Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-12-2011, 03:20 PM   #1

That's NOT camping! Now confess

When I say I am heading out to go "Camping," friends and neighbors say, "That is NOT camping." Ok, motor homes and trailers have come a long way with all the comforts of home. So besides the "wheels" how do you NOT camp? I will start:
1. I use fire starters to start my campfire (not flints or rubbing sticks).
2. I purchase 30" roasting sticks 12 for a dollar at the discount store to use for toasting marshmallows. (no more hunting in the woods for the "best stick"). And Yes I do toast them over the campfire and not the stove or toaster!
So what do you do to NOT camp?

This is my list, wife actually brings a hair drier! Real city girl! So she cannot be included in the discussion!
Mike and Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:59 PM   #2

We started out in a tent, then a pop-up, then a fifth wheel, then a nicer fifth wheel. It's all camping. Maybe your friends aren't really camping if they bring a tent with them; that's too easy. Maybe they shouldn't even take a sleeping bag, and construct their camping bed out of twigs and leaves. Actually, they shouldn't even take clothing with them, and just carefully weave some leaves together. Remind them to look out for the poison ivy.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:09 PM   #3

I'm new to "camping" in a trailer. We just got ours on Thursday and we haven't gone "camping" in it yet, but I am sure looking forward to roughing it with a washroom instead of an outhouse!
KathyDiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:11 PM   #4

For us camping is good times spent with the family. We tent camp, wilderness camp, and RV camp - all good. But if the only way to get my daughter out is to provide her with a good bathtub and a nice bed then so be it! I have even thrown up a projector and shown a movie because it makes the kids like it just that much more and want to go again.

I would not trade those memories for anything.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:51 PM   #5

I'm a teacher and I survey my kids year after year about getting out of the city. On average of 150 kids I teach a year probably 20 have been out of the city in the last year and only a few hiking or camping. So hey, getting out in a tent, trailer, or even a cottage is great. My kids look forward to "camping" all year. They can stop talking about it and they are 3 and 5. We went from tent, to pop up and now a small hybrid TT. I say its all good. I want my kids to know what a forest, lake and wildlife look like!

Cheers

Now lets go camping!.

Now I will confess. I bring my Ipod with me and bring the DVD player for the kids.
bertscampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:13 PM   #6
Site Team

I think what I have learned over the years is that the experiences are what counts, not the equipment. Our kids will not likely remember or care how big or fancy our units are or are not, how many slides they have or do not, etc. The fact that we take them on these adventures and spend time with them is what`s really important and what they will remember most of all. Now if you`re retired and or full timing or snowbirding then all those creature comforts and size do really matter. After all, your RV is your home in that situation.

Like others we do different types of camping. Mine ranges from sleeping on a tarp on the ground to my Kelty tent to our Jayco! So sometimes I rough it and sometimes I go for the ease and comfort of Trailer camping. Like bertscampers said, its all good!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:41 PM   #7

I like to be comfortable so we take everything we need. We don't generally do weekend trips, when we go we stay for a few weeks. Comfort is king.

TV (x)
phone (x)
computers (x)
cold frige (x)
beer (x)
snacks (x)
Quad (x)
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:13 AM   #8

full satellite internet and satellite TV
515 watts of solar with a 2000 watt inverter
A/C
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:03 PM   #9

I remember tent camping with my kids many years ago and I forgot a can opener.

I wandered down to another tent campsite and I asked the lady there if she had one I could use. She was so helpful; she even opened my can for me with her electric can opener! I'm still amazed that someone would bring an electric can opener with them camping!
KathyDiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:17 PM   #10

I know I'm camping, when at night, laying on an open medow and looking up, you have a beautiful view of the milky way, shooting stars, and all the constellations. Can't beat it.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
I think what I have learned over the years is that the experiences are what counts, not the equipment. Our kids will not likely remember or care how big or fancy our units are or are not, how many slides they have or do not, etc. The fact that we take them on these adventures and spend time with them is what`s really important and what they will remember most of all.
Dead on! We purchased our camper a few weeks ago simply to make memories. I really enjoy backwoods hiking, my boys like car/tent camping, and the wife and girls like having the amenities of the house with them. So far the TT works well as a "base camp" for hiking into Moab, Zions, and the Uinta mountains. I would have been happy with a "upgraded" tent, but it really is about bringing the family together with no cell phone coverage (which the girls love... )
lovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Rose View Post
When I say I am heading out to go "Camping," friends and neighbors say, "That is NOT camping." Ok, motor homes and trailers have come a long way with all the comforts of home. So besides the "wheels" how do you NOT camp? I will start:
Ummmm, Hmmmmm, we actually used the outside shower once! Ok, maybe it was just Breezi when she got goose poopies on her neck. :hihi:
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:33 PM   #13

Who says this isn't camping? I am on a camp site, but I do have the following creature comforts:

a/c in tow vehicle
two a/c's in the 5er
refrigerator
hot running water
40" flat screen in living room and 32" in bedroom
180 HD channels
internet
smart phone
gas grill
built in generator when off the grid
three slides
power awning

What about this isn't camping?
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0313_14-04-2011.jpg  

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:08 PM   #14
Site Team

I wish I was there with ya, ED
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:17 PM   #15

Quote:
I know I'm camping, when at night, laying on an open medow and looking up, you have a beautiful view of the milky way, shooting stars, and all the constellations. Can't beat it.
Last time I did this, I was a lad of about 8 or 9 and my brother was 6 or 7. Dad took us down to the creek bank to sleep under the stars. Only had a blanket to sleep on. In the middle of the night, I was wakened by something warm and a pugent odor in my face. Scared me nearly to death. Turned out to be an old range cow that was breathing in my face checking me out. My hollering scared my little brother even more. Dad had enough of us carrying on, so needless to say that ended our night under the stars.
Retired and enjoying new grandson
leeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:11 PM   #16

Quote:
When I say I am heading out to go "Camping," friends and neighbors say, "That is NOT camping." Ok, motor homes and trailers have come a long way with all the comforts of home. So besides the "wheels" how do you NOT camp?

Besides all the creature comforts of my TT, I:

- Start the fire with fire-starters and a propane blow torch.
- Project big-screen movies outside for the kids after sunset.
- Make fru-fru icy drinks for the adults with my Margarator.

I define camping as making a home someplace other than home. So whether it's sleeping bags in tents, or the back of my van, or in the TT, it's camping.
RustyFairmount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyFairmount View Post
Besides all the creature comforts of my TT, I:

- Start the fire with fire-starters and a propane blow torch.
- Project big-screen movies outside for the kids after sunset.
- Make fru-fru icy drinks for the adults with my Margarator.

I define camping as making a home someplace other than home. So whether it's sleeping bags in tents, or the back of my van, or in the TT, it's camping.

Oooops, forgot to mention, the movie was great under the stars, and, thanks for the vitamin C... It was a relaxing, errrr, refreshing icy on that hot summer night. Oh and ummm, I wondered what happened to that fire thingy! Can we have our blow torch back now?
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:33 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
When I say I am heading out to go "Camping," friends and neighbors say, "That is NOT camping."...
I've had that same thing said to me many times and I have a standard reply for it.

I tell them, "Yes, you're right. It isn't camping. It's RVing".

With that said, the topic of discussion usually changes to sex, politics, sports or something else.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:45 PM   #19

I have to laugh , we have 3 kids , the first 2 (now 22 and 20) had to camp with us the old fashion way , a tent ... they have never been out in our trailer , but our nine year old has never ben out in a tent . But now every morning when the auto timer on the Mr Coffee goes off and I get up pour coffee into the mugs , go outside the trailer to sit and tell our youngest of the days before she was born how rough tenting used to be . I miss those days with the older kids but I dont think I want to return to the tent .
kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:20 PM   #20

I too grew up camping with the tents,coleman stoves, laterns,sleeping bags and as kid I loved every minute. I looked forward to those camping trips in the middle of July with the only A|C was opening the tent flaps and letting the wind blow. I also remimber the nights with it raining so hard outside that the tent would fill with water. But camping whether tenting or RVing it's about being with family making memories. So yes I travel with my RV, 3\4ton diesel, fire starter logs, projection TV and my family to make the same memories today as I have from back then. RVing it's a life choice and thank You God to be able to make such a choice, I Love It.