'll just have to replace them over time. I've already begun the process of trading them out in my trailer, so I know a lot about what to look for in an LED that I'll be happy with as far as color and brightness.

As for stockpiling incandescent, well that's just silly. But if it makes ya happy, go for it!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:41 PM   #15

Be careful - people are listening to your calls, hacking your iPhone and reading your e-mails....dissent will be crushed

Name:  untitled (4).jpg
Views: 6
Size:  5.8 KB
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:49 PM   #16

I'm not sure if I have even one incandescent bulb left in my house. CFL's last so much longer and use so much less electricity it's make no sense to use incandescent bulbs anymore.

Stockpiling them would be like like stockpiling CRT TVs' and monitors. You can if you want but why?
Old 12-31-2013, 06:47 PM   #17

What I like best about this thread is the word "sheeple". Even though they borrowed the concept, Pink Floyd was on to something.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote