Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-31-2021, 08:59 PM   #8801

I have a 28BHBE. Going to need to replace my battery this spring. I would like to put in 2 group 27 12 volt batteries in parallel to increase the Amp Hour capacity. It don't look like I can fit 2 group 27 batteries in the battery tray behind the propane tanks.
Has anyone done this? How did you mount your batteries?

Thanks

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 10:29 PM   #8802

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
I have a 28BHBE. Going to need to replace my battery this spring. I would like to put in 2 group 27 12 volt batteries in parallel to increase the Amp Hour capacity. It don't look like I can fit 2 group 27 batteries in the battery tray behind the propane tanks.
Has anyone done this? How did you mount your batteries?

Thanks
Not sure about the size of the battery tray on your rig but I did that on our previous X23B with no issues.

If you're going to swap out batteries to increase the size of your battery bank, why not consider switching to a pair of 6 volt golf cart batteries wired in series? You'll get a better battery bank with batteries that can take the abuse of boon dock camping better. A group 27 battery is rated for 175 minutes at 25 amp draw. Golf cart battery I'm using (if we use the same 25 amp draw) is rated for 360 minutes at 25 amp draw.

I just did this on my rig. I have all the part numbers for the batteries with the highest amp/hr rate, battery boxes and the longer ground cable from Napa auto parts if you want them. The 6 volt units are a little taller and weigh a bit more but the foot print is the same.
2021 Keystone Cougar 27SABWE
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 11:46 PM   #8803

Sad Day

Took our 5th wheel to the dealership with a list of 13 warranty items including the infamous sidewall crack, possible bent axle/frame, the sagging front overhang trim (fixed with longer screws once at dealer, then even longer screws at factory, now sagging again.) It's been welded and screwed, and had an axle replaced and on and on.
We still love it. The most recent 2.5 month trip we took, we parked it in our back yard and didn't move back into the big house for 3 days.

We cleaned it up thoroughly inside and out for the visit to the dealership. We have no idea when we might see it again, if it will be full of rodents when we do, if they will be able to fix it at all. They already told us they can't fix the sidewall crack, but Jayco required us to take it to the dealer for diagnosis anyway.
So- not a happy camping day at our house. Tried everything we could to avoid the dealership, but no dice. Warranty expires next month, and had to give in and get these things evaluated. Met people in the waiting room with that same feeling of dread we have. I plan to jump through all hoops get this thing fixed right, and also continue to try to get Jayco to cut their losses on this, and buy us out of this unit. If that happened (fat chance) we would get the exact same model with the same options- like I said, we love it anyway.
Old 04-01-2021, 06:14 AM   #8804

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit12 View Post
Not sure about the size of the battery tray on your rig but I did that on our previous X23B with no issues.

If you're going to swap out batteries to increase the size of your battery bank, why not consider switching to a pair of 6 volt golf cart batteries wired in series? You'll get a better battery bank with batteries that can take the abuse of boon dock camping better. A group 27 battery is rated for 175 minutes at 25 amp draw. Golf cart battery I'm using (if we use the same 25 amp draw) is rated for 360 minutes at 25 amp draw.

I just did this on my rig. I have all the part numbers for the batteries with the highest amp/hr rate, battery boxes and the longer ground cable from Napa auto parts if you want them. The 6 volt units are a little taller and weigh a bit more but the foot print is the same.
Question, If you run (2) 6 volt batteries in series, you double the voltage but, if you run (2) 12 volt batteries in parallel, don't you double the current?

If you have any photos and part #'s, please send them to me or post. I am really interested in doing something soon.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
Old 04-01-2021, 06:46 AM   #8805

Just de winterized my 2019 264bh and washed and scrubbed outside of it, revealed around outdoor shower enclosure, and a couple windows. Installed an oscillating wall mounted fan with remote into the master bedroom, 4" topper added to the mattress with a bamboo plush cover. Getting ready to make diy stabilizers for each end this coming weekend and do a mod for the water heater tank to drain easier. Cheers and happy camping!
Uhde23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 06:52 AM   #8806
Site Team

Checking things out and packing for a 7 -10 day trip.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 12:44 PM   #8807

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
Question, If you run (2) 6 volt batteries in series, you double the voltage but, if you run (2) 12 volt batteries in parallel, don't you double the current?

If you have any photos and part #'s, please send them to me or post. I am really interested in doing something soon.
Series doubles the voltage, the amperage stays the same.

Parallel the voltage stays the same, the amperage doubles.

The added value to going with a pair of 6 volt batteries lies in the construction. All automotive type batteries produce 2 volts per cell. Thus a 6 volt has 3 cells and a 12 volt has 6 cells. Now take a look at the weight. A group 27 battery weighs in at 53 lbs. A comparable GC2 battery weighs 68 lbs. 6 cells 53 lbs, 3 cells 68 lbs. The reason for this is thicker larger, plates which allow for more storage and ability to take the discharge and recharge abuse over a longer period of time.

The part numbers I have are for Napa auto parts products. You can ask the counterman to stock check and order in if necessary.

Group GC2 battery, Part # 8146. Dimensions 10.25" long, 7.125" wide, 10.875 high.

6 volt4 battery box, Balkamp Part # 730-6745

42" Black lug to lug ground cable, MPB Part# 781118

I used the factory battery to coach cable to connect the positive side of the first battery to the coach. I removed the factory ground cable from the trailer frame and used that as my jumper from the negative terminal of the first battery to the positive terminal of the second battery.

Me being a retired USAF aircraft mechanic I hooked up the jumper wire first and checked voltage from the positive of the first battery to the negative of the second battery and ensured I had 12 volts before I connected anything to the trailer. When I re-attached the tongue jack leads, I connected to the positive of the first and the negative of the second. Everything works as advertised.

Our first trip out was supposed to be this weekend and was going to be a boondocking test of the entire system. Plans changed and now our first trip is going to be in 2 weeks to a RV resort in Vegas. I'm certain we will have several boondocking trips in the near future.
2021 Keystone Cougar 27SABWE
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 02:25 PM   #8808

We just got a Melbourne and I’m trying to get stuff organized. I stood in the bathroom staring at 2 bath towels, wondering where I should put hooks to hang them. Help!
Cindy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:47 PM   #8809

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit12 View Post
Series doubles the voltage, the amperage stays the same.

Parallel the voltage stays the same, the amperage doubles.

The added value to going with a pair of 6 volt batteries lies in the construction. All automotive type batteries produce 2 volts per cell. Thus a 6 volt has 3 cells and a 12 volt has 6 cells. Now take a look at the weight. A group 27 battery weighs in at 53 lbs. A comparable GC2 battery weighs 68 lbs. 6 cells 53 lbs, 3 cells 68 lbs. The reason for this is thicker larger, plates which allow for more storage and ability to take the discharge and recharge abuse over a longer period of time.

The part numbers I have are for Napa auto parts products. You can ask the counterman to stock check and order in if necessary.

Group GC2 battery, Part # 8146. Dimensions 10.25" long, 7.125" wide, 10.875 high.

6 volt4 battery box, Balkamp Part # 730-6745

42" Black lug to lug ground cable, MPB Part# 781118

I used the factory battery to coach cable to connect the positive side of the first battery to the coach. I removed the factory ground cable from the trailer frame and used that as my jumper from the negative terminal of the first battery to the positive terminal of the second battery.

Me being a retired USAF aircraft mechanic I hooked up the jumper wire first and checked voltage from the positive of the first battery to the negative of the second battery and ensured I had 12 volts before I connected anything to the trailer. When I re-attached the tongue jack leads, I connected to the positive of the first and the negative of the second. Everything works as advertised.

Our first trip out was supposed to be this weekend and was going to be a boondocking test of the entire system. Plans changed and now our first trip is going to be in 2 weeks to a RV resort in Vegas. I'm certain we will have several boondocking trips in the near future.

