Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-20-2017, 10:22 PM   #1

Thoughts on AARP?

Well, I have been eligible for AARP membership for a few years now. I have heard that AARP is now more of an insurance company than an advocate for retires, which is why I have never joined. However, I have some friends who say that the discounts you can get at restaurants and such still make it worth while.
What are your thoughts?

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:33 PM   #2

They're mostly political, advertisement, and like you said, insurance oriented. I quit paying them 10 years ago and I still get monthly ads from them to join them. So they've become quite an annoyance now more than anything. I never did use any of their discounts for the years I was a member as I don't generally use places that give their discounts.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:09 AM   #3

My $0.02 worth.

I have been a member of AARP for years. Initially I was under the impression that AARP was a “political advocate” group for the elderly, and that may have been the case with its infancy. What I now feel AARP has become is a “door to door” salesman for various insurance companies and promoting “fear tactics” to accomplish that task. There is not a week that goes by that I do not receive mailings telling me how much better my life would be if I purchased life, home, auto, or RV insurance. If AARP would cease the mail outs and spend those funds as an “advocate” for the elder, my elderly life may become better.

Shorty
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:26 AM   #4

X2 on all the comments. The mailings you get when you are not a member are a drop in the bucket to what happens after you join. The final straw was when they came out a few years ago in support of Obammmmmmmma care at the same time it was taking billions from seniors. Kind of made it clear who was signing the checks, the insurance companies.

A few discounts aren't worth the grief. Same thing I found when Camping
World merged with Good Sams. Great deal now all camping world members beome members of good sams and all of a sudden your mail box is stuffed with every kind of insurance you can imagine. Week after week the same promo material. Finally had to send personal email to Ceo of CW to stop the madness. That got me off their solicitation list and all the mailings stopped. I also stopped shopping at C world.

AARP is a waste of $8 or what ever it costs these days.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:35 AM   #5

I was a member Y-E-A-R-S ago when they were the American Association of Retired Persons; now they are just AARP. I never used any of their discounts when I was a member.

If the discount is important to you, just ask if the establishment has an AARP discount. Chances are they will grant the discount without needing to see a membership card. I've done that with AAA.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:42 AM   #6

We have found we use them only for discounts at a few places. Denny's for one offers 15% off where my military or senior citizen only offers 10%. Since we frequent Denny's often, we get our money back!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
We have found we use them only for discounts at a few places. Denny's for one offers 15% off where my military or senior citizen only offers 10%. Since we frequent Denny's often, we get our money back!
5% savings [$1.50] on a $30 bill at Denny's a few dozen times may offset the annual fee, but doesn't offset the extra trash bag you have to set out each week from all the junk mail you will receive. I don't need the $1.50 that much.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:57 AM   #8

We were longtime members, but left for two reasons. One, is they're all about selling everything under the sun, and two, they got on the socialized medicine bandwagon, and spent tons of money lobbying for it. That resulted in 716 billion being taken from Medicare.

We bailed and joined AMAC.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:20 AM   #9
Site Team

It's a personal decision. I would not advocate either way but just do your own research. I did and decided to get out long ago. Only thing we use is their tax prep service and you don't need to be a member because they get a grant from fed gov for every return they prepare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:29 AM   #10

You can pretty much get senior discounts without AARP. I've never been a member but get "tons" of mailings.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:30 AM   #11

They are NOT friends of the elderly. I vote with my dollars at a number of companies. No longer will I support companies that work against my best interests. AARP is one of those companies. I could care less if they waste their money sending me crap, I can just as easily burn it or toss it in the trash. Return all "prepaid" envelopes with a note saying don't send anymore, they pay a premium for each returned. Eventually they will get the message they are wasting $.

Why give power to companies that work against our values?

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
LOL! Yes, that is one of the places my friends go, they say the 15% discount there pays the dues for the year.
Thanks everyone for the responses, it should about like what I expected.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:18 PM   #13

I remember once in booking a rental car that I clicked the AARP link and got an amount. Then I cleared the cache and did it without clicking that Link and got a substantially better amount. Draw your own conclusions on that
Vaneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:20 PM   #14

AARP is basically represents the upper middle class (what little representation they do). I was an AARP member for a few years after I turned 50. I got a few discounts, more than enough to pay the membership fee but, once I hit 55, I was able to get most of them without using AARP. I was livid a few years when AARP lobbied against a bill, causing it to lose, in AZ that would have forced medical insurance companies to allow people to choose their own doctors instead of being restricted to ones in the insurance companies' networks. In had been debating whether to renew my membership when I got a call from wanting to do a survey. That was back when I was still working nights (I'm retired now) and the...they woke me up (I still have issues with telemarketers, survey takers, and politicians stealing my phone service). I told the woman on the other end that I had been debating whether to renew or not and thanked her for giving me the final reason not to renew. That was eight years ago and I do not miss them at all.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:44 AM   #15

I was a member until they came out in favor of ObamaCare. I resigned my new 3 year membership immediately and haven't looked back.

They are a waste in my book and will NEVER get my support again. And I can afford to live without a full mailbox every day.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:53 AM   #16

Have had AARP several years, No issues at all ! ever ......
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:39 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
They are NOT friends of the elderly. I vote with my dollars at a number of companies. No longer will I support companies that work against my best interests. AARP is one of those companies. I could care less if they waste their money sending me crap, I can just as easily burn it or toss it in the trash. Return all "prepaid" envelopes with a note saying don't send anymore, they pay a premium for each returned. Eventually they will get the message they are wasting $.

Why give power to companies that work against our values?

Have never been a member and never will.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:16 AM   #18

Final word from me on this. If you are a joiner and someone who sends the Publishers Clearinghouse notivication [you are in the list of only 10mill finalists]then have at it with AARP. Join one or another and you will place yourself on a dozen mailing lists who will gladly send you copious amounts of junk mail on everything from cheap retirement locations, $19 for military style flashlites, and several shocking new pills to enhance libido and stamina. It is still America and we are free to fall for silly and fake promos and such.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:35 PM   #19

2 cents worth. - If you are not a current member you don't know what is or is not. I use it enough traveling that it is well worth it to me. It has never failed to get me a cheaper price at every hotel chain I have used. I like the free doughnut at Duncan when I buy a coffee.

Johnie and Brenda
Central Illinois
2012 Ram 1500 crew cab 5.7
2012 Jayco 242
jmactootall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 08:58 PM   #20

They are part of the anti gun lobby so they don't get any money from me any more.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aarp