Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-24-2017, 10:30 PM   #21

I bought one of these Coleman Quad(TM) LED Lantern https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TS71NG

On Xmas sale in 2014 for $35,, enough detachable flashlights for the whole family, worked as light during power outage and as a main light source in the evenings during burn bans.
It is in 3rd camping season and I haven't changed the batteries yet...

Jay flight Slx 174BH Baja
Ukrainian_Kozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 05:29 AM   #22

I use these small but powerful CREE models that uses a three AAA battery holder inside. Works great for me and batteries last a long time.

Always have enough on hand so that everyone gets their own flashlight to carry around with them...

We are also into using a couple of these fuel lanterns hanging from a tree around the camp site. These are turned down to a very low light at night and just enough to give off a shadow of anything wandering through the camp site at night.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:52 AM   #23

When we tented and had a pop-up flashlights were pretty important to me but back then high end flashlights were the ones with the big 6 volt batteries.

Since then my needs are much less important and I view them like I view keeping $1 pairs of cheater reading glasses around. A pair in every room, a pair at work, a pair in the trailer. With flash lights I have at least a dozen of the cheap mini-LED ones, most of which I got for free. Several in the trailer, several in the garage, several in the house. They work great and serve my needs well.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:01 AM   #24

The big Mag Lite and a couple smaller ones. I mainly use a headlamp with a strap that I used when I would go hiking.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:10 AM   #25

Ahh, there was nothing quite like the heft of a Maglite.

Now my favorite is a headlamp I scored off amazon. I had tried a cheapy walmart headlamp that essentially was like a headband and did not really appreciate it. This newer one has a strap that goes over the top and I can direct the light. We do keep a handful of other flashlights, but nothing seems to have as much usage as the headlamp version as I can have light and keep my hands free.

I don't get why the put strobes in them now though.
A2Z_Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 03:01 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
When we tented and had a pop-up flashlights were pretty important to me but back then high end flashlights were the ones with the big 6 volt batteries.

Since then my needs are much less important and I view them like I view keeping $1 pairs of cheater reading glasses around. A pair in every room, a pair at work, a pair in the trailer. With flash lights I have at least a dozen of the cheap mini-LED ones, most of which I got for free. Several in the trailer, several in the garage, several in the house. They work great and serve my needs well.
I've found the el cheapo mini-flashlights to be extremely unreliable (especially if you drop them) and are not all that bright.

Because of their dimness, however, I do like them for navigating to the loo in a dark house or motel room when on the road and I don't want to wake anyone up by turning on the lights. I carry a couple in my luggage just for that reason (one is a spare since, as I mentioned, they aren't very reliable).

I use a pair of reading glasses when working at my computer at home since, with my trifocals, I would kill my neck trying to look through the correct lens. I also keep a pair by my bed for watching TV since, when laying on my back, I would be looking through the wrong lens when wearing my trifocals.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:10 PM   #27

Snapon LED from Costco. $19.00 for three.
Phil2008 is offline   Reply With Quote