Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-02-2014, 11:50 AM   #181

First time out with the new PUP it was really hot and a storm was coming. In a rush I got the trailer chocked, disconnected, jacks, power, raised the roof, brought out the beds and slide and got everything buttoned down. The storm was not there yet so I decied to hook up the water. Then I realized the hose was in the front compartment under the bed and I couldn't open it without bring the bed back in and couldn't reach the hose from the inside access door. Well, the next morning, the slides and bed went back in so I could finally hook up water.

The third time out we decided to bring to stove outside to cook. Hooked it up to the side of the trailer, made sure the gas was on at the tanks, turned on the stove, no flame. Checked the tanks again, no flame. Took about a hour to remember the little valved next to the quick connect on the outside of the trailer.

2013 Jayco Jay 1206
2005 Chevy Trailblazer
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:57 PM   #182

Just picked up my TT get it to house all excited about unhooking getting it all set up do a overnight infront of the house with the kids. The first thing I do wrong and took me about a hour of cranking up and down was the didn't unlock the ball hitch correctly. the tab wasn't pulled all the way back needless to say cranking the trailer up to the point the bed of my TV was over my head. I finally figured out what i did unhooked the trailer removed all the chains at least what i thought I did . We did'didn't stay in TT first night but the next day decided to level the TT and hook everything back up try to pull forward would 'nt budge tried backwards wouldn't budge floor the gas a bit heered a pop and trailer was moving but wheels weren't, stopped got out of truck walked around tried to figure out what went wrong noticed a thin cable hanging from my truck picked it up had a plastic t shape end on it didnt know where it went then bent down look under my TV and then under TT noticed the Brake saftey switch box and said hmm plug the plastic stick into it and could hear my brakes unlock. Then to add to the frustration got TT level and set opened the door and had no power dealer said he put 2 new bat in the TT needless to say I figured out the brakes drew all the power

Old 01-02-2014, 01:05 PM   #183

1. Tilt awning for rain runoff..... braces snapped, pole bent.. went through one on my PUP.. 1 on my 30'TT..

2. Bring awning in for winds.. was camping in the PUP when we had micro-bursts of 75MPH.. found awning in pieces around a 50 foot area

3. Refer to #2.. PUP camping in South Dakota.. went out sight seeing.. calm.. came back to the awning braces being bent, awning on top of the PUP, and vent-lid shattered.

So, for you at home keeping score.. PUP.. 3 awnings.. TT 1 awning. And the DW wonders why I am gun-shy about leaving the awning out...
John LLRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:13 PM   #184

Sorry Johnllrv but I'm bursting at the seems after reading your post. I'm also gun-shy about leaving the awning out after hearing of so many mishaps. I hope that's your last score.
equalizer 1000# hitch
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:57 AM   #185

Heh.. me too!
Old 01-03-2014, 07:27 AM   #186
Site Team

Wow John, you have quite a history with awnings!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:58 AM   #187

I'm gun shy about my awning too, and never even had a real incident. I'm hoping being this way will ensure nothing ever DOES happen.

One night I had decided to toss the dice and leave the awning out. Well, at about 0530 I was awoken by the tell-tale "kathump" of the awning getting blown around. I violently stirred and breathlessly asked DW "did you hear that?" She says, "yeah, what the hell was that?" As my head is clearing, I identified the sound and said "$h!t, that's the awning!" Bolt outta bed and run for the switch. Turned out it was just a little gust coming in with a cold front, and the awning did exactly what it was designed to do by collapsing on the strut and flexing back into place. But it sure did get my heart going that morning!

Lesson learned: bring the awning in at night, no matter what. And I didn't even have to learn that one the hard way!

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:06 AM   #188

I am known at the campground as either "Bald-ing Eagle" (kids gave that one to me..) or "Awning Man". Not the best one, especially now that "Trojan" has the "Trojan Man" commercials... gets a lot of laughs when I walk into the office for coffee..
Old 01-03-2014, 08:08 AM   #189

LOL!! I just heard the jingle in my head: "Awning MAN!!"

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:05 PM   #190

Haven't really pulled a bone head move yet but i'll find out next spring when I dewinterize my camper

1985 21' Hi-Lo (Sold)
93 Yamaha G9A

Dirtfan is offline   Reply With Quote