Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-03-2013, 07:32 AM   #1

Travel or semi permanent

Was talking with a BIL last nite,he was trying to talk us into getting a seasonal site in his park. I want nothing to do with the idea. To each his own I guess, I just don't get the seasonal thing. I guess maybe it has something to do with your normal living situation. He lives in a cookie cutter development so it is possible that he needs something to escape to. I live in a very rural area and have total privacy, any campground or RV resort is city to me.
I try to avoid campgrounds with a majority seasonal population, as on several occaisions I have been made to feel as if I was an unwelcome intruder in these parks.
What category do you fall into and if seasonal how do you feel about short timers moving in amongst you?
Pitch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:07 AM   #2

Travel or semi permanent

I have a seasonal site on Lake Livingston. It is part of the marina and it is filled with nothing but fishermen and women. Some keep their campers set up all year there. We move ours in early april and take the camper out in late august. We always feel welcome and have had no problems with things missing. The campers that come and go like us just reserve the sites for the next year when we leave. Spot is waiting fo us when we are ready. I really like having the camper set up i have a programable thermostat set to come on friday morning and the camper is cold when we get there. Down the road there is another campground that has seasonal sites but alot of year round living also we didn't feel as welcome there as we do in iur current.
Robert
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:11 AM   #3

I'm in the build my own retreat on my private land camp. We like a variety, but also like some consistancy/simplicity so we are looking at available property in the mountains near by.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:49 AM   #4

Very thought provoking question! We got into camping about 4 years ago. Two things have frustrated me---my husband's work schedule and availability of campsites. DH is in IT (computers) and seems works 24/7--either on call or has jobs to run on weekends--so finding a time was a pain! Add into the mix wanting to stay close (because of the above) and it was a major deal to get a campsite---they fill up soooooo fast!

So a couple months ago we heard of a permanent site resort being completely renovated 40 miles north of us and taking deposits. We rushed out there and picked out our site (because of the DREADFUL spring weather they are still working to get it completed.). There were others with the same frustration at finding a place to camp around here.

For us, at this time, this is our best option. Being a teacher, I can spend my summer days there, and after checking Internet reception, we figure DH can come on weekends and work from there (fun fun)! It's on the Missouri River with a marina, and modern amenities like pool, hot tub, full hook-ups, etc.

I would like to travel and see new places, but crowded sight-seeing is not my thing. Would definitely like to be able to boondock and Clubhouse's personal retreat sounds wonderful!

HERE'S the FLY in the OINTMENT! *I was on the phone with Gail in the Jayco offices this week (discussing my camper hail damage). And mentioned our plans to her. She advised me that sitting for long periods of time is NOT GOOD for the campers. They are meant to roll and move, and if they remain stationary, there is more possibility of tire rot and problems with the undercarriage. She said she was sorry to give me more things to think about, but that I should keep it in mind.

Guess we'll back up and down every so often.

Replacement: 2013 Winnebago Minnie 2101FBS

2010 Honda Ridgeline
1988 Perris Pacer "Bean" (molded fiberglass camper)
PugMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitch1 View Post
Was talking with a BIL last nite,he was trying to talk us into getting a seasonal site in his park. I want nothing to do with the idea. To each his own I guess, I just don't get the seasonal thing. I guess maybe it has something to do with your normal living situation. He lives in a cookie cutter development so it is possible that he needs something to escape to. I live in a very rural area and have total privacy, any campground or RV resort is city to me.
I try to avoid campgrounds with a majority seasonal population, as on several occaisions I have been made to feel as if I was an unwelcome intruder in these parks.
What category do you fall into and if seasonal how do you feel about short timers moving in amongst you?
I have the same attitude as you.
No moss on this rolling stone!
Old 05-03-2013, 10:28 PM   #6

We have both. My grandparents had a travel trailer and another trailer permanently parked at a site. It is the best of both worlds. Once grandpa "retired" from pulling a travel trailer they still had the one parked. We all (15) gather there as a family every year and we all go at different times during the year. It works for us and we love it. Several of us have our own travel trailers but it is nice to just go to the family site and enjoy what it has to offer.

Number of Nights Camping - 2013 26RKS
2014 - 18, 2013 - 11, 2012 - 11
Number of Nights Camping - 2012 17Z
2012 - 10, 2011 - 13

Countless nights as kids and young adults in a pop-up, hardside TT and several tents!
campingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:10 AM   #7

We have been fulltime for about a year and a half now and if we stay too long in one location or park, we get "Hitch Itch" !!!

That is why we bought a 5th Wheel that is made for traveling and not a park model.

Sure do not want the 5er tires taking root at any one location, we like to a little adventure and seeing different locations.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:47 PM   #8

I love to travel, but with the price of fuel, campground fees, college cost, etc. I can't afford to travel too often. So I have been working on making a campsite on a lot we own about 50 miles from home. I had electric installed last March, ran 700 foot of water line from a spring, dump my tanks into a blue tote and drag it uphill to the outhouse to dump it. It is a work in progress. I miss the traveling, but it is still camping!

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:32 AM   #9

We have only camped once in a CG dominated by seasonal campers. This CG was near Appomattox, VA. We were made to feel very welcome as we walked around the place with our dog, and really enjoyed both the friendly attitude and seeing all the neat things folks have done to their sites. Guess there are still some folks who really don't care whether you are a short timer just passing through, or someone with a deck around your camper.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:09 AM   #10

My wife wants to do seasonal, we just haven't found a site we like yet. It would have to be close to home, approx two hours or less and a decent sized site. We find a lot of places that are only slightly bigger than our trailer with slide and awning out.

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:19 AM   #11

We love seasonal camping. Being we are both young and live on long island we don’t have a need to own a truck big enough to pull the camper just yet. We also have about six campers in our "family" close by and are friendly with the other campers around us. Its nice to pull up and see who is there or wait for more cars to pull in! And they BEST part is they sleep in their OWN campers!! As for "outsiders" we don’t mind them as long as they don’t mind us! We camp a little different where we are. We don’t complain about noise, fires, music, up to a point. There is a "no rules but don’t make me make rules" attitude which works for all of us. We can’t stand going to a campground and they make u put the fire out at 10pm and have a no noise policy?!?!?! We don’t get up to the camper on a Friday night till 9-10.Its a private "Irish" campground so you know the beer is flowing ! It’s also nice to have a golf cart and quads to play with.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:59 PM   #12

RVs have wheels on them for a reason. I like to keep them turning.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:37 PM   #13

We have two seasonal sites. A park in AZ where we spend at least 6 mo a year and a lot near our home where we spend about 5 mo. The unaccounted month is travel with the trailer.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote