Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-28-2012, 05:15 PM   #111

Ooh! I got one. Well, going to throw my DH under the bus with one like any decent wife! Second trip out with our pop up several years ago, we had one site for 3 nights then the site across the path for 3 nights. While I was doing laundry by the camp store, he was popping down to move across the way. I come walking up the path with a basket of clothes, and I see my pop up, three corners pointing down and one straight up in the air. He cranked it down before removing the last support. Busted the pole away from the lid, impaled our ceiling and took he and his dad the rest of the afternoon to get the thing cranked down. That corner was never the same. He has yet to live that one down! Luckily, the new owners don't mind the funky repair job. And now on to bigger and better!

southpaw211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:21 AM   #112

Had my first travel trailer unhooked, plugged in, awning out, walking around the site with my water hose..couldn't find the spigot anywhere. Lo and behold Mi state parks don't have water 15 minutes later I'm driving to the dump station to fill the water tank that I had left empty.

OhRver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:50 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhRver View Post
Had my first travel trailer unhooked, plugged in, awning out, walking around the site with my water hose..couldn't find the spigot anywhere. Lo and behold Mi state parks don't have water 15 minutes later I'm driving to the dump station to fill the water tank that I had left empty.
Make sure that's potable water at the dump station. Many are not.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:48 PM   #114

When I hooked things up at the cg in Williams I wasn't getting any water in the trailer but I could hear water running. After trying all the faucets I went back out to check the hose and noticed that I had hooked it up to the black tank sprayer. Duuuhhh.

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:31 AM   #115
Site Team

Any more boneheads out there?
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:47 AM   #116

Anybody that has read any of my posts know that I'm a bonehead. On one of our trips this summer, I couldn't find the socket for my cordless drill that fits the stabilization jacks. Frustrated, but no big deal, I'll just use the wrench and crank them all down manually. After the trip when we returned home, I found that socket in the pocket of my jeans--the jeans that I was wearing at the CG when I was looking all over for it. On another trip I opened the black tank valve before I removed the cap and installed the sewer hose when I pulled into the dump/sanitation station. You know no matter how fast you think you are, you're never faster than the water and.....other substances that are coming out of that pipe, the very instant that cap is removed. All I can say is that nobody has been injured because of my boneheadedness, and I'm learning more and more everyday. With that being said, I'll report the next incident after the TT wakens from hibernation and we go on our next adventure. Happy Camping!!
pm1stnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:08 PM   #117

Most boneheaded, easy.

I began to pull out of the campsite and the towing was very sluggish, we just were not moving. We got out and saw that the tongue jack had not been raised. We had dug a two foot long trench in the ground. Fortunately no damage!
Yamaha EF3000iseb generator
Renogy 100 Watt Solar Suitcase
ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:17 PM   #118
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign View Post
Most boneheaded, easy.

I began to pull out of the campsite and the towing was very sluggish, we just were not moving. We got out and saw that the tongue jack had not been raised. We had dug a two foot long trench in the ground. Fortunately no damage!

That will turn a few heads in a camp ground!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:26 PM   #119

The only time I didnt jump back out of the truck for a final hook-up check, is the one time that I didnt have the TT electrical cord properly run to my TV. There was too much slack and the cord was dragging... I remember having to hit the brakes because of some wildlife on the side of the road (in our local "mountains" which are glorified hills really) and thinking to myself that the trailer was really pushing... well, got to the campground and sure enough my cord had road rash and had basically cut the brake wires and trailer lights! Praise God we made it there in one piece and are able to tell the tale.

So far that was the only "major" bonehead moment. :hihi: of course we have only been campers for two seasons so far... so likely more to come!
Old 02-26-2013, 09:46 PM   #120

Mine was a few years back. Wife, kids and I had a great 3 day camping trip with our old TT. The day we were pulling out was very hot and things were just falling apart as I was getting everything ready to pull out. I was hooking up the trailer and I couldn't get it to lower onto the ball. I was starting to get a little stressed and a few choice words were said. My wife said "Hey honey, why is that scissor jack still down behind you" Needles to say I missed the driver side stab jack and thus the trailer just sat there on the jack and wouldn't lower down. I felt pretty stupid but it did lift my spirits because we got a good laugh out of it on the way home. Now my wife always asks if I have all the stabilizers up before I back up.

Codiac is offline   Reply With Quote