Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-12-2021, 05:06 PM   #8861

Installed 2 1/2 gallon water heater (110 volt) under sink, installed 4 - 6 volt interstate batteries....getting right rear tire fixed....
2018 Pinnacle 36KPTS

Sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 05:48 PM   #8862

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyGTX View Post
Wife heard a mouse in the island this morning. Opened the drawers and saw a couple of droppings as well as some of her plastic utensils being chewed on. First one we have heard in the 6+ months since we have been living in it while our house is being built.

It had to be coming in from the hole for the drain, hot/cold hoses and wiring. So I pulled the bottom drawer out and saw a huge hole for it to get in. The hole must have been 5" and the drain pipe around 3" with no seal of any kind. So I went to the hardware store and got some expanding foam and loaded it up around the hole. Hopefully that is the end of mouse issues.

Wow, I don't like mice but I'm glad that you are on it what I did is I went from one end to the other end spraying that form stuff in the cracks and fill in the holes. I have find out that the one thing you should do is always stay up on it, make sure no food stay on the floor always clean the floor with bleach and fill in all of any holes.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 05:48 PM   #8863

Washed her and waxed her this weekend. Also had the Fantastic Fan and Cover installed. DW says I'm too old (75) to get up on the roof anymore and ya know what...I think she's right, again. Headed out to Elephant Butte Lake State Park, NM next week so we've also cleaned out the inside and getting ready to pack it up in a few days. Can't wait!!!

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 07:54 PM   #8864

Quote:
Originally Posted by havnfun View Post
DW says I'm too old (75) to get up on the roof anymore and ya know what...I think she's right, again. HappyRVing,
Jeff
Sounds like my DW!! I only go on the roof if it's absolutely necessary and I can't get a mobile tech out. She makes me take my cell phone with me
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 01:46 PM   #8865

Took it it to my independent RV shop and had the bearings packed (annual ritual). While it was there, I went ahead and had them install a heavy duty shackle kit with wet bolts. Of course, looking at the OEM shackles and bolts they replaced, they looked pretty good, even the plastic bushings. But with 10k miles and more to come this year, I figured it was worth the expense. Stimulus money put to good use with a local business!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 01:55 PM   #8866

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
Sounds like my DW!! I only go on the roof if it's absolutely necessary and I can't get a mobile tech out. She makes me take my cell phone with me
DW won't let me on the roof unless she's outside with me. She sits in the bench swing in the shade with a cold drink while I slave away. She'll sit there "mostly patiently" while I'm up, and won't leave for even a minute until I'm down. I also run the slides and awning out. Not that I think they'll save me if I go over the edge, but to help me judge better where that edge is.

I'll be headed to storage to bring the rig home in preparation for another little "jaunt". This time to an area lake we've never boated before. I'm excited to get away, but not so excited for all the work I'll have to do this week to get ready. I just have to remember to prioritize; if the "chores" don't get done, it's okay. So long as I have clothes, water, and maybe a little food, we'll make it just fine. All the "other" stuff is truly "optional".

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 02:18 PM   #8867

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
DW won't let me on the roof unless she's outside with me. She sits in the bench swing in the shade with a cold drink while I slave away. She'll sit there "mostly patiently" while I'm up, and won't leave for even a minute until I'm down. I also run the slides and awning out. Not that I think they'll save me if I go over the edge, but to help me judge better where that edge is.

I'll be headed to storage to bring the rig home in preparation for another little "jaunt". This time to an area lake we've never boated before. I'm excited to get away, but not so excited for all the work I'll have to do this week to get ready. I just have to remember to prioritize; if the "chores" don't get done, it's okay. So long as I have clothes, water, and maybe a little food, we'll make it just fine. All the "other" stuff is truly "optional".
I bet the slides and\or awning could\would save you, the slides are strong enough and the awning probably would slow down your fall enough not to break your neck if that was to happen.

One thing I found, especially when washing the roof top is to wear soft sole "boat" shoes as something about them gives a better grip (imo) than just regular tennis shoes or similar. Also another tip I use is to have a step ladder at the ground level leaning onto the built-in ladder which allows a more gradual and safer climb to the top of the built-in ladder.

Best Wishes, CA
Old 04-13-2021, 02:40 PM   #8868

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
I bet the slides and\or awning could\would save you, the slides are strong enough and the awning probably would slow down your fall enough not to break your neck if that was to happen.

One thing I found, especially when washing the roof top is to wear soft sole "boat" shoes as something about them gives a better grip (imo) than just regular tennis shoes or similar. Also another tip I use is to have a step ladder at the ground level leaning onto the built-in ladder which allows a more gradual and safer climb to the top of the built-in ladder.

Best Wishes, CA
Yup, I've considered many times what would happen if I were to fall into the awning or a slide. I would like to think it would help. But my biggest issue is the difference in visual plane between the roof and the ground. If I'm standing on the roof and I look at the edge, I get a little disoriented with the ground visually "behind" the plane of the roof's edge. It's weird for me. I spent my entire youth walking around the edges of rocks and cliffs, and it never bothered me. And I'm not the least bit afraid of heights. Even to this day I have no problem walking right up to the rail on a tall building, or getting perilously close to a cliff's edge. But for some reason, that roof is just weird for me.

Whether the awning or slides will help me if I go over ... I dunno. But I DO know that I have a LOT easier time positioning myself on the roof safely with them in the visual background. Which dramatically decreases my chances of going over and finding out! (furiously knocking on wood!!)

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 04:47 PM   #8869

The small torque wrench calibrated for 30-150 in-lb finally arrived and I was able to torque down the A/C to 50 in-lb per spec after installing the RV Air Flow insert a week or so ago. As we have a gorgeous day out today I was able to give it a better test after replacing the cover. The thermostat showed 80 inside - set the low point to 75 and hit cool with high fan. 9 minutes later it had dropped to the low point and cut off. I checked the MaxxAir fan remote in the front bedroom and found it registering 75 as well. Normally it stays 2-3 degrees above the set point. Very pleased with the nice improvement in performance and really like the reduced sound level when running.

I also added a small battery powered fan to the lower bunk to help improve the ventilation there when our youngest daughter is staying with us. It is a multi-speed fan and is very quiet. Should help a lot in the warmer weather.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210417_152224379.jpg  
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 04:51 PM   #8870

Made a holder for the wheel chocks for the curb side. All my setup gear is on the road side cubby, plus sometimes the chocks are dirty or wet (or both), so I thought there has to be a better way.Click image for larger version

Name:	20210417_162254.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	70396Click image for larger version

Name:	20210417_162309.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	70397
Old 04-17-2021, 04:54 PM   #8871

Over the winter I did my own version of the RV airflow system on my A/C, reworking the duct and such. I also insulated the head unit so that it's much quieter now, but the vents on the head unit don't work anymore due to the insulation (much like the airflow unit you can buy). So, I decided to cut in an extra vent right next to the unit to provide additional airflow. I just need to paint the screws white.Click image for larger version

Name:	20210417_172351.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	70398Click image for larger version

Name:	20210417_172640.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	70399
Old 04-17-2021, 05:02 PM   #8872

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
The small torque wrench calibrated for 30-150 in-lb finally arrived and I was able to torque down the A/C to 50 in-lb per spec after installing the RV Air Flow insert a week or so ago.
I found that 50 inch pounds was way too much for my AC. I marked the mounting bolts before I removed them and when I hit 50 in-lb they were way past the marks I made, plus the AC gasket looked much more compressed than before I started. I set mine at 25 foot pounds and the marks on the bolts were just about in the same place as they were before I removed them and the gasket wasn’t overly compressed.

I had the same experience last week. We camped where the temps were in the mid 90’s and the AC was set to 75. The AC kept the temp in the RV at the set temp all day and never ran as much as it used to. Very, very impressed with the RV Airflow product.

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 05:05 PM   #8873

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
Over the winter I did my own version of the RV airflow system on my A/C, reworking the duct and such. I also insulated the head unit so that it's much quieter now, but the vents on the head unit don't work anymore due to the insulation (much like the airflow unit you can buy). So, I decided to cut in an extra vent right next to the unit to provide additional airflow. I just need to paint the screws white.Attachment 70398Attachment 70399
Looks good! It is true you lose the "air showers" when you install the RV Air Flow insert or similar modification. They never really put out much on our unit and there was already a similarly placed vent like you added so I was OK without them "working" anymore. Mostly they just made it louder when they were open....
Old 04-17-2021, 05:14 PM   #8874

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
I found that 50 inch pounds was way too much for my AC. I marked the mounting bolts before I removed them and when I hit 50 in-lb they were way past the marks I made, plus the AC gasket looked much more compressed than before I started. I set mine at 25 foot pounds and the marks on the bolts were just about in the same place as they were before I removed them and the gasket wasn’t overly compressed.

I had the same experience last week. We camped where the temps were in the mid 90’s and the AC was set to 75. The AC kept the temp in the RV at the set temp all day and never ran as much as it used to. Very, very impressed with the RV Airflow product.
I didn't trust that mine were properly torqued in the first place, or they've loosened up a bit over the last 13K miles. On mine each corner of the gasket has a large white square stuck to it. I believe that is a simple compression gauge if you don't have an appropriate torque wrench available. At 50 in-lb the bottom of those squares is just about even with the roof.
Old 04-17-2021, 06:16 PM   #8875

At 50 foot pounds my corner tabs were bent in half. That was my first indication that it was over torqued. They are now just touching the top of the roof like they were before.

That’s interesting why there is so much difference in our units. Guess mine has a softer gasket. It is tight because I tried moving it when I was finished and it wouldn’t budge. I’ll check it again in 6 months.

Enjoy your cool summer!

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 08:04 PM   #8876

Good Day

Well, Yesterday we found out that Jayco agreed to take our rv back to the factory to fix some frame problems, including the infamous sidewall crack repair. And even better than that, they are taking it next month (May) , instead of the late fall appointment that we were expecting.
It was already at the dealership for other warranty work, so we'll just leave it there until Jayco comes to pick it up.

So what we did TODAY was go to the dealership and remove the MorRyde orbital wedge, and install the lockout bolts, so now it will operate like a standard pinbox.
While there, we rodent-proofed the heck out of it with peppermint, Fresh Cab, and sticky traps in case the repellants don't work. No evidence of rodents since it's been at the dealer, so we dodged a bullet this time.
Old 04-18-2021, 06:32 PM   #8877

Brought it up from the RV lot and did the usual start-of-season routine. Re-torqued wheels, checked battery levels, oiled tongue jack and dabbed dielectric grease on 7-pin.

Biggest project was sanitizing water tank and lines. Funny story: Mixed up bleach solution and filled FW tank. Bypassed water heater snd closed all the faucets and drain valves (even checked outside shower). Flipped on pump, but it just kept running, with faucets closed. Hmmm. Finally went outside and outside shower was spraying the street. So much for checking it.

Tomorrow: Drain, refill and drain FW tank, check tire psi and get ready for upcoming trip!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
Old 04-18-2021, 06:46 PM   #8878

Got the TT out of storage last weekend, but finally got around to it this weekend (golf course opened last weekend too [emoji6]).

Got a few things checked off my list... Manual tongue jack replaced with the new Husky Super Brute and cleaned up some wiring at the front where I had tied in the TPMS booster two years ago. Also revisited the awning light dimmer switch where I had used heat shrink connectors, but didn't have enough juice at the storage yard to run the heat gun.

General cleanup and look underneath, and the rust cleanup on the frame is holding up really well. Only a couple of spots will need touching up this year. I found one pipe hole that I missed in my "shove in stainless steel wool and pest foam everywhere" search. That will get filled this week.

Didn't de-winterize as we are expecting some cold nights this week (with a chance of snow [emoji35]). Planning on washing and waxing next weekend before taking it to storage.

One interesting thing I found when pulling off the manual jack, the front bolt came out like a charm, the back left one was really tight to undo and I ultimately snapped it off in the hole. Now I was cranky. As I was working on the back right bolt, it was a bit tight but came out. And then I noticed something different about the back right bolt and the front bolt. There was a nut on the bottom of the back right bolt, I noticed because it fell to the ground. I checked the back left one, and sure enough there was a nut there also, which explained how tight it was. Is this common practice? I never saw that on the videos I watched in preparation... I started turning the nut on the broken bolt and sure enough, it started turning! Luckily, it came out and all was well.

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
colby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:33 PM   #8879

I gotta quit reading this website!

Installed new Golf cart Batteries (2) and box, installed Levelmate Pro, installed BAL stabilizing bars, added Anderson levelers and X-chocks to the gear list, and installed rear bumper supports so I wont have to worry about the bikes. More coming tomorrow assuming the big brown truck comes!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210417_155559741.jpg   IMG_20210417_160429587.jpg   IMG_20210417_155542541.jpg   IMG_20210417_161346953.jpg  
Lmbrjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 08:28 PM   #8880

Quote:
Originally Posted by colby View Post
...Didn't de-winterize as we are expecting some cold nights this week (with a chance of snow [emoji35]). .
Snow?!! We hit 91* today Send some cool weather west, please.