Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-08-2014, 01:57 PM   #221
Site Team

Attention: More boneheads needed!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:30 PM   #222

I'm forever forgetting to put the big foldout hand rail in its travel position.
I forgot one time as we were going out our drive.
We have an electric gate,I did look in the mirror in time to see the hand rail before I caught it on the gate post but I had to stop and you only have about 20 seconds before the gate closes.
It didn't do any damage to the trailer but it does blow the fuse on the gate.
I had to disconnect the opener from gate,pull the trailer out and go back to the house to get a replacement fuse delaying our departure for a bit.
I put the DW in charge of checking the hand rail now.
1 wife
2 spoiled cihuahua's
rugerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:04 PM   #223

OK, first trip in new TT.

Never owned one before.

Had checklists from a few sources.

Delegated outside to me, and inside to DW.

With much enthusiasm I ticked off my items in record speed.

Impatiently asked DW to get a move on, the hwy. beckoned.

She finally emerged, and put her foot on the step I had stowed, as per checklist; 15 mins. earlier.

That was not my biggest mistake.

Laughing, was however.

Quiet drive that day.
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:32 AM   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretCoveDave View Post

Never owned one before.

She finally emerged, and put her foot on the step I had stowed, as per checklist; 15 mins. earlier.

Laughing, was however.

Quiet drive that day.
I literally laughed out loud. Because I've had that long quiet drive before too!
I hope she was okay!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:45 AM   #225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I literally laughed out loud. Because I've had that long quiet drive before too!
You had the long quiet drive with Dave's wife?!?!?
Old 07-09-2014, 07:50 AM   #226

I just did an easy one. Third outing with the new TT. I had developed a nice checklist for setting up where each of my two sons, DW, and I each had a task. Everything went great until my youngest son came up and said he could not finish his tasks - he could not put the awning out.

Being my normal self, I did not listen to him, observed acidly that at thirteen years old it was high time he remembered the tasks that I had taught him, and that it was simplicity itself to push the button for the power awning. As I was mouthing off and walking to the door of the trailer, my younger son pointed out the tree trunk that prevented the awning from coming out.

After my meal of crow and yet another apology to a son for being impatient with him, the checklist was revised so that checking clearances for the slide AND the awning is now way up at the top of the list.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:53 AM   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie View Post
You had the long quiet drive with Dave's wife?!?!?
HAHAHA!! Nah! Though I don't know, it might be easier with her! My DW sure knows how to make the quiet so thick, I need my pocket knife to carve out a line of sight through the windshield!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:27 AM   #228

DW's pride was hurt. She was OK.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:08 AM   #229

June 2014. 7 night camping trip to Ludington State park. Four women and 2 men in the TT and all of them using the toilet (pee only...house rules!). So about 4 night in the black tank is showing full already so it's time to dump.

A year or two ago Ludington SP installed satellite dump stations at one bathroom facility in each camping loop...a real nice convenience as the main dump station is about a mile away.

I break out the tote tank and get the tank hose out from the little compartment at the tail end of the trailer and hook up both ends and proceed to dump the peewater. The outlet from the trailer is lower than the height of the tote tank so I have to milk the hose in order to get things flowing. As I'm doing this, there is a section of sewer hose that is all stiff and won't bend so I valve off the black tank and begin the unpleasant task of having a look-see.

I discovered that I had stored my toilet flushing wand inside the hose, completely forgot about it, and gave it a good drenching with peewater!! Needless to say, when I got home I took the wand out and stored it in my shop as I only use it at home anyway.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:24 PM   #230

Recent bone head move

Recently got back from camping trip, when we were packing to leave i was loading stuff into the storage compartment sort of organizing and i noticed i did not see my sewer hose so i looked throughout the storage area still no hose so i told my wife i must have left it last time we camped so i jumped in the truck drove 14 miles to camping world bought another came back took camper to dump while dumping happened to look at the side of the trailer , i guess what i noticed argh!! A little door that said below it sewer hose what a day!!!
2006 JAYCO JAY FEATHER 23B EXP
EQUILIZER HITCH
Kellys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:23 AM   #231

I haven't had any myself (yet, knock on wood) but my dear late husband had one big one I have to share. The whole trip was one big boner after another.

I have always had vintage campers, my first was a 12 foot '69 Santa Fe that I bought when we moved to Seward, Alaska.

My husband and his buddy decided they wanted to go moose hunting and take my little camper. Buddy had a big old truck and seemed more knowledgable than my hubby so I said ok. (My husband, bless his heart, was a great guy but just not the outdoor handyman type at all) I warned them, what ever you do don't leave the keys inside the camper, it has a tendancy to lock automatically if you slam the door and you will be locked out.

So off they went, drove to Tok, Alaska to go moose hunting. They told me if I don't hear from them by 11am on Saturday to call the police to search for them. (they were both Coast Guard so took this very seriously as they search for missing people all the time)

Sat comes around and it's 11am, no word from them. I know them, I know they just are getting a late start etc. so I wait. I wait till 1pm and still no word. Finally I call the state police and tell them where to start looking for them.

At 2:30 I finally get a call saying they are on the road, got a late start, had a few mishaps but all is ok and they will tell me about it when they get home.
So I call the police and tell them to call off the search which they do.

The guys arrive home and come to find out...they had left the keys in the camper and it locked them out at night. So they had to decide to break a window or the lock to get in (they broke the lock).

Then when it came to leave they over slept, quickly packed up and headed home. They were doing about 70 on the highway when all of a sudden the trailer comes off the hitch. Luckily they had the chains on but the pole (whose actual technical name escapes me now) was down low enough to drag the highway. Sparks were flying as it dug a 1 inch groove into the road until they could safely stop. It melted the end of the pole of course.

I was so mad (especially about having to call the police) that I chased them both around the yard for a bit.

We drove that little camper to Juneau, took it on the ferry. Sold it. Moved to Anchorage where I bought a '57 Shasta. Hubby got a little handier over the years and here it is dipnetting in Soldotna back in 2010.

Bought a '04 Jayco last summer after moving back home to OK to be close to family and am having to learn how to tow something much bigger and use all the plumbing and stuff I never had to do before. But very glad to be back out camping with my kids. Their dad loved to camp and I am sure he is smiling from above to.
okieinalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:00 AM   #232

Thanks for the story.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:18 AM   #233

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretCoveDave View Post

Never owned one before.

Laughing, was however.

Quiet drive that day.
Glad she was not hurt and we can all laugh with you. My wife and I have our own jobs in setup/breakdown and we have been doing this long enough to know that the sequence of tasks is as important as the task itself. We have this one thing we always say when the task comes to early it's: "you are working against me". It might be something as simple as me pulling power while she is running the floor sweeper and I hear this: you are working against me.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:38 AM   #234

Well here is one I have yet to hear. New trailer first night home kids have yet to see it. I moved up from a pup to a 297BHS. I have never owned a TT before. I explained DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING. Next thing I hear is somebody using the bath room. Well I never told my 6 year old not to use it. My bad. Not a big deal I will just open the black tank and drain it down the driveway later that night. I knew it was empty, when I bought it the guy opened it to show me it was empty. I open it and there is nothing there. I Wonder why. Well I will fix this, I will just take a hose inside and add a little water to the toilet to dilute the pee and flush it out. What came out of that sewer hose was probably a year worth of caked on s%&t. Well I am never one to get freaked out or embarrassed, but did I ever. It took me an hour to clean the driveway. and took me a couple weeks to admit doing something so bad. Did I say I live in a subdivision. There were two (2) things that were going through my mind during the clean up. 1) there is NO WAY this just happened. and 2) Cousin Eddie, need I say more.
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:54 PM   #235

Thanks for being so honest.

Yes, you did make me feel better. lol
Old 07-23-2014, 01:25 PM   #236

A week and a half long trip to the U.P of Michigan and the day we are heading home, I go to hook up the TV. I normally NEVER remove the wheel chocks or brake (the one that holds the tires from moving in between the two) until the camper is on the ball and the torsion bars are hooked up but for some reason this time I did. I went to back up the Yukon, and I didn't have the tongue up high enough and I bumped it, the camper moved just enough to fall off the the linx levelers (4 on each wheel road side). The camper rolled back, bent the tongue jack, I was saying words I havent said since I was a teen and Im sure every mother in the campground was covering their kids ears at the time... Fortunitly I had a jack and some tools with me, so I was able to get the camper hooked up and the tongue jack removed so we could start our two day trip home.

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:23 PM   #237

- Forgot to fold down the antenna and drove off tearing it off on a tree

- Forgot to unplug the pigtail (travel power cord) due to neighbor asking me questions during my set up. Never again do I get out of my routine. I ask them to wait until I am setup. I pulled ahead and ripped the tip off my power cord.

- I forgot to turn my shutoff valves to the hot water heater. Could not figure out why 3 gallons of antifreeze did not work. Mind you I had a 12 gallon hot water heater . Oops lol
2014 Dodge Ram 2500, Diesel

TEBechtold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:44 PM   #238

I've got a good one that just happened to me. The night before I was scheduled to leave on a 10 day camping trip I was getting the trailer ready. I had pulled the pin on the breakaway switch and stored it in the compartment so it wouldn't get lost or stolen. I figured I'd just put it back next time I went camping. DON'T DO THIS. The plug totally melted. I thought I had hooked up my batteries wrong or my camper had been hit by lightning or something serious. Figured out the cause after a little online research. Luckily I was able to buy a replacement breakaway switch and install it the next morning without it impacting my trip, but I was freaking out for a while that evening.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:21 PM   #239

-Running out of gas head up up a steep mountain on a 2 lane highway. (Note to self: Miles till empty gauge not accurate unless you are level)

-Almost jack knifing my rig to the point the trailer's electric connector wire was got caught and was crimped & damaged.

-One of our nieces or nephews left the water running in the bathroom and within minutes later there a pool of water dripping out of the front door. Luckily there was no water damage, but was a mess!
2014 Feather Ultra Lite X23B (sold)
IceOnFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:24 AM   #240

Well... I finally had a completely avoidable snafu. Unfortunately it was on the maiden voyage with our brand new 29.5BHDS. I use the TV electrical connecter at the bumper hitch, as I don't have one in the bed of the truck. No big deal as most 5er cords are long enough and made for this. Well when I hooked this one up, I noticed it was really long! Long enough to drag on the ground. I was in a hurry and coiled it back into the pinbox and said good enough. 120 miles later, I pulled into a state park to fill our tank for boondocking. Our my way back I noticed about 1 foot cord was dragging on the asphalt and must have been for almost the entire way. Worn right through to the copper in several of the wires. I don't know how but all of the lights still worked so I used some rope and tied a coil together and shoved it back into the pin box. It got us home but now it needs repair.

Something that I have "learned" many times, but still don't always comply with. Don't get in a hurry! Every bit of damage I have ever done to anything is as a result of it.
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote