Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-19-2016, 01:30 PM   #3251

Battery Locks

Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Locks.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	22764 New battery locks replace straps and fit like a glove!

Old 03-19-2016, 02:04 PM   #3252

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimFan View Post
Attachment 22764 New battery locks replace straps and fit like a glove!
Looks good, but also looks like a pair of bolt cutters would make short work of the locks. Have you considered using these?

SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 02:37 PM   #3253

Bought this set at Costco today for the 5er...only $25.00. I thought it was a good deal.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1481.jpg  
'16 North Point 377BHRL (current and hopefully last)
Bookemdanno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 08:44 PM   #3254

Finished loading it and took it for a spin to get an updated scale weight as I added a second battery over the winter. Everything looks good - right at 12% tongue weight which worked well for me last season. Did the 40 mile loop afterwards to check on the repacked bearings and give the new Infrared digital thermometer try. All is in order for the first longer (at least for us) trip of the season in a couple weeks - 9 days to Lake Mead/Valley of Fire in southern Nevada...
Old 03-19-2016, 09:03 PM   #3255

Pulled my new Honda EU2000i out of the box and ran it hard for a half hour to start getting it broke in. Pulled the air filter cover off to make sure the elements were placed properly and oiled. I definitely want to buy an hour meter for this one so I can accurately monitor run time. With these generators, the only "time ran" indicator is the flashing green light on start up. Once it hits 5 flashes (denoting 500 hours), there's no way of knowing how long it's ran. My old one has at least 5000 hours on it, to the best of my reckoning.

I'll change out the initial oil fill in my new one after the first tank of gas runs out. Not sure if I should switch to synthetic oil with the motor so new, though. Any opinions about this?
Old 03-19-2016, 09:13 PM   #3256

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Today the 2012 198RD left with the new owners after setting up the Husky WDH with sway control. It left with squeaky springs. Glad I am back to Torflex Axles a nice quiet ride. VolksWagen used them for the first time on the VW Beetle in the 40's.
In Europe they use Torflex on all Travel and Utility Trailers. Seems the North American RV industry are lagging behind. Leaf springs are noisy but cheap to make and have to much play in them.
Chevy had in the 70's coil springs in the 1/2 ton trucks (nice soft ride) then went back to leaf springs. Dodge had leaf springs in their 1/2 ton and went to coil springs (don't know when?) very smart move.
But anyway "I love my Torflex Axles" a smooth ride and low profile Travel Trailer.
Sway is a lot less with low profile Travel Trailers.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power

ALJO 'Forever Young @ Heart' provide on their travels Music Entertainment to Senior Care Homes
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 11:02 PM   #3257

What I did to my 23mds

Picked up our trailer 3 weeks ago. Last weekend I re-installed our Pro-Pride hitch the dealers techs installed wrong (yolk support upside down) and then adjusted it because they never even went there. I must say they volunteered to do this at no charge, just wish they would have consulted the installation manual I provided. But moving on.... today I converted my trailer from 1 12v deep cycle battery to 2 6v golf cart batteries. Conversion will allow us to boondock many more days before firing off the old generator. Next project will be a hitch on the rear to support our bicycles. Happy trails everyone!!!
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 06:11 AM   #3258
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
Pulled my new Honda EU2000i out of the box and ran it hard for a half hour to start getting it broke in. Pulled the air filter cover off to make sure the elements were placed properly and oiled. I definitely want to buy an hour meter for this one so I can accurately monitor run time. With these generators, the only "time ran" indicator is the flashing green light on start up. Once it hits 5 flashes (denoting 500 hours), there's no way of knowing how long it's ran. My old one has at least 5000 hours on it, to the best of my reckoning.

I'll change out the initial oil fill in my new one after the first tank of gas runs out. Not sure if I should switch to synthetic oil with the motor so new, though. Any opinions about this?

When I bought mine the Honda tech told me that it holds up better with synthetic oil. It's not much difference in cost at the small quantity needed for a change.
Still humming along for 10 years.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:59 AM   #3259

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
When I bought mine the Honda tech told me that it holds up better with synthetic oil. It's not much difference in cost at the small quantity needed for a change.
Still humming along for 10 years.
Thanks Norty. When I checked on the Honda website,
Honda Power Equipment FAQ,
it states:
Quote:
Can I use synthetic oil in my Honda equipment?
"Honda engines are developed, tested and certified with petroleum based motor oils as a lubricant. Any motor oil used in our engines must meet or exceed all oil requirements as stated in the owners manual to include the recommended oil change intervals."
Not a yes or no answer, but when you look in the Owner's Manual for the generator you see,
Quote:
Use 4-stroke motor oil that meets
or exceeds the requirements for
API service classification SJ or
later (or equivalent). Always check
the API SERVICE label on the oil
container to be sure it includes
the letter SJ or later (or
equivalent).
So technically, I'd say that since synthetic oil definitely meets or exceeds the service classification required, it's fine to use.

I know I overthink things at times, but it keeps my mind occupied. LOL

I'm even checking for proper break-in procedures!
Old 03-20-2016, 11:07 AM   #3260

I jacked up each tire and checked the brake adjustment on our new trailer. There was only one that was slightly loose that needed to be adjusted.

I'm still stumped why I need to set the brake controller gain to 10 to get good trailer stopping power.

CaptRon53 is offline   Reply With Quote