Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-26-2010, 05:17 PM   #11
How we became Jayco owners -

When I met my wife, I was backpacking on weekends in the Catskill Mountains and her idea of "roughing it" was staying anywhere that didn't have room service. When the kids were small we realized we couldn't afford to vacation her way and didn't want to my way so we compromised and bought a small Coleman pop-up. To her credit, she did really good in those early years and actually found she enjoyed it more than she thought she would. She especially liked that I did the cooking and became very fond of the campfires and smores. As time went by and the boys got older and it wasn't "cool" to spend weekends in the camper with the "old folks" anymore we stopped going. We sold the pop-up and thought we had closed that chapter of our lives.

Now we are approaching retirement, the boys have their own families and we began reminiscing about the fun we had camping. The more we talked about it the more we wanted to get back on the road. We bought a new Rockwood pop-up and went out for 3-days over Columbus Day weekend in 2009. We learned several things that weekend, not the least of which was that we were older now and the pop-up wasn't as much fun as we remembered it to be. Maybe the overnight low of 20 degrees had something to do with our change of heart. The heater ran constantly and I ran out of propane the second night.

The first half of our ride home from that outing was eerily quiet until I broke the silence when I admitted that maybe we had made a mistake. The rest of the way home was filled with much animated conversation as we discussed our options to "fix" the situation. By November 1, we had traded in the brand new, only used once, pop-up camper for a new leftover 2009 Jay Feather Sport 197. Did we lose money on the pop-up? Sure! Are we happy with our final choice? Absolutely! This past summer we towed our little summer home over 5200 miles exploring the east coast and we are planning our itinerary for next summer, as we hunker down in preparation of the winter months.

Our only regret is that we didn't do it sooner!

Tim & Cindy
our rescued fur babies,
Madison (JRT and Beagle mix)
Beau (Hound mix)
2015 Jay Flight Swift SLX 185RB
2009 Honda Ridgeline RTS
JayRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:11 PM   #12
Site Team
We tent camped for years with the family and Scouts. Still do with the Scouts. In May 2008 we were tent camping in a local CG, DW myself and our 3 youngest. We were the only ones in a tent in a park full of RV`s. That evening a T storm blew up and our tent poles started buckling. I tied them to a tree. I figured it would be like most T storms we have, blow through and in half an hour its gone. Kept telling DW that. Wrong! The storm came in waves, heavy rain, lightning and when you thought it was almost over it would linger on. We got in the truck a couple times and the last time we were in the tent and it started up again raining and Lightning DW told me when the rain lets up, we`re going home! (only lived 22 miles away). I sheepishly agreed and admitted I was wrong about how long T storms last.

We went home and it turned out to be one of the worst storms I can remember. We came back the next day and broke camp. After seeing all the RV`s there we discussed getting a TT. That fall we bought a used small Coachmen Bunkhouse model. We fell in love with trailer camping but soon realized we needed something bigger. So August 2009 we ordered the Jayco 28BHS and put up the Coachmen for sale. It sold in one day, to my great surprise, leaving us again with no trailer until the Jayco was ready In October 09. So once again we tent camped awhile and then broke in the new Jayco just days after it rolled off the assembly line. This trailer fits our needs well and DW loves it. And if mama`s happy everybody`s happy! We camp as much as we can as my work allows. I sure wish we could go camping more and further away then we do.

2004 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0l, 4.10r

2010 Jayco Jayflight 28BHS
Reese Strait Line with Dual Cam
P3 Brk controller
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:50 PM   #13
Jaycos have been a family tradition since I was a teenager, and my father brought home a Jayco pop-up back in 1972. When it came time for me to settle down after years living overseas as part of the Air Force, I found my family's Jayco fiver on eBay, called the seller, we came to terms and I drove to Woodstock, Georgia and brought her home. That was five years ago.

Since then I have made it more comfortable and attended to her various needs. She has needed some work to replace some rotted wood in the side panels, I replaced the original carpeting, and added things like satellite TV and radio, a flat screen TV, DVD player, and other electronic goodies.

Restapling some loose aluminum skin will be on the to-do list for the winter, and she should be fully ready inside and out come spring. I'll even add a generator if I can find one at the right price.

All told, I love my Jayco fiver. It's fully customized to my wife and I's liking, it's warm and toasty in the winter, cool in the summer, and still has all of its original appliances, well maintained. The best part is, she's fully paid for.

Richard and Laura Ray
Amateur Radio W4RLR
"The Green Goblin" 2008 F-250 Lariat CC SB, 6.4 liter automatic, 4x4"Love Shack" 1995 Jayco Eagle 277 RBSS fifth-wheel
rray32539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:52 AM   #14
Way back my idea of roughing it was any hotel that did not have a hot tub... When I started RVing I even bought one of those inflatable hot tubs to take with me... great idea but they leaked too much and did not hold the temp well.
so now I do without... besides when boondocking you dont have the spare power...
2004 Chev Silverado Duramax optioned past the max. 2009 Jayco Eagle 308 RLS 765 watts of solar, 6-6 volt batteries (696 amp hour), 2000 watt (4000 surge) whole house inverter.
140 days boondocking in 2016
211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:16 PM   #15
Too long of a story but basically I got mad cuz I wanted a nap in some nice a/c! We were in a tent in Arkansas in Aug. It was 10,453 degrees outside. We went to town the next day and 4 hours later had our first camper.....A Jayco designer 2930RKS! Doubt I will ever own anything else but a Jayco!
Stephen & Lori
Jordan (Our daughter)
Kitty & Elmore (Our 2 dumped cats)
Adopt a shelter pet!

2009 Jayco Designer 37RLQS
2011 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax Crew Cab 4X4 Dually
20K Curt Q5 hitch
av8arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:12 PM   #16
First a tent, followed by a Montgomery Wards pop up with the sink, ice box (cooler) and cook top in a drawer that slid out the back. Then a 1967 Shasta 18' TT that we paid $500 for (couldn't pass that up). First modern TT was a 24' Coachman TT, but with our traveling companions now consisting of 2 German Shepherds, quickly out grew. On to a 5'r, a '97 Holiday Rambler with a single slide. And now own 2 Jaycos, a 1969 pop up that we bought for the kids and grandchildren, and our very oen summer home on wheels, the Pinnacle 36 RETS.
John & Nancy

2011 Pinnacle 36RETS
1969 Jayco Pop Up
2003 Chevy C3500 diesel dually crew cab
EykeSchH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:02 PM   #17
I started camping in a tent when I was a teen in the late 90ís; it was the only way for my friends and I to get some freedom. I swear we were always well behaved.

After my wife and I got married we purchased a tent trailer in 2009 to make sure we were going to like "adult camping". My brother in law and his family had a 29' TT so we knew the finer amenities were not far.

After two years we knew we loved camping and decided it was time got a trailer with a bathroom and a trailer.

We only bought our TV two years ago and love it so we were limited to a trailer of 3,500 GVWR. The Jayco Swift SLX 184BH has sleeping for our new family and all the convenience items we need. I pick it up on the 30th.
2012 Jayco Swift 184BH (2011-currant)
2009 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS
Eaz-Lift 550 Pound Equalizer Hitch
Curt Discovery Brake Controller

Previous Trailer:
2008 Viking 1906UD Tent Trailer (2009-2011)
bender031177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:12 PM   #18
We started with a tent that had a million parts and took forever to set up. That was sold and we bought a tent trailer with only half as many pieces to put together. An 8ft pickup camper was next and it served us well with a super cab Ford. With the kids getting bigger we bought a 24ft Security travel trailer which was swapped for a 24ft Road Ranger travel trailer. We sold the RR and bought a 20ft motorhome. The motorhome was traded for our favorite, a 25ft Prowler travel trailer. We liked it so much we kept it for 13 years. After a winter in Arizona we felt we needed more room so we sold the Prowler to a neighbor and bought a Montana Mountaineer 5th wheel with two slides. After 4 years of problems with a trailer we really didn't like we traded the money pit for our Jayco 330RLTS. We will most likely keep our Jayco for several years. It is almost as good as our Prowler with a lot more room.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:35 PM   #19
Site Team
I've been camping for over 40 years. My family always camped with my cousins. There are pictures of me on a portable toilet in a tent from the late 60's. We moved up to a small trailer and when I left home in the 80's we had a 28' bunkhouse.

Fast forward to 2005. I left the Army and my sisters and my cousins were camping with their families. My family and I joined them in 2006 with a tent. The following year we upgraded to a bigger tent. Starting in 2008 we started renting a pop-up from a local dealer. This was much better but it required a lot of work to load and then empty.

We decided last year that we should look at larger campers. With my SportTrac we needed something light so we looked at hybrids and pop-ups with A/C. In December we found one on Craig's List that was at the dealer I rented from just a mere 4 miles from my house. We bought it the next week.

Now we moved from a once a year, 4 day camping trip to 3 trips so far and we leave Thursday for trip 4 and have 1 more trip scheduled. The A/C, color television for my son and microwave/bathroom make a world of difference.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:05 PM   #20
We had no idea what make to get. We went to a large dealer in the Omaha/council bluffs area. It was very impersonal and high pressure. They had many brands but we were pretty frustrated with them. In fact, we about gave up until we decided to stop at Apache Camper in Bellview, Nebraska. They may have had a few brands but the saleswoman was so nice and showed us Jayco. There was no pressure at all. She answered all our questions.

We bought an 806 on the spot. We were so happy with the quality and dealer that we upgraded this year to our Skylark.

2012 Forest River 28bh
2012 Toyota Tacoma
2012 Skylark KFV - Gone
2010 Jayco 806 - Gone
Zombied is offline   Reply With Quote