Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-12-2011, 03:20 PM   #1
That's NOT camping! Now confess

When I say I am heading out to go "Camping," friends and neighbors say, "That is NOT camping." Ok, motor homes and trailers have come a long way with all the comforts of home. So besides the "wheels" how do you NOT camp? I will start:
1. I use fire starters to start my campfire (not flints or rubbing sticks).
2. I purchase 30" roasting sticks 12 for a dollar at the discount store to use for toasting marshmallows. (no more hunting in the woods for the "best stick"). And Yes I do toast them over the campfire and not the stove or toaster!
So what do you do to NOT camp?

This is my list, wife actually brings a hair drier! Real city girl! So she cannot be included in the discussion!

Mike and Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:59 PM   #2
We started out in a tent, then a pop-up, then a fifth wheel, then a nicer fifth wheel. It's all camping. Maybe your friends aren't really camping if they bring a tent with them; that's too easy. Maybe they shouldn't even take a sleeping bag, and construct their camping bed out of twigs and leaves. Actually, they shouldn't even take clothing with them, and just carefully weave some leaves together. Remind them to look out for the poison ivy.

There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:09 PM   #3
I'm new to "camping" in a trailer. We just got ours on Thursday and we haven't gone "camping" in it yet, but I am sure looking forward to roughing it with a washroom instead of an outhouse!
KathyDiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:11 PM   #4
For us camping is good times spent with the family. We tent camp, wilderness camp, and RV camp - all good. But if the only way to get my daughter out is to provide her with a good bathtub and a nice bed then so be it! I have even thrown up a projector and shown a movie because it makes the kids like it just that much more and want to go again.

I would not trade those memories for anything.
2009 Jayco 26BH
2004 Chevy Silverado 1500
2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:51 PM   #5
I'm a teacher and I survey my kids year after year about getting out of the city. On average of 150 kids I teach a year probably 20 have been out of the city in the last year and only a few hiking or camping. So hey, getting out in a tent, trailer, or even a cottage is great. My kids look forward to "camping" all year. They can stop talking about it and they are 3 and 5. We went from tent, to pop up and now a small hybrid TT. I say its all good. I want my kids to know what a forest, lake and wildlife look like!

Now lets go camping!.

Now I will confess. I bring my Ipod with me and bring the DVD player for the kids.
bertscampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:13 PM   #6
Site Team
I think what I have learned over the years is that the experiences are what counts, not the equipment. Our kids will not likely remember or care how big or fancy our units are or are not, how many slides they have or do not, etc. The fact that we take them on these adventures and spend time with them is what`s really important and what they will remember most of all. Now if you`re retired and or full timing or snowbirding then all those creature comforts and size do really matter. After all, your RV is your home in that situation.

Like others we do different types of camping. Mine ranges from sleeping on a tarp on the ground to my Kelty tent to our Jayco! So sometimes I rough it and sometimes I go for the ease and comfort of Trailer camping. Like bertscampers said, its all good!

2004 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0l, 4.10r

2010 Jayco Jayflight 28BHS
Reese Strait Line with Dual Cam
P3 Brk controller
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:41 PM   #7
I like to be comfortable so we take everything we need. We don't generally do weekend trips, when we go we stay for a few weeks. Comfort is king.

TV (x)
phone (x)
computers (x)
cold frige (x)
beer (x)
snacks (x)
Quad (x)
2011 Eagle 330RLTS with just about every option.
Dodge SRW 1 ton Cummins powered.

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:13 AM   #8
full satellite internet and satellite TV
515 watts of solar with a 2000 watt inverter
2004 Chev Silverado Duramax optioned past the max. 2009 Jayco Eagle 308 RLS 765 watts of solar, 6-6 volt batteries (696 amp hour), 2000 watt (4000 surge) whole house inverter.
140 days boondocking in 2016
211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:03 PM   #9
I remember tent camping with my kids many years ago and I forgot a can opener.

I wandered down to another tent campsite and I asked the lady there if she had one I could use. She was so helpful; she even opened my can for me with her electric can opener! I'm still amazed that someone would bring an electric can opener with them camping!
KathyDiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:17 PM   #10
I know I'm camping, when at night, laying on an open medow and looking up, you have a beautiful view of the milky way, shooting stars, and all the constellations. Can't beat it.

David472 is offline   Reply With Quote