Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-01-2017, 12:54 PM   #461

I pulled a good one a few days ago.

First off, we have never used our indoor stove for cooking. I have lit it a few times just to confirm that propane was to the back of the trailer prior to lighting the refrigerator. So our propane tank is typically closed unless I'm cooking outside.

I just got a new Coleman Roadtrip grill and converted it to low pressure and decided to go try it out in our driveway to make sure it worked. Hooked it up to the quick coupler in the back and turned the tank on up front, lit the stove a couple times to confirm that it would work on the low pressure system. Turned it off and closed the tank valve.

After closing the valve I decided to go inside the trailer real quick to grab a few items, as I put the key in the door I hear a loud beeping from some sort of alarm, so I think "great, time to change a battery somewhere". As the door swings open I realize that the alarm is down low by the door, about that same time the smell of propane hits me. I never even stepped up onto the first step when I realized that there was raw gas in the TT. Ran up to the front and confirmed that the tank was indeed shut.

After maybe 30 seconds the alarm quit beeping, I then stood outside with the door open for another 10 minutes before I went in.

Started to try to figure out where the "leak" was when I happened to glance at the stove........for some unknown reason one burner knob was turned to the on position . I have no idea how it got turned, must have either got bumped while we were unloading from the previous weekend trip or....toddler .

So the moral of the story is even though we always keep our tank closed when not in use and never cook on the stove, I'll always go inside and check to confirm that the stove knobs are in the off position before turning the tank on.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 02:51 PM   #462

I finally had an incident that qualifies...I backed our camper into my garage a few weeks ago. No major damage thankfully, bent the ladder a little bit and a few boards on my house now need some fresh paint.

I can only blame the guy that forgot to turn on the backup camera lol

Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 03:27 PM   #463

Well I guess this may qualify. We had a Jayco Eagle Travel Trailer and were camping at a local campground. After we went to bed it started raining and I remembered I had forgotten to roll the awning in (manual) so I ran out in my BVD's and could see the awning was very full of water, I was on the outside of the awning and when I finally was able to release the pin the arm came down and I was was knocked to the ground by the water and drenched! Next day I assessed the damage and the main roller had a pretty good bow in it making it almost impossible to roll in. I was able to get the bow out with a couple saw horses and a come-along a few days later. So except for the personal embarrassment nothing was damaged too badly.
rdlouks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:56 PM   #464
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force View Post
I finally had an incident that qualifies...I backed our camper into my garage a few weeks ago. No major damage thankfully, bent the ladder a little bit

I did the exact same thing last summer..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:10 PM   #465

I just wanted to say that this is one of my favorite threads! It just verifies (for me at least) that I'm not the only "bonehead" out there! We all have our moments...
Old 08-02-2017, 11:03 AM   #466

Oven operation

1st trip out flooded living space with kitchen sink on with stoppers in, 2nd trip out thought oven was broke after not lighting with turn knob used for burners ..... read manual after getting home to discover you have to light pilot by hand .... No more leaving manual home
Grumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:56 PM   #467

Thank you everyone for sharing honestly! It does make one feel just a bit better hearing about other people's bonehead moments.
Jflyboym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:47 PM   #468
JOF Mascot

We needs more boneheads.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:57 PM   #469

Not my most, but a few days ago, I went to close one of the sliding windows. The ones that slide latterly. I got irritated as it wouldn't budge. Past center. Figured it was another quality issue. Grabbed some tools......

I was moving it the wrong way. Works as it should.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
2022 Chevy 3000HD Dmax
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:01 PM   #470

Drove to a campsite an hour away with the coupler unlocked on one of our first outings, only thing that kept the trailer from disconnecting was the Equalizer. Needless to say I double/triple check the coupler lock now

JeremyFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:06 PM   #471
Site Team

Last trip we set up after a long day drive in the rain. I connected the water and reconfigured the valves to city water.
We were inside 30 minutes later and my wife kept saying she heard a different noise. I brushed it off as wind because it was raining outside.

We had some friends picking us up to go eat and when I went outside, I heard water running. A quick look under and water was pouring out of the fresh tank overflow.
I had set one of the valves wrong making them fill the fresh tank.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:14 PM   #472

Quote:
Originally Posted by nambarc View Post
We needs more boneheads.
Alright, it's been a while, but I got one (or really a few) a couple weeks ago.

Over-nighting in a WM parking lot on a long trip. We pull in, I throw open 1/3 of the tonno cover and fire up the generator, unplug the trailer from the truck, plug in the trailer shore cord to the genny.

About 1/2 hour later I'm laying in bed and the genny begins bogging down. So I go out in my skivies to see what's the matter (knowing that the gen can't breathe). Sure enough, the genny got too hot. So I opened up the tonno all the way and dropped the tailgate. Problem solved, genny getting cool air and evens out quickly.

