Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-08-2016, 10:27 PM   #381

I've missed the chocks a few time, but we're almost always on a level spot so it hasn't really bitten me hard yet. Worst that happened was I was on a slight incline, trailer didn't move until I set the first stabilizer, then it moved and bent the stabilizer a little. Whoops. Grabbed the chocks real fast, and I'm getting much better now about making sure they're the first thing in and the last thing out when I'm un/hitching.

My other boneheaded error was not noticing the black tank valve was open before dumping, and probably I was the one that left it open to begin with. That's a lesson I'll take all the way to my grave.
Rootus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:29 AM   #382

We setup the trailer this weekend on a spot we've been to several times before. I had DW check the level, and she said we were "in the lines" side to side, good front to back. So I said, "hey, if we deploy the slide, THEN the stabilizers, will that pull us more into level?" She said "Ya, I think so". So that's what we did.

I go about my chores on the outside, and a few minutes later she comes back out and asks me to check the level. Keep in mind, the trailer is disconnected from the truck, the hitch is stowed and the stabs are down, the X-chocks are in, and I'm unrolling the city water hose when she says this.

So I take a look. We're not "in the lines" at all! So the stabs come up, the X-Chocks come out, the hitch comes out and we hook up again so we can pull the trailer up on leveling blocks (on the SLIDE side!). All the while, it's 100,000 degrees outside because we live ON the sun.

You'd think I've learned to check the level myself!! We ALWAYS need a set of blocks on that side for this spot!!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:37 PM   #383

We had our trailer out the last week of April. Cleaned it all out and back to storage it went.
This week we take it out of storage to get ready for a week in the Canadian Rockies.
My wife comes into the garage where I'm tending to some last minute "man things" while she is loading the groceries etc and says the freezer smells kinda funny but there's nothing in it and it's clean. So I goes out to take a look. Yup empty and clean. I didn't think it smelled bad (wife can smell a mouse fart from 3 miles).

So I opens the fridge.

Well holy crap what died? But... The fridge is empty and clean too. Hold it... Wait a minute... I opens up the drawer at the bottom and .... Oh muh gawd - it's rank - it's green and soupy- SOMEONE fergot to empty the drawer. There was cold cuts, cheese, some mystery something we can't tell or remember what it might have been in its 1st life and about a 1/2" of liquidish substance. Um honey? I think I found it! I crawl out on my hands and knees, gagging and my eyes are watering. Tell DW an old fire dept trick when you find someone a week into heaven- to rub Vicks Vapo-Rub on your upper lip and around your nostrils and breathe through your mouth. Drawer emptied straight in the garbage can. Sanitized, sterilized, bleached, washed, sanitized again. 2 hrs later, 3 dogs and 2 cats are feverishly trying to find out what smells so damn good in the garbage.
I know DW won't make that mistake again.
PhyerPhyter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:52 AM   #384

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyerPhyter View Post
We had our trailer out the last week of April. Cleaned it all out and back to storage it went.
This week we take it out of storage to get ready for a week in the Canadian Rockies.
My wife comes into the garage where I'm tending to some last minute "man things" while she is loading the groceries etc and says the freezer smells kinda funny but there's nothing in it and it's clean. So I goes out to take a look. Yup empty and clean. I didn't think it smelled bad (wife can smell a mouse fart from 3 miles).

So I opens the fridge.

Well holy crap what died? But... The fridge is empty and clean too. Hold it... Wait a minute... I opens up the drawer at the bottom and .... Oh muh gawd - it's rank - it's green and soupy- SOMEONE fergot to empty the drawer. There was cold cuts, cheese, some mystery something we can't tell or remember what it might have been in its 1st life and about a 1/2" of liquidish substance. Um honey? I think I found it! I crawl out on my hands and knees, gagging and my eyes are watering. Tell DW an old fire dept trick when you find someone a week into heaven- to rub Vicks Vapo-Rub on your upper lip and around your nostrils and breathe through your mouth. Drawer emptied straight in the garbage can. Sanitized, sterilized, bleached, washed, sanitized again. 2 hrs later, 3 dogs and 2 cats are feverishly trying to find out what smells so damn good in the garbage.
I know DW won't make that mistake again.
I think we might have a winner!!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 08-04-2016, 09:20 AM   #385

Trial run with the toad. Made it to the park and home again OK. Pulled into the driveway, unhooked the toad, parked the RV, and discovered the toad in the middle of our neighborhood road. Oops, read the checklist carefully while unhooking toad. Setting the toad ebrake is on the list.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:19 AM   #386

PhyerPhyter might not have the most bone headed mistake - but he certainly wins the prize for best written humorous post. Especially the part about the animals wondering what "smells so damn good!" LMAO.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 12:00 PM   #387

Not me..

But the fellow I bought my Grayhawk from took off with the awning still deployed on the very first day he was using the RV...
Old 08-10-2016, 04:09 PM   #388

Just got back from a week boondocking in Southern Utah. Fisrt off, when we arrived at the site, I knew I had to fill the fresh water tank so I was able to get one within reach of the extra hoses I brought for that purpose. First thing I noticed was they do not have a standard threaded hose bib like the last time we were in the Sierra Nevada. So with help of friends was able to hold the hose tightly to fill it. Next thing- the wife informs we there is no water pressure. I could hear the pump running so assume it is just not pumping. (should have run it longer) but didn't want to run the battery down which was dumb since I couldve run the generator. So we just spent the next 5 days acting like we were tent camping like in the past and used water jugs to flush, etc. The next thing I find out when I went to the dump station with my portable (only have a 6 gallon black water tank) is they had a frech water fill up hose there. Oh well. fun experience nonetheless.
jerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 01:16 PM   #389

So since the season is quickly drawing to a close here in the North, (a good half or more of the CG's close this weekend), I'll relate my bonehead of this year from last weekend, in hopes that it is the last one of the year (probably a couple of more outings, so I still have a chance to one-up myself).

Pulled up Sunday to the dump station at a busy park in the Adirondacks right at checkout time. A bit of a line, but not too bad as they have 3 lanes. Get my turn and my dump goes uneventfully. Cap off the stinky slinky and start to compress the ribs and stuff it back into the tube mounted under the TT. It keeps getting stuck as I push it in. Strange? As I am compressing the pipe, it is opening up again inside the tube. This is bizarre. What the heck. Try again two or three times with the pressure mounting and the attentive audience watching.

Finally the nickel drops. I always compress the tube, then put the caps on. By putting the caps on first, I'm compressing the trapped air in the tube and it is just uncompressing the tube downstream. Duh!

But as one mistake begets another, I'm not done yet. I then quickly popped the cap off, WITHOUT first decompressing the tube. Kind of like popping a balloon. Got a little spray back, deflected off the ground and back into my face. Now luckily I had sprayed down everything, including the ground, pretty well with fresh water (the guy before me had spilled a bit and didn't do the courtesy), but I still feel dirty a week later...

Moral of this story? Once you have a routine that works, stick to it without wavering...
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 02:05 PM   #390

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
So since the season is quickly drawing to a close here in the North, (a good half or more of the CG's close this weekend), I'll relate my bonehead of this year from last weekend, in hopes that it is the last one of the year (probably a couple of more outings, so I still have a chance to one-up myself).

Pulled up Sunday to the dump station at a busy park in the Adirondacks right at checkout time. A bit of a line, but not too bad as they have 3 lanes. Get my turn and my dump goes uneventfully. Cap off the stinky slinky and start to compress the ribs and stuff it back into the tube mounted under the TT. It keeps getting stuck as I push it in. Strange? As I am compressing the pipe, it is opening up again inside the tube. This is bizarre. What the heck. Try again two or three times with the pressure mounting and the attentive audience watching.

Finally the nickel drops. I always compress the tube, then put the caps on. By putting the caps on first, I'm compressing the trapped air in the tube and it is just uncompressing the tube downstream. Duh!

But as one mistake begets another, I'm not done yet. I then quickly popped the cap off, WITHOUT first decompressing the tube. Kind of like popping a balloon. Got a little spray back, deflected off the ground and back into my face. Now luckily I had sprayed down everything, including the ground, pretty well with fresh water (the guy before me had spilled a bit and didn't do the courtesy), but I still feel dirty a week later...

Moral of this story? Once you have a routine that works, stick to it without wavering...
I'll admit to doing the same thing when packing up to leave from our first outing of this season. Fortunately we were at a full hook-up site so nobody waiting in line for me to amuse.....
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 03:11 PM   #391

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post

I've done this too! Though, I didn't get any spray back. I always keep that one cap off until the hose is almost all the way packed in the bumper. Then I put it on, stuff it in and put the bumper cap on.

The one time I forgot, I spent a few seconds trying to figure out why my hose suddenly didn't fit any more! So I pulled it out a bit before I took the cap off (to avoid a puff of "stinky slinky" air ... or worse), then went about my aforementioned routine.

If this is your most boneheaded move, you're doing pretty darn good IMO!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 09-03-2016, 05:12 AM   #392

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurJayco View Post
We took delivery on our new TT in April (Some snow in Minnesota). Our PDI went great. We video-taped it on our camcorder and we wrote notes on a note pad.
Our first camping trip with our first TT took place in Duluth, MN. It is a 2 hour drive from our house in Minneapolis.
We made the trip up to Duluth and found out real quick that our first campground was not what we read in books and brochures.
Anyway................I got the truck and TT backed-up in our site.
We are very excited about our first camping trip in our first TT.....
In the excitement...I did not place the chocks between the tires on the trailer.
As you can imagine, this is a mistake on my part.
Our First trip, first trailer, by ourself, in a place new to us, on a lake.
When I disconnected the trailer from the truck, the trailer started to roll away..........down hill.............towards the BIG lake...........Rather fast!!!!
I grabbed the tongue of the TT and told my wife to back the truck up so I can re-connect everything and save our trailer. :error:
She was not sure what to do! As it turned out, the tongue jack came off the block and stopped the trailer from rolling off in to the lake.

We now have a rule..............Chocks set between the tires BEFORE we disconnect.

I hope everyone gets a good laugh from our mistake. However, I hope all of us can learn from this as well.
I know that it never comes to mind in an emergency but pulling the break away cable will engage the trailer brakes.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk
Old 09-03-2016, 05:50 AM   #393

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrumfield View Post
I know that it never comes to mind in an emergency but pulling the break away cable will engage the trailer brakes.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk
I actually hold my break away cable while unhooking just in case... My biggest bonehead move continues to be the failure to raise my stabilizers before lifting the tongue to hitch up. Sadly I've done it more then once but luckily no damage...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:38 AM   #394

Having spent several years camping with a slide out, thought I was pretty slick and have everything down. Spot the unit in the site, check clearance to power box, and have wife start extending slide. I try to be outside so if something wonky occurs or my measurements are off I can see. Well it is almost out and then it starts making a horrid noise and stops. WTH??? Yell to wife to pull it back in and no issues there. She starts extending it and it slows down at the same spot again. This time I hear a crack. STOP!!!!

Sure enough, after checking everything, the thing I missed was that LCD TV that is stored in a cubby that is covered when the slide is pulled in. On this site, I had to go uphill and it slide forward against the slide. When I extended it, it basically crushed it against the lip of the slide and the frame of the cubby. I guess my "checked everything" was not so thorough after all.
Aardvarkjff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:49 AM   #395

Haven't had one in a long time. This weekend, we spot the rig in our site, left/right level checks out, so unhitch and level front/back, drop stab jacks, DW hooks up power and gets the AC running, I dismount the WDH and store it away and install the X-chocks, DW informs me it's time to run the slide out, so I walk over to observe. Uh oh. That power pedestal looks like it might be close. She runs the slide out, I stop her because about 4" from end of travel, the slide it touching the power post! DOH!!

So we remove the X-chocks, bring up the stabs, get the hitch back out and on the truck, etc ... all to pull the trailer forward about 2 feet so the slide will clear the power pedestal and parking block.

Then something in the trailer made a big noise. Found out later that my son's trailer (I use it to tow him behind me on my bike) has blown a tire. I put too much air in it and it split the tube! DOH!

Other than those two minor hiccups, the trip was pretty good. But now I've got a stomach bug!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 09-16-2016, 02:49 PM   #396

What`s your most boneheaded RV moment?

I know this isn't horseshoes but does close count?

We got all unhitched and setup and THEN the DW says "are you sure the main slide is going to make it?"

It did - by the thickness of a piece of paper!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Old 09-16-2016, 04:26 PM   #397
Site Team

As long as you don't trip a breaker!!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 06:17 PM   #398

Lol. I think I could still open the box. That plastic fender is pretty flexible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Old 09-16-2016, 07:23 PM   #399

Just two weekends ago, we brought ours home from being at the dealer for warranty work. As i was unhooking, I commented to my wife "I hate the way the truck rolls forward a few inches as the ball releases". Well, it rolled forward......and kept rolling! For some reason, and, the only time I've ever done it, I shut my tv off, without shifting into park. Lucky for me, the trailer was well chocked, and my wdh bars were still attached to my tv. One of the wdh chains caught the tongue jack just enough to stop my Xterra from taking a solo trip down our drive, and into the woods next to us!

David
astrowolf67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:54 PM   #400

I left a small bottle of dishwashing soap in the plastic kitchen sink. 400 miles of rough roads and when we set up and had dinner and washed the dishes, the wife accused our dog of peeing in the floor. I told her the dog didn't pee soap suds... yep, sink was cracked... Nice mod, though. Instead of paying WAY too much for a factory sink, I was able to find a small stainless steel sink and it was a nice fit. Everybody ended up happy.