Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-13-2015, 06:35 AM   #21

This is written while running Win 10, so far (except for problems importing/managing all my prior IE favorites) no problems.

This system (2007? HP All in One Touchscreen) started life with Vista, upgraded to Win 8 then 8.1.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:50 AM   #22

We have two win8.1 laptops and two WIN7 Laptops and finally yesterday got the last WIN7 laptop upgraded to WIN 10.

Had a couple of glitches both having to do with FIREFOX apps.

I have heard that WIN10 and FLDIGI for Radio Teletype apps is not fully compatible. I am sure future updates will fix that... I am still using my DEL M90's on XP-PRO running my radio apps which don't get on the internet all that much anyway.

So for all seems to running just fine...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:10 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
Is there a way to turn off the fully automatic updates? I life in an RV full time and am on a metered internet usage plan 99% of the time. I want to be able to turn off auto updates so I can do it when I'm on a non metered internet connection. Is this possible with 10 as it is with 8.1?

Yes u can turn off automatic updates. Even if u leave it on automatic updates, it says it will not perform them when u are on a metered connection.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:17 PM   #24

I quit using anything windows related 3 years ago, Apple is the way to go!
UpstateNY-31FS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:40 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateNY-31FS View Post
As long as you don't need to use anything requiring Flash, or mind a random closing of websights, or use YouTube. Or is that just because my iPad has reached is useful life of four years?
notaz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:56 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateNY-31FS View Post
Apple's OSX is only half-decent because it is built on top of Unix, but crippled so that Apple can keep you in their wall-garden and collect your money for services.

If you all want to truly upgrade switch to a desktop-focused Linux or Unix distribution. They are quite easy to install as long as there are no hardware support issues. I use Ubuntu, but Linux Mint is also a good option. If you want to "reinvigorate" an old computer, swap out the harddrive for an SSD and install Linux!
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:10 PM   #27

i actually have Ubuntu 10 on a work computer and it is pretty great compaired to windows, Fast, lean and mean. Windows 7 on my primary workstation at work. But I am not connected to the outside world.... Because I work for the Board of Elections and my work station has to be isolated!
UpstateNY-31FS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 06:25 PM   #28

Finally got around to updating my Surface Pro 3 with Win 10. Painless upgrade and I like how it runs and quickness. Only issue is that my sound does not work. Spent most of this afternoon/evening trying all the fixes and Driver updates. Will keep trying as I see there are a lot of others with similar issues with the sound & Win 10.

Only good news is I do not have to listen to any more of those cute Cat videos on YouTube

015 Ford F250 Lariat SD
2015 Jayco WhiteHawk 27DSRL (Sold)
2017 KZ Durango D281RLT.
RSerendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 06:33 PM   #29

I gave up on Windows about 7 years ago, have been using Macbooks and could not be happier.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:02 PM   #30
Site Team

OK I`m now getting the prompt to upgrade to windows 10. Will let my son handle this as he is a computer whiz.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 01:10 PM   #31

Good news! Microsoft has a Patch for the Sound issue on upgrades to Win 10. Loaded the patch the other night and once rebooted it actually played a sound.

All Websites, YouTube, stored music, are now back. Still not going back to those Cat videos tho. LOL

015 Ford F250 Lariat SD
2015 Jayco WhiteHawk 27DSRL (Sold)
2017 KZ Durango D281RLT.
RSerendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 01:34 PM   #32

Earlier today I switched browsers, from the new/improved MS Edge to Chrome.

My complaint: adblock plus doesn't work on the new browser and I'm sick of all the ads that are required in order to view various news videos. Chrome supports that feature.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:50 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorbreath View Post
Apple's OSX is only half-decent because it is built on top of Unix, but crippled so that Apple can keep you in their wall-garden and collect your money for services.

If you all want to truly upgrade switch to a desktop-focused Linux or Unix distribution. They are quite easy to install as long as there are no hardware support issues. I use Ubuntu, but Linux Mint is also a good option. If you want to "reinvigorate" an old computer, swap out the harddrive for an SSD and install Linux!
The thing I still can't get over, is when a Apple user brings in a machine for repair to my shop, they can not believe there Apple has a virus and spy ware on their machine. For too long Apple users have been told they do not need a AV and now about half of the Spyware infected machines in my shop are Apples.

2011 Ranger Sport
brianca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 03:57 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post
Earlier today I switched browsers, from the new/improved MS Edge to Chrome.

My complaint: adblock plus doesn't work on the new browser and I'm sick of all the ads that are required in order to view various news videos. Chrome supports that feature.

Me too. I like the new browser, but I can't live without AdBlock or 1Password. Edge is supposed to get support for extensions. When it does, I'll switch back.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:56 PM   #35

I have a Lenova that was running 7. I upgraded to 10, but ran into many issues. My
"settings" menu never came up (others had same) and other programs, but the Chrome and Firefox worked. I also had a lot of trouble typing, the keystrokes were getting lost and it slowed way down. After a large update, a couple of reboots, and its actually working great now. I was about to go back to win 7.

FYI< I have a older but beefed up desktop (3 core processor, 6 gig ram, etc) and it was running XP which of course went unsupported. I didn't use it much, as its sort of extra one, but I installed Linux Mint on that one, and it was SO EASY. Runs great and has drivers for every printer I have and scanner, tons of software from a store, and it was all free. Its super stable too. updates didn't even require a reboot. Very impressed.