Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-01-2014, 02:46 PM   #261

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolaq View Post
It's amazing that we gave it a second shot, actually, let alone that we love it as much as we do, but that is our baseline on how we rate every camping trip against since.
It's a good baseline! I love the part where you and your wife laughed hysterically! That's the best thing to do in that circumstance, and it's certainly better than getting all angry. There's nothing you can do about it except clean up, so might as well laugh it off!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 02:49 PM   #262

I think NOLAQ wins first prize..

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 02:52 PM   #263

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex1961 View Post
I think NOLAQ wins first prize..
Definitely a top contender, jwstewar has had a pretty rough road too!

Reading this thread always makes me feel better about being me...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 03:21 PM   #264

4700 miles and 37 night under our belts so far and nothing other than cutting a corner or two a little too close (no damage) to report so far. I think if we'd been in a situation like Nolaq or jwstewar DW would have insisted on a For Sale sign...
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:47 AM   #265

On my first camping trip with my pop up, cranked the top up too high and broke the cables as well binding some of the tracks. Had to drive all the way home with the top up. luckly it was not far and on back roads. cost 800$ dollars to fix.
tommy j barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:24 AM   #266

I had a trip like that...but we were in tents...so I guess it doesn't count!
charles_cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 03:32 PM   #267

I went camping this weekend and we were watching a trailer pull into their site and he was flying down the road and just whipped into his site, faster than I would have with my old PU. Thank good the camp ground owner was directing him to his site and told him to stop as he had his awning rubbing against a utility pole. Why would you rush something like that?
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:29 AM   #268

I've got a one of my own, then one to share of my dear FIL.

Setting up my former PUP and forgot to open and pull out the bag awning before cranking the roof all the way up. No big deal, used the trailer step to reach up and unzip the bag. I kind of had forgotten that the last time we stowed the awning the ties that held the rolled awning in place had frayed away. As soon as I got the bag fully unzipped the awning fell straight down, bounced off of and broke the porch light housing and slammed into my upraised knee trying to arrest the fall. No knee damage and I repaired the lens and housing with medical tape from the first aid kit. It was still that way when I traded it in on the new TT.

My FIL wasn't nearly as cheap of a fix. He'd just took delivery on his new toy hauler and he'd never owned a TT or TH before only a class A 20 years ago. I followed him to the dealership in my truck and then on to the campground being the devoted SIL I am to help out where I could.

Get to the campground and he starts pulling into a pull through site. His mirrors showed plenty of clearance between the tree and the SIDE of the TH. Unfortunately he could see the tree leaning onto the roof/top edge of the TH. He scraped about 9 ft of rubber, molding, and aluminum off the TH before we could get it unstuck and properly set up in a more open site. TH was less than an hour old when all this happened. Three days later, back at the dealership we learned they were going to have to replace the full roof membrane and part of the aluminum on the side of the TH.

I never did hear the final price tag on that one, only that they had a 1k deductible and it was well above that!
Sweeden72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:13 PM   #269

Last fall I came upon a guy who had destroyed the roof of his brand new 5th wheel on the under side of a RR overpass. It was sad to see. The thing had a temp tag and some of the factory stickers were still on it. He explained to me that he had bought it at the RV show and paid with his retirement savings. He had the dealer upgrade the rooftop AC before taking delivery. It never dawned on him that the new rooftop AC would change his overall height enough that he wouldn't clear the RR overpass. His AC got snagged and ripped the entire roof open. There was also a lot damage to the sidewalls and interior. To add insult to injury he was only about 1 mile from home after a about a 100 mile drive and had a house full of people waiting to see his new purchase.
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:50 PM   #270

I already put my personal bonehead story in here. I would like to add the worst one I ever witnessed.

We were at a fairgrounds (somewhere, they all ran together back in our dog show days) setup and working on our dogs. A woman (only because its true) came through the gate closest to us in a huge motorhome. She came through the very wide gates by going around someone who was talking to the workers at the gate. She managed to take down the main gate pole and open the back end of the motorhome all the way up. The fence, pole and most of the gate stayed with her motorhome as she continued into the grounds and pulled it across a bunch of parked cars before the workers got in front of her and made her stop.

That is the most damage I have ever seen done with a camper. The reason we saw the whole thing was due to our looking out for a friend to pull in and take the spot we were holding for him. We did that for each other depending on who got to the show first. So I saw the motorhome cut over and then begin to take down the fence, I thought they should stop but actually the motorhome picked up speed. The gate keepers were going nuts trying to stop the huge thing without being killed by it. A very very big mess.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:40 PM   #271

May be the winner!

Perhaps someone could rate the top 3.
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:12 AM   #272
Site Team

This thread should have a
Mascot!
Attached Thumbnails
gettin' smarter.jpg  
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:28 AM   #273

While waiting with a few others getting propane bottles filled, another RV owner told a story about being alongside of the interstate when he heard a loud, unusual sound. A large class A motorhome went racing by and the toad had its front wheels turned and locked and on the ground.
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:36 AM   #274

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmik Debris View Post
While waiting with a few others getting propane bottles filled, another RV owner told a story about being alongside of the interstate when he heard a loud, unusual sound. A large class A motorhome went racing by and the toad had its front wheels turned and locked and on the ground.
I did that in 1982 with my jeep. It's easy to do...I pulled out of my driveway and the wheels on the jeep flopped sideways. I noticed immediately and stopped. You have to be careful on sharp turns.
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:27 AM   #275
Site Team

A few years back, thru my own negligence, I dropped my fifth wheel on the bed. UGH! Bad day.

A Blue Ox Bedsaver was my next purchase for peace of mind and protection from the senior disease know as CRS.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1988 (Small).JPG  
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:39 AM   #276

I'v seen this a lot. Hurts bad. When I use a fiver I always put truck in foward and reverse making sure hooked up before fully retracting landing gear.
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:07 AM   #277

Trade-In

My BIGGEST bonehead moment (won't get into all the little ones - time doesn't permit) was I decided on an upgraded TT. Looked at it several times and got to know the dealer well. The decision was made, the date was set and I had to take the TT to the dealer to do the "deal".
Now, I have an Equal-I-zer hitch and use the electric tongue jack to raise the back of my truck to install the torsion bars (I think you know where this is going). I all the excitement and didn't do my usual walk around and forgot to retract my tongue jack and bent the heck out of it - so much it wouldn't retract anymore. Now, of course, it was scraping. So, with the use of a bottle jack, blocks of wood and jack stands it was bent to at least a 75 degree angle so I wouldn't drag.
The dealer just laughed about it and didn't deduct any from the estimate he said he was going to give, in fact I was able to haggle a little more on the trade-in side.

2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE CC Duramax/Allison
2014 Jayco Eagle 338RETS w/Equal-i-zer 14k

GO HAWKS!!
marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:29 PM   #278

When I was driving trucks I'd always lock the trailer brakes and try moving forward to make sure the 5th wheel was locked. It's especially important if you're hauling doubles or triples.
Diesel wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:23 AM   #279

I was doing a facor for a friend and was picking up his fifth wheel from a storage lot and delivering it to a dealer for service. I had not towed his trailer before. I hooked it up and headed down the road. I thought boy this trailer his heavy. Went a couple of blocks and stopped got out and looked at the trailer and truck and didn't see any problems. So I get back in the truck and take off. About a quarter mile down the road I see smoke at the wheels. Come to find out his safety brake cable was short and hooked on my hitch and tripped the electric brakes. Tires and brakes were smoking.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:58 AM   #280

Quote:
Originally Posted by skijlw View Post
I was doing a facor for a friend and was picking up his fifth wheel from a storage lot and delivering it to a dealer for service. I had not towed his trailer before. I hooked it up and headed down the road. I thought boy this trailer his heavy. Went a couple of blocks and stopped got out and looked at the trailer and truck and didn't see any problems. So I get back in the truck and take off. About a quarter mile down the road I see smoke at the wheels. Come to find out his safety brake cable was short and hooked on my hitch and tripped the electric brakes. Tires and brakes were smoking.
Not really a bonehead (at least I don't think so) triggered by the above:

I was delivering a 5w and needed to make a very sharp right turn into a gas station driveway from a rather busy road. The truck was in the parking lot and the trailer was still blocking one lane of the road when the rig suddenly just STOPPED MOVING!

The truck & transmission seemed fine, the engine strained but the rig would not move! Traffic started backing up in the road and a 'friendly', 'helpful' police officer stopped and said I couldn't park there! He's telling me all this and that I had to move the truck and trailer while I'm busy trying to figure what's wrong? (Did mention how helpful he was? )

Like skijlw, the cable caught on something on the sharp turn, tripped the breakaway switch, and set the trailer brakes. No smoke, but lots of folks, and a police officer, were not happy for a few minutes.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote