Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-21-2017, 07:21 PM   #441

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
Always looking for the bright side of things, my pending mod to replace the retractable cord with a socket just jumped up to first place on the list. Lesson learned.
No more mouse hole for you!
Marinco (30ARVKIT) 30 Amp Detachable Power Conversion Kit | eBay
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:26 PM   #442

About 150 km into a 400 km trip, we stopped at a rest stop to stretch our legs, use the facilities, and take a breather. I decided to take a photo of the truck and trailer connected together. Then I look another look at the photo, and realized I forgot to connect the breakaway cable. This is the actual photo; if you zoom in, you can see the cable hanging down below the hitch. No harm done, except I felt like a big dummy.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0774.jpg  
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 06:24 AM   #443

I drove away with the emergency braking cable connected.And the biggie was someone told me to dump bleach in the toilet, after i dumped it and before i started to drive. I was on the road and forgot to, so i pulled over at a rest stop and put the bleach in the toilet. Well, it created a chemical reaction and started to smoke. I drove home and filled the toilet up and dumped it (which was clean of waste thank god). There is ammonia in the blue toilet liquids which created a chemical reaction with the bleach.
mdilauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 06:49 AM   #444

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdilauri View Post
There is ammonia in the blue toilet liquids which created a chemical reaction with the bleach.
This one is scary. In the enclosed space of an RV bathroom that could've been fatal.
howlin4you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:33 AM   #445

Yes. I wanted to share because I have heard a lot of people talk about doing this. Even if they clean the toilet with bleach it could create a bad situation. Thankful it was only me in the camper and I realized what I did as soon as I added bleach. I opened all the windows and vents and started to drive. I was 15 minutes from home when this happened. I use the blue tablets and didn't realize they had ammonia in them. I was foolish by not asking myself what chemical was in the tablets at all for that matter.
mdilauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:20 AM   #446

When we had our toy hauler, I once drove away from a campsite without plugging in the 7 pin umbilical cord to the tow vehicle. Dragged on the pavement for 1/2 mile or so before I realized it, and wrecked the plug.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:29 AM   #447

LOL I'm a little embarrassed as my wife and kids always call me the doomsday prepped, but we went on a short trip to the beach, and when we got there we put the kids in the shower. The water that came out was completely green. I had forgotten to treat the fresh water tank when I filled it up two months prior. Ooops I had to drain 65 gallons, fill it, treat it with tons of bleach, wait overnight, then drain it again.

Regards,
JP
2007 20BH Jayco JayFlight
2009 F150 5.4L SCrew Cab XLT
JPBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 03:18 PM   #448

Already had a few in just the 2 months of ownership. The worst one so far was arriving late to the site, and trying to get set up before dark.

Hooked regulator to site and it was leaking there. Forgot I was missing an O ring. Tried for 20 minutes to remove even had a friend give it a shot. Didn't have tools and borrowed from a friendly camper nearby.

Turns out... we were turning it the wrong way the whole time... Wow! He's an aircraft mechanic too! I guess because the faucet was a U facing the ground, I got confused.
TMatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 04:05 PM   #449
Site Team

Hard to believe but it's been over 6 years since I created this thread and now there have been 447 bonehead replies which make all of us feel better that have had these incidents. Rock on.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 05:23 PM   #450

Crabby I have slowed in my production of posts to this thread, so maybe an old dog can......
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:45 AM   #451
Site Team

Ok here is my latest. I backed up the truck to the trailer Thursday afternoon to hook up getting ready for a 3 night trip. I lowered the jack and hooked up the coupler to the ball. Then I proceed to raise the jack to install and engage spring bars. The coupler slips off the ball. Ok I'm thinking I did not have the lock engaged properly. So I lower the jack, lock the coupler on the ball again and raise the jack. Once again the coupler raises off the ball. Hmmmm, scratch head. Next I pull truck slghtly ahead thinking the ball is too tight on the coupler to properly lock. Go through the process again and same result. Dam. Then to my horror I realize I still have my 2" ball and shank in the receiver that I use to tow other trailers, NOT my WD hitch with the 2 5/16 ball!!!!!! Even if I got it to couple up there was nowhere to install the spring bars! Duh! Bonehead moment! Oh well the only thing hurt was my pride and the ten minutes or so lost messing about with the wrong ball and shank.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:23 PM   #452

Talking Plugged Drain?

First trip in my new Jayco. After a few days the sink in the kitchen would not drain. Went to check to make sure the drain valve was open. It was so I tried some drain cleaner. No help. Got a snake but still no help. After reading the manual I realized there was a drain valve located about 6 feet down from where all the water and others drains are located. My brother got a good laugh as did I.
Tim&paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:47 PM   #453

Went camping for the week. Woke up at 2am to a beeping. After a little investigation found the propane detector beeping and flashing a fault code. The fault code was for either low voltage or internal error. As it was our first night and we have 2 brand new 12v batteries I figured it was an internal error as I could not fathom it being a low voltage code. Back to bed.... woke up in the morning to find both our batteries were stone cold dead... pulled the battery out of the pick up and put the dead batteries one at a time into the truck to charge them up as we do not yet have a solar panel or generator. After some investigation I found the pin for the break away switch laying on the ground. I guess when I disconnected the truck i somehow pulled the pin out of the break away switch energizing the brakes killing the batteries. I will always double check this from now on. Oops.
Cranetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:08 PM   #454

Oops!
Better check the brake magnets. The high current draw over a long period of time could have damaged them!
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 05:15 AM   #455

I mounted mine inside the plastic propane cover with elastic cord, made de a little "net" that it fit snug in.
DStrachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:50 PM   #456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
Prior to buying our TT we used to rent a pop-up and go camping. We drove 2.5 hours and finally arrived ready to set up and get something to eat. After backing in and pulling forward a dozen times (with some "discussions" between my wife and I) to get the camper where we wanted it I unhooked and started leveling it. That's when my wife reminded me we didn't fill the camper with water when we pulled in.

I hooked back up and go to the water source to find that it was full of water from the last person that rented it and I had pulled the camper 150 miles full. :hihi:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
drdontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:02 PM   #457

A few years ago I went to a week of camping in a city park, set up for a music festival. We had to use several water hoses to get water to the trailer. After I was all set up we had to alter that hook up to accommodate my brother who had arrived late. I added a "wye" connection with valves onto the supply pipe of my trailer and went inside while my brother went to turn on the water. A few seconds later the inside of my trailer was getting hosed down from water spraying up and in off of the window directly above it. I had left one leg of the wye open, aimed straight up! I had to use every towel, and microfibre wiper in the trailer to soak up all the water. The next Christmas I received a dozen individually wrapped hand towels, which have accompanied me on every camping trip since!😉
DStrachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:10 PM   #458

Yeah will do don't want brake issues.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:29 PM   #459

Ok I have a new one.
I had my awning out and the weather radio went off about 1:30 AM so I decided to bring in the awning to avoid damage. I removed the lights and the towels hanging from it and started to bring it in. I have a power awning and the switch is by the door. I'm looking out the door at the awning (door is blocking my left side view of the side of the camper). All of the sudden I hear a small pop and the awning goes a bit crooked. I fully opened the door and saw the camp kitchen table lodged under the bottom of the slider rod in the track of the awning that is mounted to the side of the camper. The motor kept running, did not slow down made no noise and bent the arm like a McDonald's arch!!!! The back of the table just caught it. The table didn't flip up. If it was an inch further out it would have missed it. I could not believe it. I had to remove the WHOLE AWNING because it would not go in, would not go out and a storm was coming. I was on the roof with a Phillips screw driver and a flashlight. I had to use a picnic table and a cooler to get up there. I'm buying one of those collapsible ladders now. The next day I had to go to Walmart and buy a hacksaw to cut the bent parts off the arm so I could get it to fold down to get home. I had to tie the awning to my roof like a canoe to get it home. It was a total freaking disaster.

I had to buy a new arm at the low price of 338.00 and reinstall the darn awning. This is a lesson I will never forget. Don't let ANYTHING Sit against the camper in that area. The motor won't stall and it will bend the crap out of it. The door nicely blocks that view and at 1:30 am I guess I was still half asleep. It makes me wish I had a manual awning.
Jflyboym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:42 PM   #460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jflyboym View Post
Ok I have a new one.
I had my awning out and the weather radio went off about 1:30 AM so I decided to bring in the awning to avoid damage. I removed the lights and the towels hanging from it and started to bring it in. I have a power awning and the switch is by the door. I'm looking out the door at the awning (door is blocking my left side view of the side of the camper). All of the sudden I hear a small pop and the awning goes a bit crooked. I fully opened the door and saw the camp kitchen table lodged under the bottom of the slider rod in the track of the awning that is mounted to the side of the camper. The motor kept running, did not slow down made no noise and bent the arm like a McDonald's arch!!!! The back of the table just caught it. The table didn't flip up. If it was an inch further out it would have missed it. I could not believe it. I had to remove the WHOLE AWNING because it would not go in, would not go out and a storm was coming. I was on the roof with a Phillips screw driver and a flashlight. I had to use a picnic table and a cooler to get up there. I'm buying one of those collapsible ladders now. The next day I had to go to Walmart and buy a hacksaw to cut the bent parts off the arm so I could get it to fold down to get home. I had to tie the awning to my roof like a canoe to get it home. It was a total freaking disaster.

I had to buy a new arm at the low price of 338.00 and reinstall the darn awning. This is a lesson I will never forget. Don't let ANYTHING Sit against the camper in that area. The motor won't stall and it will bend the crap out of it. The door nicely blocks that view and at 1:30 am I guess I was still half asleep. It makes me wish I had a manual awning.

Poor guy I feel for you and yes the more I read about power awnings the happier I am I have a good old manual one