My Father-in-Law and I converted my '96 Jayco Jay 1008 to 30 amp and installed a roof mount ac unit last Saturday(not today, I know, I know...). We just popped the roof vent out, and the ac fit like a dream in the existing hole. We sealed It with weatherstripping and what I believe was 20 year roofing caulk. (He already had the tube ready to go, and I didn't personally read it!
)We then installed a new 30' shore power cord, which we wired into a brand new breaker box. Bought the cord, a heavy duty plug and box at Home Depot with an included 60 amp breaker and popped that one out, replacing it with a 30 amp. (They didn't have any other acceptable prebuilt boxes.) Wired the shore power supply straight into this box, and then pigtailed over to the existing power box for the house power of the trailer. We left about 8-10" of the old shore power cord to tie into the new breaker box to feed power to the existing box. Then we installed the plug on the business end of the shore power cord and waterproofed the plug with silicon. Presto chango-AC equipped pop up!
I've never done any electrical before, but I actually did the lion's share of the wiring on this project. The most difficult part was routing the cord through the wall panels alongside the existing electrical wiring. The entire project took approx 5 hours, including shopping time. And the feeling of accomplishment is great! Not to mention the happy wife part of the equation. Taking the camper out for its maiden voyage tomorrow. Too bad we probably won't even need the ac.
Will take pics of everything and attempt to post them from the campsite tomorrow night. No promises.