So, I take my shoes (covered in mud and canine excrement from an earlier boneheaded moment) and toss them a little further into the bed of the truck so they're not just hanging out. That night it storms something fierce. I immediately think about my shoes in the back of the truck. They're water proof, so no big deal.

Get up the next morning to take the dog to do his business (same dog) and go looking for my shoes. I dump all the water out of them (waterproof=holds water). And all the "stuff" remains.

We pack up, swing by the fuel stop, top off the truck and the generator before getting on our way and start hauling down the freeway. It's raining, so WS wipers are on which means the lights are on (automatic in my truck). We've been on the road for almost an hour and DW says "hey, why aren't the lights on the trailer on?" To which I immediately respond "awe crap! I forgot to plug the trailer back into the truck!" We pull over and I can DEFINITELY tell I'm not hooked up (no trailer brakes) as I exit the freeway. I get us hooked back up and we get the kid squared away with his DVD player and we get back on the way.

Luckily, rest of the trip (12 days) went without incident. So I'm glad we got all that out of the way on the first night!!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:56 PM   #473

Pulled my own BH move this past week. Pulled my HTT up to the site, needed to turn left into the site as it was a pull through so I line up, stop to get out to look at the site and my Buddy says, "Boy you are close to the tree on this side" (that is the curb side of the HTT).

I get out and look and think, Ya that's close but in my mind I am turning left into the site therefore pulling away from the tree right?... Wrong.

My Awning clipped the tree and caused it to pop off the tracks a bit. Thankfully I stopped as soon as I heard the contact. When that happened, the Awning arm literally folded/Rolled the Rain gutter above the HTT door down over it so now I can't get in the trailer and my tools are inside. I managed to find a tent peg that I was able to pry up the gutter so I could reach inside and grab my tools just inside the door. End result aside from the rain gutter above the door which is only cosmetic, Damaged ego and a a couple of scratches and a little dent on the Awing arm. Everything still works perfectly and folds up just fine. Phew!! I thought I was done.

Here are the pics. I definitely got lucky.

The Tree
The Door gutter
Scratches on the Awning Arm

Little Dent caused from contact with the Door Gutter.
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:12 AM   #474

I learned that the fresh water tank fills much faster if you close the drain valve before you start to fill tank.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2017, 09:02 PM   #475

Unhitched the TT from the TV but forgot to release the safety chains. Luckily I pulled away slow and the little nudge was enough to remind me. Glad no damage done.
NCMFFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 09:19 PM   #476

Delivered a boat with 1 7/8 ball then had to deliver a 38' park model felt a lot of movement in coupler stoped to check out, forgot to change head on convert a ball to 2 5/16.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:52 PM   #477

I have had my share of "Boneheaded" moments while camping the one that happened last month not only could have been very expensive, but also downright dangerous or even deadly.
After driving all day we finally made it to the campground. It was well after dark, I was tired, Wife was asleep in the truck/ I was trying to get our Fiver backed in to the site and I just could not get it set to suit me. Back and forth many times. After almost hitting the electrical pedestal, I pulled forward, forgot to put the truck in park, and got out to check behind. Well the truck started rolling forward, I was hanging on to the door, and trying to at least hit the brake pedal with my hand to stop it.
While everything turned out OK, didn't hit anything, and finally got the unit set I thought about the consequences, I could have hit the RV across the road, or worse lost my footing and get run over by my own truck!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lesson learned, now any time I exit the vehicle I double, and evn triple check that I have the selector in Park.
rdlouks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 10:26 PM   #478

This one made me sick....

Turned a corner and didnt see the huge overhang of a roof. Still cant believe i managed to do that one.
Attached Thumbnails
20160721_190744.jpg  
Old 09-18-2017, 04:23 AM   #479

Was filling fresh water tank (so I thought) when I noticed something. I hadn't closed the drain valve from the last time I drained the tank.
Got back on the interstate after fueling up when I noticed I didn't have my truck in tow mode. Luckily I had only gone 3 or 4 miles.
Bought a bakflush fitting for black tank. I opened the box and after looking at it stuffed the paperwork inside of it. First time I went to use it forgot to remove the paperwork. I couldn't figure out, with someone waiting behind us why the tank was draining so slow. Had to stop process and remove paperwork. That wasn't fun. Finally stopped banging my head against the wall a day later after that one

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2017, 12:14 PM   #480

Not me but spotted this bonehead traveling down Rt 128 / Rt 95 South on Monday, heading back from the NASCAR race in NH.

And by bonehead, I'm not even referring to the roof he's slowing tearing apart, it's that he blew by me going at least 80MPH.

Or perhaps I'm the bonehead for catching up long enough to have my wife take this picture LOL
Attached Thumbnails
20170925_113712_small.jpg  

Force is offline   Reply With Quote