THANK YOU. I Really appreciate the information.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
Old 04-01-2021, 10:04 PM   #8810

Location: Full timing in the 377, but Llano, Texas is now home
Well today I installed 3 new group 27 Everstart Marine DC batteries from Walmart. They rolled back the price from $81.67 to $69.87. Super price, even though it only gets 3 stars. For $235.90 out the door for all three, I’m happy. The old trio I had was mismatched, but still worked well for over 4 yrs. The first pair was dealer installed group 24 Mighty Bruin deep cycle batts and 9 mos later, added the group 27 Everstart Marine deep cycle. Did a voltage test 30 min after all 3 were disconnected, the Bruins had 12.62v/12.7v while the Everstart had 13.17v. Then 90 min later at Walmart, it still tested at 13.17v! They tested it and said it still had 842 CCA, and it’s rated at 750. After 4+ years, go figure. Now the new trio is equally matched. They all weighed 48 lbs ea. Group 24s were 36 lbs ea, so I should have a tad more juice to spare than before. Along with new disc pads installed on Mon, new tires installed on Tues, and new batteries today, we’re ready to go April 29 for a six month getaway.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9576.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	69762
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie MC 4x2 DRW 6.7CTD, B&W Companion Slider 3405, Edge Evolution CS (deleted DPF/DOC-special tune), TireMinder TM-77, Firestone air springs, CustomFlow tailgate, Tonnosport tonneau cover, Champion 3100w genset
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH w/Kodiak disc brakes/Titan actuator, Truma AquaGo Comfort, Sailun S637, home of Darin & Dana. Where the 377 has been towed since 5/27/16:
Dskyward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 04:26 AM   #8811

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Checking things out and packing for a 7 -10 day trip.
I just finished a 10 day stay at a COE campground just west of Montgomery, AL and then yesterday traveled to Panama City Beach for another 10 day stay. Then back my home base just south of Birmingham, AL.

I'm still on my G614's which are getting close to aging out as we have discussed previously. I was going to replace them before this trip, but even Good Year doesn't have any per my dealer. The only ones he could find was a bit long in the tooth from manufacturing date so I decided to wait until some new stock is available. Now if these will just hang in there another few hundred miles.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 07:41 AM   #8812

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dskyward View Post
Well today I installed 3 new group 27 Everstart Marine DC batteries from Walmart. They rolled back the price from $81.67 to $69.87. Super price, even though it only gets 3 stars. For $235.90 out the door for all three, I’m happy. The old trio I had was mismatched, but still worked well for over 4 yrs. The first pair was dealer installed group 24 Mighty Bruin deep cycle batts and 9 mos later, added the group 27 Everstart Marine deep cycle. Did a voltage test 30 min after all 3 were disconnected, the Bruins had 12.62v/12.7v while the Everstart had 13.17v. Then 90 min later at Walmart, it still tested at 13.17v! They tested it and said it still had 842 CCA, and it’s rated at 750. After 4+ years, go figure. Now the new trio is equally matched. They all weighed 48 lbs ea. Group 24s were 36 lbs ea, so I should have a tad more juice to spare than before. Along with new disc pads installed on Mon, new tires installed on Tues, and new batteries today, we’re ready to go April 29 for a six month getaway.
Attachment 69762
Wow Darin you have been busy. You should be good for a long long time.
Good job!!

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
2016 F350 Lariat CC LB dually 6.7
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 10:47 AM   #8813

Location: Full timing in the 377, but Llano, Texas is now home
What Did You Do To Your RV TODAY?

Thanks, Jasum. I sure hope so. Maintenance on fifth wheels should keep ones knees in check for a time. No pain no gain. Half the time spent on a task item is making it clean afterwards. After the tire replacement, I think I’m a now a major fan of Meguiar’s Supreme Shine hi gloss protectant for tire sidewalls. I bought it originally for the TV dashboard as the label picture. but on the back label, it included rubber. So I treated all sides of all five tires including the treads of the new spare, and it looks so pretty sitting underneath there.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie MC 4x2 DRW 6.7CTD, B&W Companion Slider 3405, Edge Evolution CS (deleted DPF/DOC-special tune), TireMinder TM-77, Firestone air springs, CustomFlow tailgate, Tonnosport tonneau cover, Champion 3100w genset
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH w/Kodiak disc brakes/Titan actuator, Truma AquaGo Comfort, Sailun S637, home of Darin & Dana. Where the 377 has been towed since 5/27/16:
Dskyward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 03:32 AM   #8814

Yesterday I got up on the roof and did a little Dicor work. I also added a MaxxAir Fanmate vent cover to the bathroom vent. I cleaned the coils on my air conditioner. I cleaned at the inside filter on the air conditioner. I used HVAC tape to further separate the intake and exhaust sides of the air conditioner although someone at the factory have done a great job, surprisingly. I checked my propane and carbon monoxide detector, my smoke detector.

I rented my unit last year and I thought my levelmatepro was stolen but I finally found it in a storage compartment. It had apparently fallen off it's mounting spot. So I remounted it and replaced its battery.

I have the mopek tank sensors and I checked those. Somebody had replaced one of the propane tanks so my sensor was Gone with the Wind. I ordered another sensor and replaced the battery on the other one on the other tank.

A pretty busy but productive day.

Larry
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 05:28 AM   #8815

Used the Trojan watering system to top off my 2 T105's. One of my 2 batteries is very hard to get to to top off the water and the Trojan system solved that. 2 batteries done at the same time in about 60 seconds after hooking up the hose.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 08:45 AM   #8816

Brought the rig back to storage. Will go pick it up again in a little over a week.

This week it's back to my roots. Got a cub scout camping trip with my son in the ol' tent!! Tested the tent a couple weeks ago; still good. Cleaned up/refurbed some gear, and will be doing some more of that this week. Picked up a battery for my CPAP. I just hope my back is up for sleeping "on the ground"; haven't done that in a LONG time!! LOL!!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 10:26 AM   #8817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Brought the rig back to storage. Will go pick it up again in a little over a week.

This week it's back to my roots. Got a cub scout camping trip with my son in the ol' tent!! Tested the tent a couple weeks ago; still good. Cleaned up/refurbed some gear, and will be doing some more of that this week. Picked up a battery for my CPAP. I just hope my back is up for sleeping "on the ground"; haven't done that in a LONG time!! LOL!!
Bob, at least you don’t have to de-winterize a tent! And it will make you appreciate the RV all the more!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 10:37 AM   #8818
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
I just finished a 10 day stay at a COE campground just west of Montgomery, AL and then yesterday traveled to Panama City Beach for another 10 day stay. Then back my home base just south of Birmingham, AL.

I'm still on my G614's which are getting close to aging out as we have discussed previously. I was going to replace them before this trip, but even Good Year doesn't have any per my dealer. The only ones he could find was a bit long in the tooth from manufacturing date so I decided to wait until some new stock is available. Now if these will just hang in there another few hundred miles.
I believe the G614's are a different grade of tire. mine are 6 years old and hardly show any signs of wear considering. I am going to run them another season and re-access next year. They are by far the best tires I have had on any rv.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 04-03-2021, 10:39 AM   #8819
Site Team

We backed the rig up to the house to get the last stuff loaded and we leave on Monday morning. I have been up on the roof, trimming some low limbs, inspecting roof seals and lubing my antenna. I used a little of the Eternabond seam sealer on a few places needing attention.

Now to clean the awning and wash the pollen off.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 04-03-2021, 10:55 AM   #8820

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I believe the G614's are a different grade of tire. mine are 6 years old and hardly show any signs of wear considering. I am going to run them another season and re-access next year. They are by far the best tires I have had on any rv.
I ran a set of congenital tires for ten years that still looked almost new. Only changed because a lot of places won't service 10 year old tires.
Paul B
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote