Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-04-2017, 07:48 PM   #421

I did a bonehead on my trip down to Vegas this year. I stopped for the night at a truck stop that has shore power. I had stayed hooked up of course but parked at the end by the field and had plenty of room to put out my slides. The big rigs sort of boxed me in overnight (I've stayed there in the same spot twice before and never had that happen - no clue why there were SO MANY of them this year!) Anyway, I was so preoccupied with squeezing my way out the next morning that I forgot to bring in the bedroom slide (is that a good excuse?). That was the very first time I didn't look at my "leaving" checklist - won't do that again. I had my right mirror set low so I didn't see it - drove 80 miles before a nice couple passed me, waving frantically and pointing over to the passenger side. Finally thought to bend down a little and look high. It didn't hurt anything but I felt foolish. You know, a couple of semi's kind of pushed me a little to the right when passing and I thought they were sleeping at the wheel or something. Do you think they were trying to tell me something?
Max & Mocha May - Chesapeake Bay Retrievers
MzLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:28 AM   #422

I accused gremlins and just maybe my DW of misplacing the socket for my drill to raise and lower the stabilizers. I bought another one and made a big deal about showing her that it should be stored "here in this toolbox right next to . . . the missing one". [emoji19]I'm certain I checked that spot multiple times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2017, 07:52 AM   #423

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
I accused gremlins and just maybe my DW of misplacing the socket for my drill to raise and lower the stabilizers. I bought another one and made a big deal about showing her that it should be stored "here in this toolbox right next to . . . the missing one". [emoji19]I'm certain I checked that spot multiple times.

You know she put it back when you weren't looking!!! Stir Pot...stir pot.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:27 AM   #424

Quote:

Have you ever noticed that when looking for something that you misplaced

Its always in the last place you look
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:11 AM   #425
Site Team

The bonehead thread has been very active lately. Misery loves company!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:57 PM   #426

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedrck46 View Post

Always. But mostly because I quit looking after I find it. [emoji3] [emoji6]
Old 01-06-2017, 01:58 PM   #427

Best advice I've read. When you finally find the item, keep it in the first place you searched.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:29 PM   #428

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedrck46 View Post

Quote:
Best advice I've read. When you finally find the item, keep it in the first place you searched.
Or perhaps, and I'm just spitballing here, back where it belongs. Which incidentally should have been the first place you looked anyway! LOL!!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 02:58 PM   #429

I pulled two of them during our first camping trip over New Years.

The first was with the black water tank drain....well there was actually two for one here. We basically dry camped and did the liquids only in the black tank since our TT is already winterized. So at the end of the weekend I went to hook up to drain the black tank prior to departing the CG. First I tried doing so without using the snake hose support, which resulted in me having to keep picking the hose up to drain due to the low spot, once I put the hose on the support everything drained fine. But the main problem was after screwing in the orange Camco multi-size threaded adapter into the 4" sewer connection the clear elbow on the hose kept wanting to pop out of the adapter. I saw where the elbow had four small locking tabs, but the connection on the adapter was smooth, so I used a rubber doughnut to help keep the elbow attached to the adapter. This worked OK. When we got home it was still bothering me so I went to Camco's website and looked at pictures of the adapter, which showed slots for the elbows tabs to lock into. So now I'm a little upset because I think I got a defective adapter that didn't have the locking slots in it. After about an hour of looking at pictures while at the office it hit me like a ton of bricks.....the adapter can be threaded in either direction in a 4" sewer connection, so I threaded it in upside down so that the short, smooth tail piece was looking upward and the slotted connection end was looking down into the sewer pipe.....doh !!!

The second was my biggest fear come true, luckily I caught myself when the electric jack started sounding different. Our neighbor came over to chat as I was hitching up, which threw me off track a little. Started raising the jack and noticed it started bogging down a little, right then I remembered my golden rule of always confirming that the stabilizer jacks are up before attempting to hitch up. luckily I caught it and lowered it back down without any damage to the stabiliziers......won't do that a second time.

Good thing our first outing was in the winter and the campground wasn't packed with spectators .

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 10:26 AM   #430

Two mistakes in one day. One could have been serious.

I stopped by my TT at the storage area to start the refrigerator the day before we were leaving. The light kept blinking indicating it wasn't firing. Being well educated by these forums I turned on a burner to get the gas flowing which fixed the problem. However instead of turning the burner to off I turned it to the lowest setting. I discovered it 16 hours later. 😨

After hooking up to the city water the water was leaking all over the side. I assumed something was damaged do to a nasty freeze we experienced. No problem I filled my fresh tank and started wondering if it would be covered under the warranty.

Today I searched the forums, learned about the check valve, and went out to check the check valve. Hmm the screen is missing. Hmm the washer is missing. Hmm they are stuck on the other end of the house. Seems when I threaded the hose together to stop any drips I inadvertently transferred the washer to the other side.

Another day to do something else boneheaded.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:09 PM   #431

I guess this one has to go to my son in law. I was with him the first time he emptied his black tank--moral support, I suppose. After he connected the hose and opened the tank valve, he realized there was a cap on the end of the hose. He was holding the hose down low, below the level of the tank when he removed the cap. I started to say NO but I was too late--he even got to wear some on his face.

Is there any smell on earth worse than a black tank?
Old 01-15-2017, 01:42 PM   #432
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacs View Post
Is there any smell on earth worse than a black tank?
Yes there is! Someone else's black tank. LOL
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:57 PM   #433

Headed to AZ for a bit, load generator in truck bed, secure with ratchet strap. First fuel stop straps come off and generator has worked itself under pin box. Generator now needs new handle after pin box crushed one end.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 08:54 AM   #434

Finished financing on my new 28BHBE only to realize a day later that my tow vehicle was only rated for 7000 lbs, not the 10500 told to us by the car dealership last March. Spent all week looking for a new TV. Purchased a new 2016 Chevy 2500HD. Now we are ready to bring the TT home once the ground either re freezes or it hardens up in the spring.
Tokensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 10:58 AM   #435

When we first got our camper, we were going off on maybe the second or third trip. Anyway, in our yard, we usually park the tires on about a 4 foot 2 x12 piece of wood. We're all loaded up and ready to pull away. I pull off the wood planks and I hear this load crack. Well, I stopped and got out to look. I found that the trailer tires flipped up the piece of wood and it was wedged between the back tire and the sewer tank release. It ended up damaging the release a little, but not to the point it wasn't still functioning. Glad I stopped or that could have possibly ripped it right off.

Our last camping trip, we got home after about 2 hour drive. We opened the camper to start unpacking and saw that the tv stand was still up and the tv was still sitting on it. How it made it all the way home and didn't fall off and smash to a million pieces, I'm not sure. We lucked out on that one too.
jbsteuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 02:19 PM   #436

Well, I did another bonehead thing today! Towed 5er home this morning and left it for the wife to get it ready to leave tomorrow. She calls me at the office and tells me that the slides won't move...they don't even make a noise like they're trying to move. So I come home early and start off by using the remote...nope...nothing! So I try the physical slide buttons in the control panel...nope...nothing! I check the fuses...I check the batteries...and then it hits me! I never put the battery shutoff back in the on position!

I connect the battery shut off and all works now...Gee...go figure! DW was smart and kept quiet, as I was already calling myself a dumba**!
Old 02-16-2017, 03:58 PM   #437

I would have said "Who turned that off"
RogerSwann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:18 AM   #438

My wife cooked a delicious meal
After eating and relaxing we kept smelling something really bad.
Thought our dog had a bad case of farts.
About 30-45 minutes later I realized she left gas on without it being lit.
Was very thankful that neither of us were smokers as we could have blown ourselves up
On my first trip I didn't have the sewage end turned all the way onto black tank so it got messy & stinky before I could shut off valve (yuck)
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:57 AM   #439

What`s your most boneheaded RV moment?

I was actually talking about it on another post. I left my awning up when going out for dinner not realizing a thunder boomer was about to roll through. The storm was quick, but it rained like heck. I returned to a totally destroyed awning. Ughh... What a mess. I was sick over it. I had to man handle the bent tube so I could roll it up enough to get in the camper. Hard lesson learned. Now I always close the awning. Even if I'm only leaving for 10 minutes!
Old 03-21-2017, 12:06 PM   #440

Last weekend was our first trip out of the season, I usually make this list during that trip.

My wife decided she wanted to help out this time in the setup. I was happy about that. After backing into our spot, she asks if it's ok to go ahead and plug in to shore power... Not thinking as clearly as I should (still in shock that she's helping) I say yeah, go for it!.

Thankfully the power was good, I always use my EMS but she didn't know about it. As she's plugging in and I'm getting ready to take the camper off the hitch, I realize there is a parking block right in the way of our door steps.. I can either pull forward, or back to correct the problem. I end up backing up over the power cord without realizing it.

I think all is well, we chalk the tires, unhook everything, finish the setup. During tear down a couple days later I realized I'm parked on top of the power cord and unable to retract it. After pulling forward a few inches it's obvious that I've destroyed it, jagged holes along the jacket.

Always looking for the bright side of things, my pending mod to replace the retractable cord with a socket just jumped up to first place on the list. Lesson learned.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote