Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-04-2016, 06:50 PM   #3821

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Bill; LT's are a bit stiffer than the P rated tires. I am still riding the original P rated and are happy with the performance. It works for my setup. I bought from an another RAM owner a brand new set on original rims with spare. So am also ready for the next winter.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:58 PM   #3822

discovered power cable coming through floor was loose

I pulled out my panel on my new SLX195rb to look for places to seal out mice and bugs based on past experience. I found the power cable coming through the floor had a tie down attached but the tie down was not secured to anything. I explored beneath and found over a foot of cable drooping under the floor.
I secured it and tomorrow will force aluminum screen wire into the pipe and seal it with foam. Found several other partially foam holes in the bottom clear through the floor. Very sloppy job foaming these holes. Must have been a bad day at the factory.
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:01 PM   #3823

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1959 View Post
what do you mean by that ? Rougher ride ?
The ride is a little rougher, but I expected that and it's no problem. The truck just doesn't want to track straight down the road. It's so bad it feels dangerous. I don't think alignment is a problem, since the previous tires wore evenly and tracked straight down the road. With these tires, when I get on the interstate I'm white knuckling all the way. With the P tires, only passing semi's would give me a little sway. With the new tires, passing cars bounce me around. Tomorrow I'm going to set the pressure at the recommended, label pressures, even though everything I've read said that LT tires need to be aired up more in order to reach the needed carrying capacity.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 04:52 AM   #3824

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
I'm 3/4 done towing it for the day. Started at Cape Disappointment State Park, and now I'm at the northbound Toutle River rest area. In a bit I'll continue on up to the Scatter Creek Rest Area and spend the night there.

My Jayco is towing like crap with the new LT tires I got on my truck. I've tried higher pressures (recommended by some), and just dropped the pressures down. If it doesn't tow well, I'm going to take Discount Tire up on their offer to take back any tire for any reason, and if they take them, just go back to the "P" rated tires. The first two sets towed my TT beautifully. Why in the heck did I "upgrade"?!!!
I noticed you have "upgrade" in quotes, for a reason I'm sure.

I think the word upgrade is overused. Modification might be a better word because a lot of the changes made are upgrades only in the eyes of the guy that did it. All are modifications, but some are definitely NOT an upgrade.

Most of us have made "upgrades" that weren't.

Good luck with your tires and have a safe trip. Sounds like you are having a good time.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:47 AM   #3825

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
I noticed you have "upgrade" in quotes, for a reason I'm sure.

I think the word upgrade is overused. Modification might be a better word because a lot of the changes made are upgrades only in the eyes of the guy that did it. All are modifications, but some are definitely NOT an upgrade.

Most of us have made "upgrades" that weren't.

Good luck with your tires and have a safe trip. Sounds like you are having a good time.
Thanks Ed. Upgrade or mod, whatever it was I think I made a bad choice. I assumed that changing to LT tires would provide a more stable towing experience (thought stiffer sidewalls would give me better side-to-side stability). Maybe the all-around coil spring suspension is tuned to perform best with flimsy-sidewalled "P" rated tires.

I started driving the interstate at 4AM this morning, with the fronts at 40psi / rears at 46psi. Door sticker stipulates 40/44, so I was close to specs. Still had some side sway, but it was a little better. Going 60mph, a pickup truck passed me and tossed me around as if it were a big rig blowing by.

My TT is loaded the same as always, and never had a problem with the P tires when loaded that way.

I will give Eric at Discount Tire a call today and see if he has any suggestions, and if not, if he'll honor their promise of, "If you are not satisfied with your purchase at any time, bring it back and we will make it right.".
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoReturnPolicy.do

Slept last night at the Chehalis Walmart, and drove 20 miles up the road to the Scatter Creek rest area. Filled with fresh water at the FREE dump station here, and will drive another 20 miles in a little while to Capital State Forest for a few days of FREE camping (with a WA state Discover pass).

Maybe the weight of the water in the tanks will help stabilize the ride. Let's hope so.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:55 AM   #3826

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
Thanks Ed. Upgrade or mod, whatever it was I think I made a bad choice. I assumed that changing to LT tires would provide a more stable towing experience (thought stiffer sidewalls would give me better side-to-side stability). Maybe the all-around coil spring suspension is tuned to perform best with flimsy-sidewalled "P" rated tires.

I started driving the interstate at 4AM this morning, with the fronts at 40psi / rears at 46psi. Door sticker stipulates 40/44, so I was close to specs. Still had some side sway, but it was a little better. Going 60mph, a pickup truck passed me and tossed me around as if it were a big rig blowing by.

My TT is loaded the same as always, and never had a problem with the P tires when loaded that way.

I will give Eric at Discount Tire a call today and see if he has any suggestions, and if not, if he'll honor their promise of, "If you are not satisfied with your purchase at any time, bring it back and we will make it right.".
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoReturnPolicy.do

Slept last night at the Chehalis Walmart, and drove 20 miles up the road to the Scatter Creek rest area. Filled with fresh water at the FREE dump station here, and will drive another 20 miles in a little while to Capital State Forest for a few days of FREE camping (with a WA state Discover pass).

Maybe the weight of the water in the tanks will help stabilize the ride. Let's hope so.
My experience with new Michelin LT tires doesn't sound as bad as yours but similar. After 1000 miles or so things smoothed out and the ride was great. Not sure what brand you bought but other Michelin LT users have said the same. Is that what the DT rep told you?
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:09 AM   #3827

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
My experience with new Michelin LT tires doesn't sound as bad as yours but similar. After 1000 miles or so things smoothed out and the ride was great. Not sure what brand you bought but other Michelin LT users have said the same. Is that what the DT rep told you?
Actually, I didn't get Michelins. I have new Cooper Discoverer HTP tires. Maybe a little more traveling will break the tires in so they ride better. I guess this subject should be in the TV thread.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...e.jsp?techid=5
Old 08-05-2016, 07:21 AM   #3828

Its really strange that you are getting more sway and unstability with the LT tires at least you have the option to return with the p

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 08:58 AM   #3829

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1959 View Post
Its really strange that you are getting more sway and unstability with the LT tires at least you have the option to return with the p
I agree. I just spoke with my man at Discount Tire and explained my problem. He said "sure, you can return them", so I had him order a new set of Goodyear SR-A "P" rated tires that I'll switch to, with full credit on the Coopers toward the new set. Their policy is that tires can be returned within 30 days. I'm happy.
Old 08-06-2016, 08:07 AM   #3830

Added some convenience items to my new White Hawk 27DSRL. Brushed stainless Command items that work with the 2017 interior.

New key rack...hated the wire hooks.

Bathroom towel bar.

Pot holder hooks.

Callelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 06:16 PM   #3831

Straightened up the outside storage compartments and re-painted the battery slide out tray. Using magnets on the walls of my tool storage compartment so I do dig through my tool storage bag for frequently used items like the tire gauge.
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 01:25 PM   #3832

Finally ordered my new WDH. last weekend. It should be here in a day or two. After much deliberation, I went with the Blue Ox SwayPro. I will likely have to trade out the shank though, so it will still be a while before I can get it hooked up and try it out. I can't wait, this has been a long time coming!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 05:07 PM   #3833

I dropped my trailer off at the Jayco factory to have a stress crack repaired.

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2012 321RLTS Eagle (sold)
2011 F350 CC SB
dzwiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 05:19 PM   #3834
BCK

Nothing!

Got back yesterday from 4 nights camping. Have had 34 nights and 9 camping trips in the new tt and this is the first trip where there isn't some kind of repair to do before the next outing.
BCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:06 AM   #3835

I wasn't planning on doing anything, but my black tank burped, soooooo dump time.

Part of the fun we all have, but worth it.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:45 AM   #3836

Cleared the fridge and pantry of the last of the July 4 weekend leftovers.

- 1/2 a loaf of moldy bread
- Dried out cold cuts
- 'science experiment' ready to invade the earth growing in the veggie drawer.

All in the trash now.

Fridge cavity washed then sanitized.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:23 AM   #3837

Moved it to Kanaskat-Palmer state park for 4 days.
Old 08-09-2016, 07:32 AM   #3838

My dealer starts prepping my new TT today. Maybe that kind of counts?
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:45 AM   #3839

My last repair was replacing the bathroom skylight. This one was just a little easier, but should be extremely useful. I just have to figure out where to put the outdoor transmitter.
Attached Thumbnails
13702268_1320478904632908_334580736_o.jpg  
Old 08-09-2016, 08:51 PM   #3840

Replaced my converter while camping this week. The squeal from the converter that was going bad was driving me crazy. I leaned that an easy way to determine if that noise is he converter is to connect a battery charger to the RV batteries and see if the squeal goes away while connected. Also, if turning on several lights stops the squeal but turning all battery items in the RV makes the squeal the loudest... then it's probably the converter starting to go bad. It was a lot easier to replace the converter than I expected.
newbold1 is offline   Reply With Quote