Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-04-2016, 07:50 PM   #3821
Senior Member
 
ALJO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Sparwood, BC
Posts: 937
Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Bill; LT's are a bit stiffer than the P rated tires. I am still riding the original P rated and are happy with the performance. It works for my setup. I bought from an another RAM owner a brand new set on original rims with spare. So am also ready for the next winter.
__________________

__________________
2014 Ram 1500 CrewCab 4x4 5.7 Hemi 3.92 Rear and Air Lift 1000
2005 Jayco Jay Feather LGT - 29Y GVWR-6500 lbs.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power

ALJO 'Forever Young @ Heart' provide on their travels Music Entertainment to Senior Care Homes
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:58 PM   #3822
Member
 
RogerR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Mapleton
Posts: 49
discovered power cable coming through floor was loose

I pulled out my panel on my new SLX195rb to look for places to seal out mice and bugs based on past experience. I found the power cable coming through the floor had a tie down attached but the tie down was not secured to anything. I explored beneath and found over a foot of cable drooping under the floor.
I secured it and tomorrow will force aluminum screen wire into the pipe and seal it with foam. Found several other partially foam holes in the bottom clear through the floor. Very sloppy job foaming these holes. Must have been a bad day at the factory.
__________________

RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:01 PM   #3823
Senior Member
 
SmokerBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: PNW
Posts: 2,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1959 View Post
what do you mean by that ? Rougher ride ?
The ride is a little rougher, but I expected that and it's no problem. The truck just doesn't want to track straight down the road. It's so bad it feels dangerous. I don't think alignment is a problem, since the previous tires wore evenly and tracked straight down the road. With these tires, when I get on the interstate I'm white knuckling all the way. With the P tires, only passing semi's would give me a little sway. With the new tires, passing cars bounce me around. Tomorrow I'm going to set the pressure at the recommended, label pressures, even though everything I've read said that LT tires need to be aired up more in order to reach the needed carrying capacity.
__________________
Bill
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab
2011 Jay Flight 26BH
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:52 AM   #3824
Senior Member
 
edatlanta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Maplesville, AL - Home Base
Posts: 2,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
I'm 3/4 done towing it for the day. Started at Cape Disappointment State Park, and now I'm at the northbound Toutle River rest area. In a bit I'll continue on up to the Scatter Creek Rest Area and spend the night there.

My Jayco is towing like crap with the new LT tires I got on my truck. I've tried higher pressures (recommended by some), and just dropped the pressures down. If it doesn't tow well, I'm going to take Discount Tire up on their offer to take back any tire for any reason, and if they take them, just go back to the "P" rated tires. The first two sets towed my TT beautifully. Why in the heck did I "upgrade"?!!!
I noticed you have "upgrade" in quotes, for a reason I'm sure.

I think the word upgrade is overused. Modification might be a better word because a lot of the changes made are upgrades only in the eyes of the guy that did it. All are modifications, but some are definitely NOT an upgrade.

Most of us have made "upgrades" that weren't.

Good luck with your tires and have a safe trip. Sounds like you are having a good time.
__________________
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:47 AM   #3825
Senior Member
 
SmokerBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: PNW
Posts: 2,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
I noticed you have "upgrade" in quotes, for a reason I'm sure.

I think the word upgrade is overused. Modification might be a better word because a lot of the changes made are upgrades only in the eyes of the guy that did it. All are modifications, but some are definitely NOT an upgrade.

Most of us have made "upgrades" that weren't.

Good luck with your tires and have a safe trip. Sounds like you are having a good time.
Thanks Ed. Upgrade or mod, whatever it was I think I made a bad choice. I assumed that changing to LT tires would provide a more stable towing experience (thought stiffer sidewalls would give me better side-to-side stability). Maybe the all-around coil spring suspension is tuned to perform best with flimsy-sidewalled "P" rated tires.

I started driving the interstate at 4AM this morning, with the fronts at 40psi / rears at 46psi. Door sticker stipulates 40/44, so I was close to specs. Still had some side sway, but it was a little better. Going 60mph, a pickup truck passed me and tossed me around as if it were a big rig blowing by.

My TT is loaded the same as always, and never had a problem with the P tires when loaded that way.

I will give Eric at Discount Tire a call today and see if he has any suggestions, and if not, if he'll honor their promise of, "If you are not satisfied with your purchase at any time, bring it back and we will make it right.".
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoReturnPolicy.do

Slept last night at the Chehalis Walmart, and drove 20 miles up the road to the Scatter Creek rest area. Filled with fresh water at the FREE dump station here, and will drive another 20 miles in a little while to Capital State Forest for a few days of FREE camping (with a WA state Discover pass).

Maybe the weight of the water in the tanks will help stabilize the ride. Let's hope so.
__________________
Bill
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab
2011 Jay Flight 26BH
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:55 AM   #3826
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Henry
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
Thanks Ed. Upgrade or mod, whatever it was I think I made a bad choice. I assumed that changing to LT tires would provide a more stable towing experience (thought stiffer sidewalls would give me better side-to-side stability). Maybe the all-around coil spring suspension is tuned to perform best with flimsy-sidewalled "P" rated tires.

I started driving the interstate at 4AM this morning, with the fronts at 40psi / rears at 46psi. Door sticker stipulates 40/44, so I was close to specs. Still had some side sway, but it was a little better. Going 60mph, a pickup truck passed me and tossed me around as if it were a big rig blowing by.

My TT is loaded the same as always, and never had a problem with the P tires when loaded that way.

I will give Eric at Discount Tire a call today and see if he has any suggestions, and if not, if he'll honor their promise of, "If you are not satisfied with your purchase at any time, bring it back and we will make it right.".
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoReturnPolicy.do

Slept last night at the Chehalis Walmart, and drove 20 miles up the road to the Scatter Creek rest area. Filled with fresh water at the FREE dump station here, and will drive another 20 miles in a little while to Capital State Forest for a few days of FREE camping (with a WA state Discover pass).

Maybe the weight of the water in the tanks will help stabilize the ride. Let's hope so.
My experience with new Michelin LT tires doesn't sound as bad as yours but similar. After 1000 miles or so things smoothed out and the ride was great. Not sure what brand you bought but other Michelin LT users have said the same. Is that what the DT rep told you?
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 08:09 AM   #3827
Senior Member
 
SmokerBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: PNW
Posts: 2,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
My experience with new Michelin LT tires doesn't sound as bad as yours but similar. After 1000 miles or so things smoothed out and the ride was great. Not sure what brand you bought but other Michelin LT users have said the same. Is that what the DT rep told you?
Actually, I didn't get Michelins. I have new Cooper Discoverer HTP tires. Maybe a little more traveling will break the tires in so they ride better. I guess this subject should be in the TV thread.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...e.jsp?techid=5
__________________
Bill
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab
2011 Jay Flight 26BH
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 08:21 AM   #3828
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: montreal
Posts: 494
Its really strange that you are getting more sway and unstability with the LT tires at least you have the option to return with the p
__________________
Jayco Whitehawk 24RBS 2014

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:58 AM   #3829
Senior Member
 
SmokerBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: PNW
Posts: 2,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1959 View Post
Its really strange that you are getting more sway and unstability with the LT tires at least you have the option to return with the p
I agree. I just spoke with my man at Discount Tire and explained my problem. He said "sure, you can return them", so I had him order a new set of Goodyear SR-A "P" rated tires that I'll switch to, with full credit on the Coopers toward the new set. Their policy is that tires can be returned within 30 days. I'm happy.
__________________
Bill
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab
2011 Jay Flight 26BH
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:07 AM   #3830
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Boise
Posts: 16
Added some convenience items to my new White Hawk 27DSRL. Brushed stainless Command items that work with the 2017 interior.

New key rack...hated the wire hooks.



Bathroom towel bar.



Pot holder hooks.

__________________

Callelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.