Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-04-2016, 10:15 AM   #101
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
In the last few years JAYCO spent quite a bit of cash, bought the assets of TRAVEL SUPREME ( now the ENTEGRA and new DESIGNER). Had a massive expansion of the MH plant and bought OPEN RANGE as well as the company who did their full body paint. It might have been a situation where they needed an influx of cash to keep things at a good level and possibly make more improvements.
Good points Grumpy. As a matter of fact, the wife and I are looking at an Open Range TT because of the nice floor plan and like Jayco, also has the 2 year warranty.

2013 Jayco Jay Feather X23B
2014 Ford Expedition
Horst Miracle Probes
Barker Power Jack
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 03:48 PM   #102
We're still looking at new Jaycos and just this morning, finally decided to go ahead and buy a new TT. I have read all the posts in this thread, and can't quite figure out why everyone thinks this is such a bad thing... or why it would be good for anyone other than the family which is receiving a big payday. Only time will tell. I think we'll continue looking at the White Hawk while looking at a couple of others. Winnebago is awfully proud of their Ultra Lite (formerly Sunnybrook) TTs... We'll see... Wow, this brought about a lot of negativity, which surprised me...

Jack and Delores, Weatherford, Texas
2016 White Hawk 28DSBH TT, 2014 Ram 4X4 2500 CTD
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 04:30 PM   #103
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
. Wow, this brought about a lot of negativity, which surprised me...
Some people don't like change.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 06:01 PM   #104
Site Team
It is what it is, we can only hope the concerns mentioned are unfounded. Time to move forward............

2004 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0l, 4.10r

2010 Jayco Jayflight 28BHS
Reese Strait Line with Dual Cam
P3 Brk controller
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 08:21 PM   #105
Doubt that happens all that much. While, Jayco will run itself as an independent company, rest assured of 2 things. Jayco will not do any expensive R&D without Thor's management giving their OK, and if the wholly owned subsidiary, Jayco, doesn't continue to throw off the same kind of cash it does now, Senior Thor management will be all over that. Thor will start making changes.

Originally Posted by Arniesports60 View Post
hopefully this part of the Thor buy statement will hold true -

Thor will operate Jayco as an independent company as it does with its other subsidiaries, the release explained, adding that it will be “business as usual” at Jayco as their existing, experienced management team will continue to manage their operations and compete effectively in the RV market, just as they and their family have done for the past 48 years.
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 08:32 PM   #106
Isn't Winniebago independent? That's a fairly large comprehensive RV company.

Originally Posted by roving legrands View Post
Ok so who owns the other 17% mobile suite???
Old 07-04-2016, 08:36 PM   #107
The new financing will come with large strings. The parent isn't going to throw cash at Jayco. Thor will expect a pretty decent ROI fm Jayco. If Thor doesn't get that ROI, Thor will become directly involved in Jayco business.

Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post

I don't think you will see any negatives coming from it, in fact things may get better since their finances will be better.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:16 AM   #108
Originally Posted by McGarrett50 View Post
Thanks Crabman for consolidating the topic. Grumpy, excellent point on Airstream's success since the Thor acquisition.

I posed the question on the Precept owners forum wondering if, IN TIME, Thor may influence Jayco to discontinue their gas Class A line since the Jayco brand is better known for it's C Class, trailers & Entegra brand. Coupled with Thor's other brands that have a wide Class A portfolio, in a consolidated world, does do they really need the Precepts and Alantes?

Now, as a very satisfied Precept owner, I would not like to see this, however......

Lastly, this is a sign of the times. Many family owned businesses on their second or third generations, are looking for an exit strategy (and or additional capital & resources to stay competitive) and with crazy cheap money available (credit lines and private equity), while disappointing, this is not too surprising.

I think it is more that just additional capital & resources. The first generation was the entrepreneur that had the vision and the drive to start the company and worked his/her butt off to make it a success. The second generation most likely grew up working weekends and summers helping mom/dad and living with the fact that the company was another major part of their family. And the company came first...period. The third generation didn't experience the same thing that the second. By the time the third generation came along the company was well established and they didn't have to work nights and weekends and summers. They basically had zero tie to the company. It was just "always there". So when it was their turn to take over they just didn't have the interest as the first and second generation. I read somewhere a few years back that companies that survived family ownership through the third generation was less than 3%.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 04:26 AM   #109
Site Team
Meanwhile........I'm going camping!
2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 06:00 AM   #110

Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Meanwhile........I'm going camping!
I'm with ya!

2013 Jayco Eagle 328 RLTS
2012 Ford F250 6.2L 4x4 CCSB W/Air Lift air bags
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH
2002 Coleman Bayside Elite (traded)
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote