Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-18-2021, 05:28 PM   #9181

Installed temperature controlled fans to try an get some air circulating in the bunks when the curtains are closedClick image for larger version

Name:	20210717_173535.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	73716Click image for larger version

Name:	20210717_173525.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	73717
Old 07-18-2021, 08:18 PM   #9182

Well, I did something to mine I've been working towards for years.....

It's now LIFTED and I will have the ability for it to pull level behind my '14 F350.

Most guys have their lifts welded in.... and I didn't want to drop my potential buyer's pool to only guys with taller trucks when I sell this rig... so it needed to be removable so that any ordinary guy that might want it, he or I, could put it back to stock ride height. So, I designed mine from scratch and it's 100% removable with hand tools.

All I've got left is to re-connect the brakes @ the axles and make 2 small shims for the crossbars to be the perfect length. I will also need to get on the roof and see what the new height @ the AC is. Once done, I'll take some pics for you all.

For the neigh sayers:

1- My truck is paid for.
2- My rig is paid for.
3- I don't want a newer/lower truck and mine isn't lifted - it's just the stock height for a '14 F350.
4- I don't want a new/taller rig.

I have a 5500 mile trip comming later next month and I wanted it to tow level.

There's around 150lbs of steel in the sub frame and I'm sure the lead in the tires will make it all hunky dorey.
AUH #3220
White Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 08:26 PM   #9183

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Ox View Post
Well, I did something to mine I've been working towards for years.....

It's now LIFTED and I will have the ability for it to pull level behind my '14 F350.

Most guys have their lifts welded in.... and I didn't want to drop my potential buyer's pool to only guys with taller trucks when I sell this rig... so it needed to be removable so that any ordinary guy that might want it, he or I, could put it back to stock ride height. So, I designed mine from scratch and it's 100% removable with hand tools.

All I've got left is to re-connect the brakes @ the axles and make 2 small shims for the crossbars to be the perfect length. I will also need to get on the roof and see what the new height @ the AC is. Once done, I'll take some pics for you all.

For the neigh sayers:

1- My truck is paid for.
2- My rig is paid for.
3- I don't want a newer/lower truck and mine isn't lifted - it's just the stock height for a '14 F350.
4- I don't want a new/taller rig.

I have a 5500 mile trip comming later next month and I wanted it to tow level.

There's around 150lbs of steel in the sub frame and I'm sure the lead in the tires will make it all hunky dorey.
Nice! Good to see ingenuity and problem solving.
sturgissteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 08:43 PM   #9184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
Installed temperature controlled fans to try an get some air circulating in the bunks when the curtains are closedAttachment 73716Attachment 73717
I LOVE LOVE LOVE how you put that fan right through the wall behind the ladder.... That was SMART!

I built cubbies for both of my kids bunks - not only is it a cubby, but they came with 2 usb ports, 1 12vdc outlet (cig style) and a 120v duplex wall outlet AND dimmable LED strip lights in the cubby to boot. The fans are mounted below the 120V outlets and the bracket for the fan is held in via the outlet itself so no extra screw holes in the walls. I'll take a photo of them tomorrow.

My kids were SUPER pleased with how much cooler they were in their bunks via simply having air blow across them.
AUH #3220
White Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 02:56 AM   #9185

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Ox View Post
I LOVE LOVE LOVE how you put that fan right through the wall behind the ladder.... That was SMART!

I built cubbies for both of my kids bunks - not only is it a cubby, but they came with 2 usb ports, 1 12vdc outlet (cig style) and a 120v duplex wall outlet AND dimmable LED strip lights in the cubby to boot. The fans are mounted below the 120V outlets and the bracket for the fan is held in via the outlet itself so no extra screw holes in the walls. I'll take a photo of them tomorrow.

My kids were SUPER pleased with how much cooler they were in their bunks via simply having air blow across them.
Sounds like you have a neat set up. I hope my work out as good as yours did
Old 07-19-2021, 07:19 AM   #9186

Recliners in and secure. All that is left is some trim and figure out what kind of tables are going to suit our needs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	7AE16505-3A27-4BB0-862B-3767AF1ABAC6.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	73739
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 02:08 PM   #9187

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
Dan, let me know how Okatoma RV Resort is since they are under new ownership. We're booked for a month starting September 25th. Safe travels & enjoy!

Just arrived about 25 mins ago. They have definitely started upgrading the facility. All the sites have some sort of new asphalt, picnic tables, cedar fence, & fire rings. The WiFi appears to have been upgraded as well…according to my dd’s. We got lucky, as it had been raining when we pulled in so the 5er was only 80 degrees inside. While the dw went into the ofc, I waited in the TV & saw a kid catch a pretty large mouth bass…so the fish are definitely biting!
The dd’s are about to head over to the pool now…time for my 1st adult beverage to wind down a bit after the drive!

Name:	IMG_5481.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	269.2 KB
ID:	73761

Name:	IMG_5483.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	73762
Old 07-19-2021, 05:32 PM   #9188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
Just arrived about 25 mins ago. They have definitely started upgrading the facility. All the sites have some sort of new asphalt, picnic tables, cedar fence, & fire rings. The WiFi appears to have been upgraded as well…according to my dd’s. We got lucky, as it had been raining when we pulled in so the 5er was only 80 degrees inside. While the dw went into the ofc, I waited in the TV & saw a kid catch a pretty large mouth bass…so the fish are definitely biting!
The dd’s are about to head over to the pool now…time for my 1st adult beverage to wind down a bit after the drive!
Attachment 73761
Attachment 73762
Thanks so much Dan!! We are looking forward to our stay there. I do a lot of fly fishing and had a ball last time we were there. Safe travels!
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 11:26 PM   #9189

I put on my leftover JT's Strongarm on my rear leveling jack since I had them just laying around not been use and I cut of my Sewer holes and install a permanent Valterra RV waste valve I figure why not.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN3798.JPG   DSCN3800.JPG   DSCN3802.JPG   DSCN3804.JPG   DSCN3806.JPG  

DSCN3808.JPG   DSCN3809.JPG  
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 07:19 AM   #9190

Last night I had to break out the duck tape! There was a horrible sewage smell coming from inside the 5er…tracked it down to the master bedroom closet. The smell was coming from the drain for the washing machine. I don’t know if there’s no p-trap or if the drain hose went past it? So I pulled the hose out and made it the shape of a p-trap and duck taped it into place. Then I duck taped the sh!t out of the opening for the drain hose! After 10 mins or so the smell was gone, DW was happy, so I then went to bed!
Old 07-21-2021, 07:30 AM   #9191

Electric steps stopped working on our redhawk, had to check grounds and contact switch at screen door and now working? Probably a geound as they were corroded. Also i had to fix the spring on the screen door that broke. New package of 10 springs available on Amazon for $10, better than a $15 latch assembly.
Dgibbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 07:34 AM   #9192

Looks great. We love our repro recliners.
Dgibbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 07:36 AM   #9193

Quote:
Last night I had to break out the duck tape! There was a horrible sewage smell coming from inside the 5er…tracked it down to the master bedroom closet. The smell was coming from the drain for the washing machine. I don’t know if there’s no p-trap or if the drain hose went past it? So I pulled the hose out and made it the shape of a p-trap and duck taped it into place. Then I duck taped the sh!t out of the opening for the drain hose! After 10 mins or so the smell was gone, DW was happy, so I then went to bed!
The drain for the washer machine on mine has a cap that screws into it keeping any odors from backing up. I don't have a washer so it stays capped all the time.
Attached Thumbnails
Washer Drain Cap.jpg  
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 07:39 AM   #9194

Quote:
... Then I duck taped the sh!t out of the opening for the drain hose! After 10 mins or so the smell was gone, DW was happy, so I then went to bed!
There should be a Stueder valve if nothing else. The fact you were able to alleviate the olfactory irritation indicates your grey tank is stinking. Have you used your washer since you last moved your 5r? If not, the 'pee' trap was dry from sloshing.
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 07:43 AM   #9195

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblast523 View Post
There should be a Stueder valve if nothing else. The fact you were able to alleviate the olfactory irritation indicates your grey tank is stinking. Have you used your washer since you last moved your 5r? If not, the 'pee' trap was dry from sloshing.

We haven’t used it since our last trip to Moab. I had our gray valve open (because I’m with the DW & 3 teenage girls) to drain the shower water at the time of the smell. I’m thinking the smell was coming back up from the sewer opening. I used a flashlight to look down the drain opening, but of course I couldn’t see anything. That’s why I fashioned the drain hose into a p-trap. I ran the wash cycle for 5 mins and then canceled it to put some water back in the line.
Old 07-21-2021, 07:50 AM   #9196

Moab Utah to Destin Florida, if there is a trap, it is dry. Code in Fl does not require a trap in RV sewers, but Tx some locales do...and that is most likely the answer to where and why.
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 07:54 AM   #9197

I changed out all of the storage door locks to keyed alike locks that match the entry door. Now just need 1 key for any access.
Old 07-21-2021, 09:35 AM   #9198

Quote:
We haven’t used it since our last trip to Moab. I had our gray valve open (because I’m with the DW & 3 teenage girls) to drain the shower water at the time of the smell. I’m thinking the smell was coming back up from the sewer opening. I used a flashlight to look down the drain opening, but of course I couldn’t see anything. That’s why I fashioned the drain hose into a p-trap. I ran the wash cycle for 5 mins and then canceled it to put some water back in the line.
I had a situation also where would get the sewer smell through the shower drain when I left the gray tank valve open. When that happened I was able to fashion a trap on my sewer hose where it went into the sewer by letting the hose dip some forming a U, thus eliminating the smell. I have since had an actual p-trap added to the shower drain, so I don't necessarily have to fashion the trap on the sewer hose in the future (hopefully anyway).
Old 07-21-2021, 10:13 AM   #9199

Been back for a couple three weeks from our first outing this year, it's now 5 years old:

pulled markers and other items that pass through the sidewall, cleaned and resealed to body with Lexel. (I won't ever use silly cone)

Applied seal protectant to all rubber seals.

replaced a leaking pressure valve on the Atwood HW tank.

tested and replaced some screws for fender skirts with neoprene coated washers between the body and skirt. Works to prevent cracking of the skirt.

Installed an AP brand door window with tinted glass and shade into main door.

crafted a table for the recliner seats that fits into the cup holders. (I'll try to put up a pic)

Added a bluetooth adapter to the Furion headphone jack so we can broadcast the sirius radio plugged into the aux to a bluetooth speaker up to 40 feet from the trailer. FAR superior sound to the stock speakers under the awning.

Sprayed for ants with permethrin. Picked up a nest somewhere. dead bodies everywhere within hours.

Put made brackets on that wobbly collapsible table leg system to make it rigid and yet still work as a collabsible leg table when needed.

Previous work...removed the plastic inhibitors in each awning style window that prevented it from opening more than an inch. They now really open several inches for better air flow. Still no rain enters.

Affixed 2x4's on edge at each compartment opening on the floor. Prevents dragging stuff from a compartment and doing damage to to the seal or the aluminum frame under the seal.

Installed second battery and 2000w inverter.

Replaced skylight crappy plexiglass domes with Lexan domes.

zip tied hinges of propane cover access. (they can blow off!)

Installed two inch fender style hitch on A member to put Reese truck ball hitch when not in truck sleeve. Saves shins, keeps dirt off pants/legs, keeps off the ground and saves back putting in and out of compartment! Made hangers to hang trunion W/D arms off the ground also.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210721_115324197.jpg   IMG_20210721_115337315.jpg   IMG_20210721_115454990.jpg   IMG_20210721_115356261.jpg   IMG_20210721_115601754.jpg  

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 11:54 AM   #9200

Muck: impressive! Some great ideas here. Thanks!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote