Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-16-2015, 08:51 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Tomb Guard Silences Laughing Crowd.

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 09:07 PM   #2

some people have no couth
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 04:46 AM   #3

This happened a while back. Why even bother showing up there if you aren't going to display the respect and awe that Arlington National Cemetery, and specifically the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier demands? Its not like you stumbled into the cemetery by accident and walked up the hill by the accident.

Shameful. Makes me think that perhaps the US should have compulsory military service for at least 2 years. Perhaps politicians wouldn't be so quick to send troops off to war, perhaps the public wouldn't be so quick to judge the troops, and perhaps we would be a better nation as a result.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 05:40 AM   #4

Spoon I feel that all politicians should be required to first serve a minimum of 4 years in the military before being allowed to run..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:05 AM   #5

I agree. If anything, it would make them understand the sacrifices our men and women in uniform and their families have to endure.
2007 Yamaha Grizzly 400 ATV and Yamaha 2000 watt Genny
Me/retired insurance claims and DW/retired RN.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."-Red Green
dougfir1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:05 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
Spoon I feel that all politicians should be required to first serve a minimum of 4 years in the military before being allowed to run..

2x, and not be allowed to be "CAREER" politicians... 4 or 6 year MAX!! NO lawyers, NO industry election contributions, must have the same insurance plans as the rest of us get...

Just my thoughts,

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:30 AM   #7

The problem is most people who have served in the military would rather work then run for political office.
notaz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 10:46 AM   #8

I am all in for compulsory military service- I was a National Guardsman whose unit was called to federal service during the Korean "police action"- I went, I served and endured the treatment we often received from the "peaceniks" of that period- Unfortunately, it was possible for some to evade the draft if they had the right "pull"- Some things never change, do they? JMHO- DD
Old 05-18-2015, 11:20 AM   #9

Went to Pearl Harbor Memorial with my father-in -law; navigator on Lancasters during II.

I remarked to a young navy launch crew member "How quiet the boat was on the way back from the Memorial.".

He said, "Sir, the boat is always quiet on the way back.".

Dave.
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:39 AM   #10

Let me preface my post with I didn’t serve. I do vote and I don’t plan to run for political office. I appreciate the tact this soldier used in quieting the crowd. Truly a professional who immediately commanded the attention and respect from the crowd as can be heard with the immediate silence.

There are some woefully clueless people in America today. A lot of that is the entitled attitude imparted by how they are raised. My wife and I aren't raising entitled kids. Opportunities may come easier for them because what I have accomplished, as could be same for many of our kids, but mine are NOT guaranteed anything and will reap what they sow.

Compulsory service sounds like a good idea, that is until I think about my kids being forced to serve.

We live is a military town, my wife teaches school on the military base, we have a much better than average understanding of military life. We see firsthand daily what a sacrifice families make when parents serve and respect them for it immensely. However I don't think a sacrifice that like that should be forced.

I was born as the Vietnam War was ending, and many of you likely have a much better perspective and understanding of that time in our history since you live it. However it’s my opinion a lot of the blow back in America was due to the draft and forced service. Although we still see protests, which is one of freedoms that makes America great, I don't see the blatant disrespect for soldiers today as I understood existed in the sixties and early seventies. I am not aware of people spitting on soldiers when they return from deployment. Chanting baby killer. In fact in my town they are celebrated as heroes up return.

In my opinion this is because we currently have an all-volunteer military. Folks want to be there. They accept the risk and sacrifice. Some even pay the ultimate price which is always sad and regretful -- but again they volunteered.

Maybe I a wrong, and need to do a bit more research of our history -- but isn’t what made the "Greatest Generation" the greatest the fact that they flocked to service because they believed in the cause. That would never have happened if folks didn't want to serve. The sacrifices made at home are because collectively the county believed in the cause. After 9/11 we had a very similar out pouring of patriotism – why, folks believed in the cause. It’s hard for American’s, or anyone else, to support something they don’t believe it.

Now I agree the government has many issues. I don't know the percentages, but the number of Politicians who served is significant. It’s my opinion that the issues we have today generally revolve around the Governments attempt to redistribute resources. This exacerbates the “entitlement attitude” the preservers in America today.

Sorry for the rant, and to be clear, I would support the notion that to be the Commander in Chief there should be some requirement of prior military experience. Right now all it takes is to be 35, born in America and have access to lots of money.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
Let me preface my post with I didn’t serve. I do vote and I don’t plan to run for political office. I appreciate the tact this soldier used in quieting the crowd. Truly a professional who immediately commanded the attention and respect from the crowd as can be heard with the immediate silence.

There are some woefully clueless people in America today. A lot of that is the entitled attitude imparted by how they are raised. My wife and I aren't raising entitled kids. Opportunities may come easier for them because what I have accomplished, as could be same for many of our kids, but mine are NOT guaranteed anything and will reap what they sow.

Compulsory service sounds like a good idea, that is until I think about my kids being forced to serve.

We live is a military town, my wife teaches school on the military base, we have a much better than average understanding of military life. We see firsthand daily what a sacrifice families make when parents serve and respect them for it immensely. However I don't think a sacrifice that like that should be forced.

I was born as the Vietnam War was ending, and many of you likely have a much better perspective and understanding of that time in our history since you live it. However it’s my opinion a lot of the blow back in America was due to the draft and forced service. Although we still see protests, which is one of freedoms that makes America great, I don't see the blatant disrespect for soldiers today as I understood existed in the sixties and early seventies. I am not aware of people spitting on soldiers when they return from deployment. Chanting baby killer. In fact in my town they are celebrated as heroes up return.

In my opinion this is because we currently have an all-volunteer military. Folks want to be there. They accept the risk and sacrifice. Some even pay the ultimate price which is always sad and regretful -- but again they volunteered.

Maybe I a wrong, and need to do a bit more research of our history -- but isn’t what made the "Greatest Generation" the greatest the fact that they flocked to service because they believed in the cause. That would never have happened if folks didn't want to serve. The sacrifices made at home are because collectively the county believed in the cause. After 9/11 we had a very similar out pouring of patriotism – why, folks believed in the cause. It’s hard for American’s, or anyone else, to support something they don’t believe it.

Now I agree the government has many issues. I don't know the percentages, but the number of Politicians who served is significant. It’s my opinion that the issues we have today generally revolve around the Governments attempt to redistribute resources. This exacerbates the “entitlement attitude” the preservers in America today.

Sorry for the rant, and to be clear, I would support the notion that to be the Commander in Chief there should be some requirement of prior military experience. Right now all it takes is to be 35, born in America and have access to lots of money.
As one who has served I completely agree with you. What makes our military so great is because thouse who serve want to serve.
notaz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:10 PM   #12

First off I did serve. USAF. I took my son there a few years ago so maybe he could see and learn something. However that day he was very much being a 12 year old rebellious teenager. I have never been so mad in my life for the way he acted. I ended up dragging him out of the changing of the guard Ceremony. Hopefully that night I got through his thick skull. After some serious tongue lashing and a close brush with my belt (I didn't as I was afraid I'd really hurt him) I sat him down and told him in detail about his grandfather's and great grandfathers. He had no idea his crazy and funny granddaddy Joe used to jump out of airplanes. My dad used to operate ICBM'S and served on the Czech border facing Red Army soldiers everyday And one of his great grandfather's liberated Paris and crossed the Rhine. He has No memory of it but we are a military family. Since then he has done several class projects on his family's service back to WWI. So in a way the day was successful. He can't serve due to medical conditions but now as a 17 year old he can appreciate the service and sacrifice.
tugboat95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post

I agree. Compulsory service is not good. We have a strong well led we'll trained and motivated military. That motivation is key in any military action. Regardless of why every soldier wants to be there. Nobody is pulling time and just getting through it. I do feel some people can benefit from either military or community service but I also feel strongly an unmotivated forced drafted would degrade our capabilities.
tugboat95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
Wholeheartedly agree! If they really want to "serve" our country they need to prove it.
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 04:52 AM   #15

I served in the USCG for four years. The diverse missions of that service attracted me. I agree that our military branches should be all volunteer.

I have always felt there should be two years of compulsory service to the country between the ages of 18 and 25. It need not be military service - the individual could choose.

This would cost a lot. I would gladly pay the increase in taxes. In my opinion, the benefit to the individuals and the country would be invaluable.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:24 AM   #16

And if politicians have children, if they send our country off to war, their kids should have to go also if they are of age!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote